Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

By the wat all that talk about Sharon Carter she is Peggy's grand niece

Yermande wrote: »
    What are people's feelings on the X-Men appearing in the MCU? Would we be looking at an entirely different cast? I kinda think it has to be.

I think they may keep the X men cast depends on how Dark Phoenix goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

The girlpower thing was just clunky. I understand they were trying to make a point but I don't think it came off well and it just made me and the people I was with laugh because it was so painfully unsubtle. Took me slightly out of the moment but got over it quickly enough!

I'm still trying to digest everything and figure out the time travel bits, I thought Steve would just have ended up in a different timeline but seemingly he just grew old "behind the scenes" of the timeline we have watched for the last eleven years. Did he put all the stones back into "our timeline", so the branches that the ancient one mentioned then didn't occur? Did he have to reinject Jane with the reality stone? Where does Loki's disappearing act fit in, or did that not happen in our timeline because Cap went back and put the space stone back. Time travel hurts my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They will definitely recast all the X-men feige has said as much, don't think they will be introduced as hamfisted as say Fox or DC would, some of the x characters fit in perfect in some of the current franchises, Rouge with Captain Marvel ,Storm with Black Panther etc

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

how'd Tony get the stones off thanos glove so quick? you know when he snapped his fingers and nothing happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Loughc wrote: »
    Just home from seeing it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The 3 hours speeded past.

It’s certainly an end of an era. Ironman and Captain America were central to the Marvel universe and the Avengers.

It’s strange this was the most excited I’ve ever been for a movie and seeing how many screenings sold out tonight and 8 midnight screenings last night in my local cinema sold out means I’m not alone in the excitement but as soon as the movie ended and the realisation that team will never be the same and no RDJ or Chris Evans my interest in Phase 4 has fallen off a cliff.

I will approach phrase 4 with the upmost of hesitation and reluctance. As far as I’m concerned Endgame was the perfect ending and while I understand theres nothing but endless piles of money to make for Marvel they need to be careful going forward.

I am pretty much of the same thinking, it will be the true final film for me and let it go out on a bang. Marvel can then go an do the whole girl power thing in phase 4, aim it at the next generation ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I already thought that 1 of
    Black Widow or Hawkeye/Ronin would die but as another poster said that due to the fact the soul stone was returned does that mean Black Widow lives and for the fact Gamora
    Where is the Hammer now
    How do they make the infinity Stone into the tesseract again?
    Infinity War Gamora is gone forever but replaced by Gamaro from the past timeline°

Black Widow has a upcoming solo movie and remember that it's a soul for a soul. Return the soul stone and you get a soul. Ergo, Black Widow is back.
    Cap very clearly picks it up before time travelling. He took it back to past Thor.
    They don't. The space stone is inside the tesseract. It's just a container. Remember in Infinity War when Thanos crushed it to reveal the stone?

----

This movie is a 5/10 for me. First two acts are boring as f... and there is zero impact from the narrative. The Russos have a terribly bland style and no signature to their movies.

The amount of foreshadowing to
    Starks death
    was over the top.

Infinity War was far better.

Infinity War Gamora is gone forever but replaced by Gamaro from the past timeline°

Black Widow has a upcoming solo movie and remember that it's a soul for a soul. Return the soul stone and you get a soul. Ergo, Black Widow is back.
    Cap very clearly picks it up before time travelling. He took it back to past Thor.
    They don't. The space stone is inside the tesseract. It's just a container. Remember in Infinity War when Thanos crushed it to reveal the stone?

----

This movie is a 5/10 for me. First two acts are boring as f... and there is zero impact from the narrative. The Russos have a terribly bland style and no signature to their movies.

The amount of foreshadowing to
    Starks death
    was over the top.

