Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

titan18 wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed by it tbh. It's not a bad film, but it's weaker than IW, and a good bit more than some or the stronger individual films.

I don't think they show the devastation well, and cos of the decision with time travel and leaving the 5 years, there's plot holes all over the place. Few eye rolling moments too (that stupid girl power shot and Thor's beer belly) that really don't work imo.

Yea, this is kind of how I felt. They never properly acknowledged the millions of human lives that were lost regardless of whether the snap was reversed or not. Thor's beerbelly was played for laughs, rather than expanding on the broken man we saw at the start of the movie with severe survivors guilt.

The whole movie seemed really comedic, which lessened done if the tension and peril for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

For me, that movie was a fantastic achievement. Sure there were some flaws, but I can’t believe they did such a satisfying job tying up the 21 previous movies. Really looking forward to a second or more viewings to get my head fully around it. I watched it in a giant 600 seater IMAX and with the size of the screen I feel I missed things, especially in the final fight.

Can understand some who thought there was too much humour but I felt they balanced out well enough, with most being grim enough and this providing a nice respite.

Think it says a lot that the most consistent complaint raised here appears to be a 10 second shot of female characters, albeit one that could have been done more subtly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gardiner 2001

Very good film. Just wondering nw was it all talk of a new black widow film just to throw us off the scent what happens in this film or will that be somehow still getting made?

Very good film. Just wondering nw was it all talk of a new black widow film just to throw us off the scent what happens in this film or will that be somehow still getting made?

I always expected/hoped it to be a prequel/origin story. They've regularly teased her early years, right up to why she owed Barton, and I think it is the most interesting direction to go with it.

Post Thanos, I don't see how she'd end up off by herself in an interesting story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Well, that was emotional!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's got to be a prequel. Probably how she meets Hawkeye or joins SHIELD would be likeliest imo

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I always expected/hoped it to be a prequel/origin story. They've regularly teased her early years, right up to why she owed Barton, and I think it is the most interesting direction to go with it.

Post Thanos, I don't see how she'd end up off by herself in an interesting story.
    Was thinking that myself you just never know with the way they are thinking but your probably right with an origin story until it makes a billion and there like hmmmm maybe she did somehow survive....

Don't think I've ever left a cinema thinking I need to watch the film again, soon. Just from a stand point that there was so much in it. Did not feel like 3hrs at all.

That's got to be a prequel. Probably how she meets Hawkeye or joins SHIELD would be likeliest imo

Makes sense. Another way to have Hawkeye in it as well as he wouldn't be one of the stronger characters in my opinion

Makes sense. Another way to have Hawkeye in it as well as he wouldn't be one of the stronger characters in my opinion

Yup. Can bring Hawkeye and Fury in it. Set it late 90s, early 2000s or something

• Advertisement

I'd have more interest in a Ronin movie than a Hawkeye movie. He was calling his daughter Hawkeye in one scene. Could be setting up something there?

khaldrogo wrote:
    I'd have more interest in a Ronin movie than a Hawkeye movie. He was calling his daughter Hawkeye in one scene. Could be setting up something there?

I was fair disappointed he wasn't called Ronin once in this

Yup. Can bring Hawkeye and Fury in it. Set it late 90s, early 2000s or something

Feel they could span a longer period of time, show more of her childhood etc and lead up to whatever situation with Barton/Fury/SHIELD. Given we know them they could be introduced late in the movie or her adversaries.

True as Samuel l Jackson always saying he wants his own film so another way to get him into the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm all for the empowerment of women, but marvel would have served its self and female empowerment better if they'd gotten the finger out years ago and had a female driven movie, or not fridged their female avenger for feckin Hawkeye!!
    They managed a balanced empowering movie in Black Panther that didn't look like pandering to women, so they're capable of it, they just don't seem to care and thought a token gesture was enough!

In fairness though, I appreciated how they did Widow's death in that she wasn't sacrificed, or they didn't fail to save her etc. She wasn't "fridged". She sacrificed herself. She went out on her own terms by her own choice. I found her death to be more about her story arc (and the end of it) than serving Hawkeye's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever left a cinema thinking I need to watch the film again, soon. Just from a stand point that there was so much in it. Did not feel like 3hrs at all.

