Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartwatch for voice calls without requiring phone?

2»

Comments

mrcheez wrote: »
    Another update. I can initiate WhatsApp conversations using Google Assistant!

"Send WhatsApp message to Bob"

How do you manage phone calls? Just talk into watch or handsfree.

can you do that with just the watch without connection to phone?

so you could send a message but not receive one then (if not connected to the phone)?

do you use podcasts - is there a podcast app that works on the watch alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's plenty of podcast apps for it, just google wear os apps, has Spotify etc.

Going to have to check out the what's app more, I think mr cheeze is saying as long as there both connected to the internet but not necessarily near each other the what's app will work, so in theory level the phone at home connected to WiFi and have your sim in the watch and you'll be able to send and receive WhatsApp if I'm understanding him correctly.

Call are simple just talk near the watch or connect to something bluetooth, like the car or a headset. Call quality is good nobody could tell I was on my watch.

The watch is basically a smartphone that takes a sim and runs android. No mobile phone required, it's a stand alone device.

There's plenty of podcast apps for it, just google wear os apps, has Spotify etc.

Going to have to check out the what's app more, I think mr cheeze is saying as long as there both connected to the internet but not necessarily near each other the what's app will work, so in theory level the phone at home connected to WiFi and have your sim in the watch and you'll be able to send and receive WhatsApp if I'm understanding him correctly.

Call are simple just talk near the watch or connect to something bluetooth, like the car or a headset. Call quality is good nobody could tell I was on my watch.

The watch is basically a smartphone that takes a sim and runs android. No mobile phone required, it's a stand alone device.

yes I'm aware that it takes a sim

how is the battery life for you with mobile connection on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yeah so here is setup...

- Mobile phone: at home, connected to wifi, no SIM

- Watch: 10 km away from phone, connected to data via SIM

Whatsapp message comes to my phone, and then is sent to my watch. I click "Reply" on the watch and can reply by typing or (my preference) dictating the sentence. I click send on the Watch, and it updates my phone which then updates Whatsapp.

If I want to SEND a new Whatsapp message rather than just reply to one, I go to Google Assistant and say "Send Whatsapp message to..."

I was out last night, using the watch for Whatsapp and paying for my drinks. Battery lasted around 6 hours with my constant fiddling.

On a normal day I would get a full 24 hours.

When using it sparingly I get 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cheers that's exactly what I wanted to hear, not even bothered about replying to what's app just need to get the message in case it's important..

I might have started a revolution here :)

Also would be great to see less mobile phones blocking your view at gigs if everyone just had watches instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

Found this from BA cheez.

Would https://web.whatsapp.com/ work on it on the browser?

Maybe not as you need to scan in a q code on the phone to activate it but might be something to try.

brightkane wrote: »
    Found this from BA cheez.

Would https://web.whatsapp.com/ work on it on the browser?

Maybe not as you need to scan in a q code on the phone to activate it but might be something to try.

WhatsApp works fine with the watch in that it works with the built-in messaging service on the watch, which then communicates with your phone Whatsapp via the cloud.

e.g.
    - Me out in park / My phone at home
    - Swipe left to open up WearOS voice commands
    - "Send Whatsapp message to John"
    - "Hi there"
    ... watch sends message to phone via cloud
    ... phone submits message to John via Whatsapp

No need for Whatsapp to be installed on the watch (with SIM-card) as long as the phone (without SIM-card) is active and connected to Wifi.

Advertisement