Infinity War was far better.
    I was thinking that with Black Widow just wanted it confirmed
    Are you sure he brought it back to Thor. Was the Hammer that Thor fight with in the battle not the Hammer from Asgard when he went there for the stone and he says I am worthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I really liked what they managed to do with Hulk but really like, it would have been so much better if he was Ragnarok Hulk and he smashed like **** having been unable to in the first film. Really wanted to see him and Thanos have a rematch.
    Ah, but Hulk in an Ant-Man suit.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    BTW how did the truck get down there
    The truck was in the warehouse for the 5 years, until Ant-Man brought it to Avengers headquarters.
    how'd Tony get the stones off thanos glove so quick? you know when he snapped his fingers and nothing happened?
    Glove made by Stark Industries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Teenagers are the worst. So little regard for anyone else around them. Wouldn't shut the f*ck up with the constant loud talking and I've never heard a cinema so loud when it comes to snacks. Like some of these gobsh*tes behind me HAD to have been doing it on purpose. Imagine a plastic bag being smashed and crinkled for three f*cking hours straight and you get the idea. Oh, and chew with your mouth closed ffs.

I've never been more annoyed and distracted in any screening before. This film's release coinciding with school holidays was a disaster. If I wasn't concerned with missing bits of the film, I'd have demanded that the staff kick them out. Proper f*cking scumbags. :mad:

Despite that, I still enjoyed the film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

It is when the staff want to get home on time.

They should probably re-adjust "on time" to allow for actually finishing their job before they leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

The problem is I’be seen XMen and FF numerous times. No matter how good Marvel do it, it’s been done. The story, origins, villains all too familiar.

I disagree, at least with the FF. Just don't do Doctor Doom straight outta the box again, please. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

They should have waited until after Endgame to introduce Captain Marvel. She swoops in our of nowhere as the big hero of this ten year saga, but she wasn't needed to beat Thanos.

Was she added in post production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Victor wrote: »
    The truck was in the warehouse for the 5 years, until Ant-Man brought it to Avengers headquarters.

The question was how did it get into the warehouse it was in when the rat activated it, as at the end of Ant-man/Wasp they were on top of a multi storey parking lot.

Ant-man's daughter aged quicker than some soap opera characters in those 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

About Gamora 2. Does she have to go back to 2014 as nothing can be taken from the past? I don't remember her being in the ship at the end but may have missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

The question was how did it get into the warehouse it was in when the rat activated it, as at the end of Ant-man/Wasp they were on top of a multi storey parking lot.

Ant-man's daughter aged quicker than some soap opera characters in those 5 years.

If you left a truck on the roof of a multi-storey car park would you honestly expect it to still be there in 5 years time? There is a whole industry dedicated to moving parked vehicles.

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    If you left a truck on the roof of a multi-storey car park would you honestly expect it to still be there in 5 years time? There is a whole industry dedicated to moving parked vehicles.

Yeah but eventually it would be sold/stripped.

Not that it matters ultimately. It was just a bit of a plot contrivance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

MUFC91CS wrote: »

There were abandoned vehicles literally lying about the place the entire time in San Francisco that nobody had moved.
    Kirby wrote: »

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is Sharon not Peggy's Granddaughter at least as would she have had to been in her 50's or 60's when Captain meets her in the movies

Peggy was Sharon's aunt or great aunt. Not sure exactly but definitely not grand daughter. Sharon specifies the relationship in her eulogy for Peggy if you want to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah but eventually it would be sold/stripped.

In the unit where the truck was stored, on the fence in front of the truck was a sign that said "Lang".

I think what it implies is that after the snap, people's belongings (in some cases even vehicles) that may have been left out in public were collected when it was assumed they were snapped because nobody knew what happened, or if/when people would come back. So these things were all put in storage to remove them. After that though, given how basic society collapsed (as we can see with how desolate everywhere had become), stuff was just left in storage for the most part. So Scott's truck just sat there,because there was no-one to organise selling or stripping it (plus given the state of the truck and the no doubt countless other cars/trucks that would also have been abandoned, it just would have been considered junk and not worth the effort to do anything with).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also what’s stopping 2013 Thanos stealing the stones again.

Seeing they dropped back all of the infinity stones. I get that 2014 Thanos is dead but what about pre-2014 Thanos?

Seeing they dropped back all of the infinity stones. I get that 2014 Thanos is dead but what about pre-2014 Thanos?