Thanks! my thoughts exactly. My son asked me this morning could he see it again - he has more questions about this one then the last (which i though would be impossible)

And yea - the three hours had me concerned on the run up - but it flew by, very engaging film.

Edit: went IMAX and 3d - first Imax for me - double first for the young guest = really recommend the combo!

Think it says a lot that the most consistent complaint raised here appears to be a 10 second shot of female characters, albeit one that could have been done more subtly.

It's not the 10 seconds though. I was fully engaged with the onscreen action, it completely broke me out at a fairly climatic section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Not about the film per se, however theres a really cool non spoiler easter egg on google.

Google Thanos and then navigate to the right to click on the little mini gauntlet. Click on the gauntlet.

Have a look at the search results too. When its finished click it again. Then look at the search results..

Pretty Cool

It's not the 10 seconds though. I was fully engaged with the onscreen action, it completely broke me out at a fairly climatic section.

The infamous circular shot from the first Avengers movie was also during a climatic section of the movie. They also managed to ram in one into AoU, in the church during the final battle.

This is arguably the most forced, but it isn't by much. I'm pretty confident that if it was any other group of characters, other than female heros, then it wouldn't get more than a passing comment. Some people are just hypersensitive about these sort of nods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you spent any time on youtube or gizmodo or anywhere else in the last year or so, nothing really surprised you about this movie: RDJ and Evans were done with their contracts and it was inevitable they would go out in some crescendo fashion at some point, and both of them did.

Cap’s ending was foreshadowed throughout his entire cinematic run, from the end of Cap 1 through Civil War and by the heavy handed way they reminded the casual audience that he still had a Peggy memento in Endgame. The passing on of the shield was good, and Sam is a better choice right now than Bucky, who is still effectively reeling from his Winter Soldier days and hasn't got his heart fully in it right now. There are the time paradox questions, since the scene violated the movie's own stated rules about time travel, because Cap should have ended up in an alternate future, not the same one he left from, given that he significantly changes the past by eloping with Peggy, unless I missed something, because she says she married, in Winter Soldier (via museum clip):

"That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve... Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would... who would become my husband as it turned out."

They could retcon this to say that is secretly Steve himself, and thus its a self-fulfilling paradox or whatever, and so he'd age through the same timeline, but it just doesn't seem to fit. People would surely know that was Rogers, if so? She was too tied in to SHIELD for them not to notice her husband was Captain America. This is a hard thing to nitpick about but because I'm that kind of nerd (who watched BTTF, Bill and Ted, and other aforementioned films while the team mocked Scott Lang) it was distracting enough that it pulled me out of what should be an otherwise great ending, me manly throat did tense up a smidge seeing him off in the distance on that bench though.

Tony’s end was a bit less certain going into the movie but still unsurprising: this became his arc as early as Avengers 1, making the sacrifice play, the PTSD, the armor around the world (which he reminds everyone about here), and is all but heavily foreshadowed in Act 2 with the way we get to see how his life would play out, child and all, he even gets to have an emotional moment with his dad in the 1970s where he essentially gets to tell him what he wanted to anyway with the BARF. So its not like his death robs the audience of his character arc: they’ve already shown it to us (and he can still live on in hologram form, clearly, when/if needed), for the same reason his death lacked the feeling of any gut punch to me, even though he’s the father of the MCU. Plus, RDJ in the bath robe we get a glimpse that as an actor he's physically beginning to show his age.

I did like his last line: “And I, am Iron Man,” which harks back to basically THE moment audiences knew the MCU was born, and that Iron Man wasn't just some on-screen facsimile of a comic book but would take on life of its own, eschewing the then-standard 'secret identity' trope. But for purely fantheory reasons, I would have preferred his Iron Gauntlet was left-handed (reason being the first thing we see in the MCU is Tony holding a scotch on the rocks, left-handed, in the Fun-vee) but it’s equally fitting I guess that they use a right-handed one to set things right, herp.

From the first act of course any doubt you may have had that the MCU was throwing you red herrings about the quantum realm/time travel were dismissed, when Thanos loses his head. But how they reintroduce 2014 Black Order was actually pretty sweet, it was reasonably clever. It did make me wonder why Tony doesn’t accidentally link back up with JARVIS or his home cluster when he travels back to 2012 though on accident, but presumably he'd just turned his Wi-fi off.

Cap holding Mjolnir was foreshadowed in Ultron of course, but it was still a surprise here just because we had forgot about Mjolnir for a little bit. Maybe Cap was worthy back then, but he just ‘didn’t want to’ pick it up. Thor getting that scene with his mom was sweet BTW. Thor as Lebowski was a bit overplayed, but then again they had to hit a sweet spot where even a few minutes less would have seemed cheap. Also they clearly just borrowed stock footage of Portman?

The New York stuff was all great. America’s Ass, Hulk in the staircase, Loki (and the possible setup for the Disney+ show), Hydra/the nod to the most epic brawl in the MCU, the joke about the ‘Hero Pose’ at the end of Avengers 1, Prof. Hulk’s whole exchange with the Sorcerer Supreme, they nailed it. Heck, nobody’s even gonna question all the building damage Cap and Cap did, because Chitauri. The only bugger I have here is how they go from Tesseract -> Space Stone -> Tesseract when they have to return it to its point in time.

I really wish they had done a better job of explaining the Soul stone: Red Skull is “cursed” with knowing everyone who comes to Vormir; Thanos was “not the only one cursed with knowledge,” just after acquiring the soul stone and encountering Tony - I would have liked knowing that the reason Thanos is that familiar with Stark was the Stone (or even the explanation behind Kid Gamora) but I guess they do dismiss this because yes duh, Thanos knows the Avengers. But that is lame. To me anyway. Just a tad. In Infinity War we see Power, Space, Reality, and Time each get some legit limelight, but the Mind Stone only sort of (Vision's pew pew head laser, and ostensibly all of Scarlet Witch's powers) but neither the mind stone or the soul stone are seen used as standalone infinity stones.

Professor Hulk was just all the way awesome, through and through. Carol Danvers' new haircut looked fresh AF, comic come to life.

Great movie, not my favorite, but totes a blast. Gives us the fanservice the MCU was building up to but somehow didn’t hit all cylinders for me. I have to chew on this more. Maybe the film will appreciate or depreciate on me. Some characters felt shortchanged, like Rhodey, Okoye, etc. - Ebony Maw who was conveyed as such a telekinetic threat in Infinity War gets treated like a mid tier scrub here (as do all of the Children of Thanos). And what about poor Eitri did they just fck off and leave him forever alone on Nidavellir again? And that Girl Power moment was verrry contrived, but fck it, it may as well have been a direct 'fck you, trolls' response to fragile males online who have been enraged about diversity since, Gamergate or something.

I see it again on Saturday in genuine-aspect IMAX 3D instead of a matinee screen maybe that will help - given it’s one of 2 films to be fully filmed in (some version of) IMAX, that would be the way to give it its full due.

I am SO ready for Asgardians of the Galaxy.

The infamous circular shot from the first Avengers movie was also during a climatic section of the movie. They also managed to ram in one into AoU, in the church during the final battle.

This is arguably the most forced, but it isn't by much. I'm pretty confident that if it was any other group of characters, other than female heros, then it wouldn't get more than a passing comment. Some people are just hypersensitive about these sort of nods.

I was going to point to the Ultron one too. It was shot in a (contrived yes) way to bring them together and had the small-ish principal cast but there was a reason that they were all there defending that one point.

Endgame one was that but pushed way past 11, they were a group of people with no real reason to know/find/come together on the battle field and NOT for the group shot of Avengers 1&2 but for a committee driven reason.
    Most of those characters were absolutely owning it, in their battle scenes. They did not need a pandering shot.

I was going to point to the Ultron one too. It was shot in a (contrived yes) way to bring them together and had the small-ish principal cast but there was a reason that they were all there defending that one point.