This is why I promised myself I wouldn't get in time travel debates. :D People are tying themselves up in knots over it elsewhere.

Haven't a clue, but I imagine it's because it's business as usual for 2012/3 Thanos who wouldn't be aware of any time shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The way I'm treating it is that if 2014 thanos isn't there to do infinity war, everything in this movie doesn't happen. But if this movie doesn't happen, 2014 thanos is there to make the events of infinity War happen, which makes the time travel of this movie happen. But that means 2014 thanos isn't there to make infinity war...... Etc etc etc

So the universe does itself a favour and says time is looped so all of this happened and we can all carry on going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

As I understand the logic, everything that happened in the previous movies, still happens. So, basically, there are two Thanoses. The one who travels to and dies in 2023, and the one who goes on to collect and use the stones as we saw in the previous films.

Doesn't make much sense to me either, and maybe I missed some key dialogue that further explains it, but I wouldn't overthink it. It's really just a way for Marvel to do a time travel story without ruining previous movies for audiences. I'm sure the next Avengers movie will be Kang (a time traveller from the comics) telling Banner he's a moron and he doesn't understand time travel at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

2013 Thanos is 2014 Thanos though no? Like there is no Thanos from 2014 on because he jumped forward he was killed in 2019?

Also someone back there mentioned captain marvel. The guns turning and firing was a pretty cool scene in fairness but she wasn't remotely needed and my big fear going into this was that she was going to come in and save the day kinda taking from the decade long story. I knew it wouldn't happen but a part of me thought it would be a deadly plot point if he kicked her ass like the hulk in IW. Although getting the drop on her with the switching the stone between hands was pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Teenagers are the worst. So little regard for anyone else around them. Wouldn't shut the f*ck up with the constant loud talking and I've never heard a cinema so loud when it comes to snacks. Like some of these gobsh*tes behind me HAD to have been doing it on purpose. Imagine a plastic bag being smashed and crinkled for three f*cking hours straight and you get the idea. Oh, and chew with your mouth closed ffs.

I've never been more annoyed and distracted in any screening before. This film's release coinciding with school holidays was a disaster. If I wasn't concerned with missing bits of the film, I'd have demanded that the staff kick them out. Proper f*cking scumbags. :mad:

Despite that, I still enjoyed the film.

haha, I feel you. My viewing had a drunk guy light up a cigarette and start puffing away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya the time travel gubbins is going to get a lot of people worked up with alternative timelines.

2014 Gamora has no idea about Quill, hence why we see Quill at the end "searching" for her on the ship, at the moment, shes jumped 5 years into the future and has no attachment to the GoTG or Quill.

I think they'll handle it by having everything pre-2014 Thanos as not being aware of the future until hes dragged into 2019 by the 2nd Nebulas recording and then going to chase the stones.

Unless we assume that the Ancient One isnt talking out her arse and Cap has put the original stones back into play to balance the universe, everything is wrapped up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the best review title ive seen is "Brie Larson didnt ruin Endgame" :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still haven't seen Black Panther and didn't see Captain Overkill neither can't wait for a southern Mutant to come along and kick her over brooding ass. Get it done Disney.

Rollercoaster of a movie cementing Barton's turn in the opening scene was so captivating Thor Hulk and Tony's character development was shocking I expected more deaths, the lift scene was an extremely satisfying Easter egg as was Thor's roommates. A lot of plot holes and too much tying up of loose ends for guardians related stuff but Star Lord getting his groove on my god that was epic. Good way to spend 3+ hours I'll wanna see it again but more likely with Infinity War first as trying to remember some of the scenes was hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Dad Bod Thor, simply astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

bur wrote: »
    They should have waited until after Endgame to introduce Captain Marvel. She swoops in our of nowhere as the big hero of this ten year saga, but she wasn't needed to beat Thanos.

Was she added in post production?

I think they did it well, she got some screen time but the movie focused on the originals. Again she appears at the end to to destroy the ship whichbwould have obliterated them by the looks of it

Peggy was Sharon's aunt or great aunt. Not sure exactly but definitely not grand daughter. Sharon specifies the relationship in her eulogy for Peggy if you want to find it.