Endgame one was that but pushed way past 11, they were a group of people with no real reason to know/find/come together on the battle field and NOT for the group shot of Avengers 1&2 but for a committee driven reason.
    Most of those characters were absolutely owning it, in their battle scenes. They did not need a pandering shot.

They didn’t need this shot, but they didn’t need the other clearly forced group shots either. They’re all there as ‘f*ck yeah’ moments and though this one might not resonate for you, I’m sure it did for many (especially a group that has been grossly underrepresented by the MCU thus far).

I don’t disagree with most of your points, I just feel the consistency of the complaints is over the top and a sign of hypersensitivity we see from a lot of people when it comes to blockbusters these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So seen it today. I thought it took to long to get going nearly an hour with very little happening and then the rest was ok but nothing great. It was better than Infinity War which was hardly going to be hard is it was only a below average film anyway but Id say this is an average film. A lot of it was predictable and while there was some humour there was not much.
    I thought there was a lot of bits that did not link well like Nebula ended up back with them in the future even do she did not come back with your man but we did not see her coming back either. What I mean is we see her on the ad but not coming back with him so she should have not been there and then there was Cap A able to use Thors Hammer like Why and How? Also I was disappointed that Captain Marvel did not get that much to do it was obvious who was going to die. Sure I knew that from last year.

So ye just 5 out of 10 from me.

Oh ye and by the way its only 2hours 40mins long not 3hours long.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ll just say this: this whole bloody movie is pandering :pac:

It’s an endless stream of fan service, cameos, callbacks, references, winks and nods. There’s 30-odd seconds, in a 180 minute film, where the women group up to kick some ass. Is it silly and contrived? Absolutely. It hardly makes up for the franchise’s weak record in giving its female stars their due. But it’s a film where the Hulk is a glasses-wearing nerd, there’s an alien rock monster with a New Zealand accent playing Fortnite, and a (final) completely unnecessary Stan Lee cameo (RIP to him and all, but his scenes throughout the MCU are the ultimate case of pulling the viewer right out of the story). If a few young girls or boys get a kick out of finally seeing the Marvel women team up for a couple of seconds, that’s the most important thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

AMKC wrote: »
    So seen it today. I thought it took to long to get going nearly an hour with very little happening and then the rest was ok but nothing great. It was better than Infinity War which was hardly going to be hard is it was only a below average film anyway but Id say this is an average film. A lot of it was predictable and while there was some humour there was not much.
    I thought there was a lot of bits that did not link well like Nebula ended up back with them in the future even do she did not come back with your man but we did not see her coming back either. What I mean is we see her on the ad but not coming back with him so she should have not been there and then there was Cap A able to use Thors Hammer like Why and How? Also I was disappointed that Captain Marvel did not get that much to do it was obvious who was going to die. Sure I knew that from last year.

So ye just 5 out of 10 from me.

THe nebula in the second half of the movie is the 'evil' nebula from the past. the present day one never returns (kinda sad that, hadn't thought of it.)

Cap America was worthy. that is why he could weild the hammer. It was hinted at in Age of Ultron.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

AMKC wrote: »
    No, it's 3 hours long. I checked my watch when it began and when it ended. The running time includes the credits as the listed time always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Just saw it this evening, really enjoyed it but I was kind of surprised that Captain Marvel didn’t feature more heavily in it, given all the hype that there was around her when Captain Marvel was released and in the run up to this being released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

They didn’t need this shot, but they didn’t need the other clearly forced group shots either. They’re all there as ‘f*ck yeah’ moments and though this one might not resonate for you, I’m sure it did for many (especially a group that has been grossly underrepresented by the MCU thus far).

I don’t disagree with most of your points, I just feel the consistency of the complaints is over the top and a sign of hypersensitivity we see from a lot of peoplemen when it comes to blockbusters anything these days.

Slight correction for emphasis. There have been a couple of commenters mention their daughters thought the bit was cool, neither seem to have paused much to consider whether their hot take on the "misstep" is in any way proportionate.

Amazing the way superman never gets the same complaints about being unnecessary or spoiling a film due to being "overpowered" only a female captain marvel.