Ya giggled it after great grand niece. I was reacting to some posts of Captain tapping her earlier as if she is his daughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just back from it and I don't know was I expecting too much but the film was a massive disappointment and a bit of let down IMO.

Id have preferred if they had killed off another half a dozen characters or so in the process of retrieving the stones and fighting Thanos at the end, there was no real sense of danger for the characters.

Tony's scene was predictable and it didn't really connect emotionally as the film still had 10/15mins to play out.

The only one I feel sorry for was Thanos, the universe was at least balanced and better off the way it was when he was off farming. :pac:

For me, Infinity Wars was a better film, to paraphrase and steal Tony's words : part of the journey (infinity wars) is better than the end (endgame).

It wasn't all bad but I didn't get a sense of much devastation from the "vanished" there was a memorial park in San Francisco and a meeting group setup by Captain America and the odd scene where people mentioned dead loved ones.

The powers of the heroes vary wildly too, Thanos seemed as powerful in this with no stones as he was in the last film with a gauntlet full and Thor was nerfed massively, storm breaker cut through the full power of the gauntlet last time but was stopped by a blade this time around made zero sense.

I think the Russos done a decent job over the two films but this was not much more than a solid 7/10 effort.

I pretty much agree with all that, maybe on second viewing I'll warm to it more but half way through it I wasn't getting into it at all.
    Some great moments but also more than usual that annoyed me and unfortunately they have stuck with me.

Prof Hulk was a let down, would have benefited from his creation rather than hearing it over a coffee, but there was enough time pressure on the story I guess.
    They could have shown a few shots of the wider impact of the snap, wouldn't have taken much time for that.
    Thor was turned into a joke, hard to take him seriously again. As above, Storm breaker was able to best Thanos twice but it and the hammer wasn't able to do much against his new blade, was it Valayrian steel?
    I get Cap was worthy to wield the hammer but how was he able to call on the lightning? Ragnarok made the point that that ability was always within Thor, and the hammer just a conduit to focus it.
    The 'girls night out' would only have been more cheesy if they suddenly pulled on Black Widow t-shirts.

The undo of the snap brought everyone back but as they were 5 years ago, food supply, difficulties with unsnapped having moved on from snapped partners, property inheritance etc. terrible idea, just to ensure Tony's daughter still existed and it was a fair chance she would have been conceived anyway.
    The final battle was impressive if a little over whelming, spent more time focus on who all the characters were rather than the action. The Black Order we're seriously underpowered this time.

I did like the Hawkeye arc, esp as he was a character I wasn't bothered with in the past.
    Sad seeing Black Widow and Ironman die, they did a top job on Tony's death scene, not over the top.

Overall, I enjoyed it but it didn't have an impact on me like IW did.
    Overall I felt they tried to cram too much and too many characters into it, and the whole story was all down to a rat.

Oh, and spoiler tags are not necessary anymore folks.

silverharp wrote: »
    the best review title ive seen is "Brie Larson didnt ruin Endgame" :D

While a believe people were obsessing 2 much over her are her role when she did get knocked into next week in the battle I did go thank f^%k and thought the same as the above

haha, I feel you. My viewing had a drunk guy light up a cigarette and start puffing away.

While inconsiderate and illegal........at least that's quiet. Like, I missed so much dialogue because of loud asshats. One example, Sam's "On your left" moment when he appeared beside Cap? Never heard it. Had to just read about it online.

I'm still a little annoyed, to be honest. I might go see it again in a couple of weeks when the f*cktards are all back in school.

Mine had just started and it was delayed by 15 minutes because of latecomers. All teenagers, arms full of junk food and the fact they were late didn't faze them, marched all the way up to the back looking for seats and then moaning on the way down that they'd have to sit at the front.

paulbok wrote: »
    I get Cap was worthy to wield the hammer but how was he able to call on the lightning? Ragnarok made the point that that ability was always within This, and the hammer just a conduit to focus it.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

The undo of the snap brought everyone back but as they were 5 years ago, food supply, difficulties with unsnapped having moved on from snapped partners, property inheritance etc. terrible idea, just to ensure Tony's daughter still existed and it was a fair chance she would have been conceived anyway.
    That's all true.....and ripe for a certain villain to be brought into the fold.