Also strange the way black panther doesn't get the same level of vitriol for being "token" or "pandering". Captain marvel was a great film, made a billion dollars in less than a month, had people clapping at the end of my showing but strangely there are queues of men desperately spinning "everyone knows..." tales pulled out of their arse about how captain marvel and brie larson are personally the death knell for the mcu. Some "I'm not sexist" men might not like it but the only character / actor to kill marvel buzz was Iron fist, and even her detractors can't tell me brie larson ****ed up captain marvel like Iron fist single handedly ****ed up 3 different TV series.

If there is a death knell for the mcu it is more likely to be over exposure and viewer fatigue. They did the opposite of what most people expected ; instead of falling on their arse after one film they exceeded expectations and a lot of watchers are exhausted. The Netflix shows started to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

If that scene makes my daughter/niece/missus feel in any way empowered and want to enjoy and love what I do most (movie-wise) well then I'm all for it. It was 15 seconds, it affected nobody personally and if it did then I'd consider carefully looking at yourself and wondering why you're offended at 10 women in the biggest movie ever made :)

I don't think anyone is 'offended' that there are women in that scene, just in the manner it occurred. It felt unnatural in the overall battle scene, and very deliberate and to me looked like "get all the girleens together for a shot" tokenism.

Yes, I know, it's not an excuse but there you have it.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I saw her doing a little bit of work on the top of the roof. She was doing her finger wavey thing and cutting a couple of the riders in half or am I imagining it?

Think she was just protecting the sanctum from debris or stray fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Just saw it this evening, really enjoyed it but I was kind of surprised that Captain Marvel didn’t feature more heavily in it, given all the hype that there was around her when Captain Marvel was released and in the run up to this being released.

I think that was a deliberate to throw us off. Make us think that she was going to be the key to stopping Thanos when she was a very minor character

paulbok wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is 'offended' that there are women in that scene, just in the manner it occurred. It felt unnatural in the overall battle scene, and very deliberate and to me looked like "get all the girleens together for a shot" tokenism.

Posters felt 'offended' enough to make it the most consistent negative comment when I went through the thread and the shot only lasted for a couple of seconds.

As johnny_ultimate said, the whole movie is pandering to get audience reactions by working characters into certain situations/shots, but the number of posters who felt the need to comment on this and only this shot is interesting.

ixoy wrote: »
    No, it's 3 hours long. I checked my watch when it began and when it ended. The running time includes the credits as the listed time always does.

The Chinese edit of the movie is 2:40, which is what the leaked torrent is supposed to be from.......

Ms

Drumpot wrote: »
    Do not read spoilers if you Haven’t seen movie!!!!

Biggest cheer in cinema I was at was when
    cap uses Thor’s hammer

Think I might have to see it again before judging. I enjoyed it but after 6 hours of avengers in the cinema, I’m still sweaty, only getting home and a bit
    sad that iron man and the Cap are retired
    THe nebula in the second half of the movie is the 'evil' nebula from the past. the present day one never returns (kinda sad that, hadn't thought of it.)

Cap America was worthy. that is why he could weild the hammer. It was hinted at in Age of Ultron.

Awe ok.

The nebula in the second half of the movie is the 'evil' nebula from the past. the present day one never returns (kinda sad that, hadn't thought of it.)

I got that.

I think the present day one does return. She is on the ship with Gomorow is she not?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Actually very close to how they treated Black Panther last year for Infinity War. Between the logistics of shooting the solo movies alongside and knowing what the fan reception would be like it is probably hard to put them in central roles, especially with this being the swansong for the older guys. Say if Captain Marvel was a disaster making her a central character could doom this movie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Went to see it and loved it but didn’t get one part.

In Infinity Wars Thanos clicked his fingers to wipe out half of all living creatures.

In this movie Hulk clicked his fingers to bring the half back again

Then Tony Stark seem to be able to select who he wiped out when he clicked his fingers.

So if that was possible Why didn’t Thanos wipe out all threats to him in the first click

Ms

paulbok wrote: »
    The Chinese edit of the movie is 2:40, which is what the leaked torrent is supposed to be from.......