Either way I'd say there will be consequences to the unsnap, starting with Dr Strange 2 and possibly beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's all true.....and ripe for a certain villain to be brought into the fold.

Either way I'd say there will be consequences to the unsnap, starting with Dr Strange 2 and possibly beyond.

Yeah, the conversation between Tilda Swanson's character and Banner really pointed to a potential conflict for Strange - even though the events of Endgame ultimately prove him to be correct.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

Yermande wrote: »
    What are people's feelings on the X-Men appearing in the MCU? Would we be looking at an entirely different cast? I kinda think it has to be.

Thry need to severly curtail the number of mutants. Any Xmen crossover always highlights how stupid things are, mutant registration but not for super powered individuals. Anti mutant sentiment but love Ironman, cap, spidey, FF.

Have it that the triggering of all the stones and gamma bursts has triggered mutation but only in limited number (even say that mind stone didn't change Wanda, just triggered latent mutation potential)

I'd honestly prefer if they didn't and FF would be a MUCH better fit for MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thry need to severly curtail the number of mutants. Any Xmen crossover always highlights how stupid things are, mutant registration but not for super powered individuals. Anti mutant sentiment but love Ironman, cap, spidey, FF.

Have it that the triggering of all the stones and gamma bursts has triggered mutation but only in limited number (even say that mind stone didn't change Wanda, just triggered latent mutation potential)

Ya, I was thinking that if thy wanted to bring in mutants, the constant snaps could easily be used as a way of introducing them.

It would also be a good way to potentially bring in the Silver Surfer, Rocket points out that they some weeks after the initial snap, they found traces of a massive energy surge across the universe where Thanos had used the gauntlet again to obliterate the stones, Silver Surfer could be attracted to such an event.

Thats years upon years down the MCU timeline though but the potential is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its prob not possible too add the current xmen too the MCU

The current x-men cast are finished after Dark Phoenix. New actors and stories will be told for the MCU. Wont be the same cast/timeline/universe. The only way that doesn't happen is if the movie does gangbusters. Like over a billion dollars. They might keep it going and sign new contracts if that happens.

It's unlikely to make that much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mine had just started and it was delayed by 15 minutes because of latecomers. All teenagers, arms full of junk food and the fact they were late didn't faze them, marched all the way up to the back looking for seats and then moaning on the way down that they'd have to sit at the front.

I had nerds behind me, one of whom was with a girl who had to have everything explained to her. I got the impression that she hadn't seen IW. :rolleyes:

It took multiple "shhhhhhhhs" and one "shut the **** up, lads, will you?" to stop them.

Loved the movie though.

On a side note, how can a cinema run out of popcorn for the biggest movie of the year? If I was managing there, I'd have had that popping machine going from 1pm all day yesterday to fill bags to have it ready. I'd say they missed out on a small fortune due to bad management (or laziness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Nobody would rescue Tony in space to bring him back to Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

5star02707 wrote: »
    Nobody would rescue Tony in space to bring him back to Earth.

On this, how did Cap Marvel know where Tony was?! Very disappointed with how 'simple' it seemed to find him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally, I think they should bring FF into the MCU - maybe there are other properties coming back that would fit too, and then have an X-Men Universe that is seperate, just as it was when Fox had it. As you say, mingling the two sets creates narrative problems, and would be in big danger of being very bloated.

If they treated them as two seperate franchises, it would also allow them to have a bit of distance between each movie of the respective franchises, and additionally more 'big' movies as you can have your 'Marvel' movies and then the team ups like Avengers, and you can have 'Mutant' movies and then big story line finishing movies for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

“I can do this all day”
    “Yea, I know, I know”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Imagine if someone's wife was lost in the snap and within the five years he moved on, met another woman and got married.

Then the first wife was brought back. From her point of view, no time has passed (based on Peter's chat with Tony). How messed up is that situation.

Advertisement