You telling me the cinema I seen the film in used a Chinese edit version of the film. It started at 3.14 finished at 5.55 but I did not stay for all the credits so maybe there was another 20 mins after that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

In Infinity Wars Thanos clicked his fingers to wipe out half of all living creatures.

Then Tony Stark seem to be able to select who he wiped out when he clicked his fingers.

So if that was possible Why didn’t Thanos wipe out all threats to him in the first click

If he done that then you would have no Avengers Endgame.

I say Tony just thought wipe out all the bad guys and done that where as Thanos was only thinking of wiping out half of all living creatures. He really did not care who or what got wiped out. That or did not think about before doing it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You could think of the glove (well the combined infinity stones) like a genie granting wishes.

Thanos wished to remove half of all the living
    Then Thanos wished to destroy the infinity stones so no-one else could make a wish

Avengers brought a set of infinity stones back together

Hulk wished to restore the half of all the living who Thanos had removed using his wish... and Nat.

He said he also included Nat. He loves Nat. He wanted Nat back. Well, that's what he said. I mean we're not guaranteed that it didn't work. Just because we haven't seen Nat.. doesn't guarantee it didn't work. It may well have worked. She's getting a film. Maybe it worked or.. Maybe the film is a prequel. Who knows.

anyway, that's besides the point and what you asked about Thanos.

Thanos1 is dead. Thanos2 did have a similar thought as you though.

Thanos1 was all like.. I've removed half the living... Everyone will love me! .. but nah, Thor chopped off his head.

Thanos2 was all like.. hmmm maybe I should try something a little different.. try to keep a head etc.. so he said he was gonna wish to remove all .. then rebuild everything from scratch .. except to not let anyone know what he did.. you know.. so Thor wouldn't chop off his head presumably because he hadn't met Captain Marvel who would likey have just broke Thanos2 into two.. or more.. parts

Amazing the way superman never gets the same complaints about being unnecessary or spoiling a film due to being "overpowered" only a female captain marvel.

Also strange the way black panther doesn't get the same level of vitriol for being "token" or "pandering".

Superman constantly has that complaint. No stakes for most of his fights. It's not just a female thing, it's a complaint every overpowered superhero has gotten.

Black panther had the exact same token complaint. A lot of people thought it was only given Oscar consideration cos of it's tokenism. Black Panther also had the benefit of having a likeable lead and it being an excellent film.

As for that girl power scene, it was incredibly forced that took you of the action. There was no issue with it in Infinity War as it made sense, or no one is giving out about Scarlet Witch ripping Thanos apart so Thanos has to call down rockets. It's not a female vs male thing, it was an eye rolling scene that was not done for any consideration of the actual film or story, it was done just for social media/metoo bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Juat back from it, thought it was brilliant. So many good points but i'll just ramble here on out.

I thought the way it went back to the old films was a laugh, the different angles and getting to see what happens after.

I liked that ant man got a lot more time in this movie rudd does play him well.

Havent decided yet how i feel about hulk/banner. I was hoping for more from him action wise, but loved everything else he was in.

Thor seemed a lot weaker i thought and the him getting fat jokes started to wear off fast.

Got goosebumps with the thanos, cap, IM, and thor fight. Just cap left against this whole army and theres a shot of him standing on this rock. Looked unbelievable and then you hear falcon, "on your left" i was like ****ing lets go!!

(The on your left, now that i think about is a nice nod to the park run when falcon and cap first meet)

Im off to see it again tomorrow so will get a better feel for it but overall really enjoyed it.

Btw, Why didnt nebula tell everyone on how to get the soul stone, as in a life a life.

One huge gripe i have is not with the film but people in the cinema.
    There were a load young kids in my viewing, i thought **** here we go so sat in the middle beside some indian family.......not a peep out of the any of the kids there, they were glued to the screen.

But this ****ing family, the husband would not shut the **** up. On the phones, talking to each other in indian.

The funeral scene got to a few of the kids and i heard a few wet noses, people having a little cry. Its an emotional scene, wrecked by this couple going on talking. Totally ruined it for people, along woth many scenes.

I told them several times to stop talking as did others. If you dont want to see a film, why the **** are you there. Really grinded me.
    As i left they got some verbal abuse off people who had enough of theor ****. Rightly so, i love going to the cinema and being totally engrossed in a film, has to be one of the worst when people start acting up during it.

Thats the rant over

Superman constantly has that complaint. No stakes for most of his fights. It's not just a female thing, it's a complaint every overpowered superhero has gotten.

Black panther had the exact same token complaint. A lot of people thought it was only given Oscar consideration cos of it's tokenism. Black Panther also had the benefit of having a likeable lead and it being an excellent film.

As for that girl power scene, it was incredibly forced that took you of the action. There was no issue with it in Infinity War as it made sense, or no one is giving out about Scarlet Witch ripping Thanos apart so Thanos has to call down rockets. It's not a female vs male thing, it was an eye rolling scene that was not done for any consideration of the actual film or story, it was done just for social media/metoo bullsh1t.

Yep. In IW there was an all female scene with Scarlet Witch, Okoye and Black Widow vrs Proxima Midnight that was well done and completely fitted into the flow of the battle scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The present day one shoots evil Nebula.

Also strange the way black panther doesn't get the same level of vitriol for being "token" or "pandering".
    In fairness, Black Panther has taken heaps of abuse for being an average movie, over-hyped because it has so many black cast members in it. South Park even made an episode on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

So when Cap goes back in time and lives out a normal life, what happened the Cap that actually belonged in that timeline, wouldn't there now be two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You know the number of people making that complaint is orders of magnitude smaller, to the point its a niche, and nobody questions why superman movies get made, do they? Try and pitch a super"girl" (notice the character is called "girl") and suddenly it's tokenism.

The slow-mo scene in age of ultron is staged far worse and only exists for the fan reaction. This scene wasn't aimed at you, or internet man babies, that doesn't make it a film breaker. It's not great but it's not anywhere near as horrific as people have made it out to be.

If the problem with the scene was that it ruined the flow of the film, then the whingers wouldn't mention the feminist aspect of it. But strangely, there seems to be a problem with the very concept of such a scene existing.

Personally, I'm thrilled that black panther, wonder woman, captain marvel, star wars are starting to throw things in the faces of self important men and saying "don't like it? Look at this pile of cash from people who do. Welcome to the other side of what everyone else thinks of the overblown crap you love."

paulbok wrote:
    Yep. In IW there was an all female scene with Scarlet Witch, Okoye and Black Widow vrs Proxima Midnight that was well done and completely fitted into the flow of the battle scene.

Yup, all they needed was something like that again. You could have Okoye and her guard running up to Captain Marvel to help her through the area. You could have had her try and make it through herself and run into trouble and Scarlet Witch using her powers to get people across, or Pepper flying in and picking up Okoye and have Wasp on her back to help. Fair enough that they want to do it, and as meh as it is that it's committee made rather than director or story led, there are far better ways of doing it than what happened.

You know the number of people making that complaint is orders of magnitude smaller, to the point its a niche, and nobody questions why superman movies get made, do they? Try and pitch a super"girl" (notice the character is called "girl") and suddenly it's tokenism.

No one really calls Wonder Woman tokenism tbf. Captain Marvel got abuse cos Larsen is quite unlikeable, and Disney made it worse by powering up Marvel and saying she's now the most powerful hero whereas comic book wise, she's never held a candle to the likes of Thor.

No one really calls Wonder Woman tokenism tbf. Captain Marvel got abuse cos Larsen is quite unlikeable, and Disney made it worse by powering up Marvel and saying she's now the most powerful hero whereas comic book wise, she's never held a candle to the likes of Thor.
    I saw a couple of interviews with her with Thor/War Machine and Hawkeye and it was clear they don't like her. The interviews were so awkward and uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

bur wrote: »
    So when Cap goes back in time and lives out a normal life, what happened the Cap that actually belonged in that timeline, wouldn't there now be two?

You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!

Advertisement