Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AnPost claims the driver rang my bell. CCTV shows he just drives through the street.

• 07-12-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

After 5 attempts of AnPost failing to deliver multiple parcels, me making multiple phone calls to them, each time claiming the delivery guy rang the bell but I did not answer, I decided to setup a webcam to film the entrance gate of my apartment complex from 9am till 6pm each day.

When comparing the timestamp on the video with the time given in the online tracking where it says that they attempted the delivery, the AnPost delivery van can be seen driving straight through the streets without stopping, and minutes later he updates the online tracking to “ATTEMPTED DELIVERY - NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS”.

There is only one entrance into the court of the apartment complex, which you really can’t miss.

Here is an example of just one day:

At 11:19 am the van drives straight through. He’s suppose to pull over next to the dublin bikes. That’s where the entrance gate is.

At 11:24 am the online tracking is updated saying “ATTEMPTED DELIVERY - NO ANSWER
    AT ADDRESS”

I even decided to live stream it on Twitch for 2 days.

Short clip: twitch. tv/hobbitstomper/clip/CoyResilientHornetRedCoat
    Here is a full days feed: twitch .tv/videos/344893765
    Edit: It seems I can't post links because I am a new user. Had to cut the links, just remove the spaces before the dot:

This same **** happened across 8 different days with multiple parcels and tracking numbers, where I reschedule for delivery! Each and every day the exact same thing. Van drives straight through the street, minutes later the online tracking is updated saying “No answer at address”.

After having video proof, I called AnPost again, explaining it all over again, but this time I mentioned I have video proof, the guy suddenly tells me to wait on the phone. After 10 minutes on hold, he said that he talked to the driver and the driver said “he was unsure about the address”, but will deliver tomorrow for sure.

To my surprise, next day I received a phone call. It’s the delivery guy with a really annoyed voice saying “I have your delivery, I’m outside, are you here? Can you hurry”. I tell him yes I’m home, I’ll be down in a minute. He replies with an even more pissed off voice “But hurry, I can’t wait long. I am very busy. If you can’t be fast, you’re better off collecting it from the depot”. I just replied politely saying I’m down in 30 seconds. I actually ran downstairs.

He sits in his van, doesn’t bother getting out, just waves me over, tells me to open the door of the van, he points to the 2 parcels which are mine, I pick them up and then he drives off.

Now the best part. The next day I had 2 new parcels scheduled for delivery by AnPost, guess what, same **** happened again.
    I was here all day, online tracking was updated after 12pm to “ATTEMPTED DELIVERY - NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS”.
    I checked the recordings, and it shows that the delivery guy just drove through the streets without stopping, AGAIN!

So what now? Each time I need to record the delivery guy, make a phone call and pressure them into actualling making a delivery attempt?
    How come DHL, DPD, UPS, i-Parcel always deliver without a hassle, but AnPost can’t even bother getting out of the car to ring the doorbell?

The parcel depot of AnPost is over 4km away from where I live and I have no car. Some parcels are also too big to take on a Dublin Bike. This means I would need to walk 45min one way, then take a taxi for 15 euro back. Sorry, not an option! I'm not paying 15 euro extra each time, just to collect parcels that the delivery guy doesn’t even bother to deliver.

The videos I have clearly show the AnPost delivery van just drives through the streets without stopping, not once or twice, but every single time for weeks! What’s the point of rescheduling over and over if he never ever bothers to call or ring the doorbell?

I had to wait 9 days days, schedule 5 times for a redelivery, setup CCTV, make 5 phone calls to AnPost, just so the driver actually attempts to make a delivery.

And now I have to deal with this entire ordeal AGAIN?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Make a formal complaint to An Post via registered letter.

Also, have you considered the data privacy implications of what you’re doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Send your footage to Joe Duffy.

Next week you'll have an impeccable service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Did you get the drivers permission to film him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Did you get the drivers permission to film him?

To be fair, he's recording the public street? We've had issues with postmen, never not delivering, but they have made sugar of some packages by ramming them through letter box when they are too small, never had much joy with An Post dealing with them though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I find this part hard to believe..

To my surprise, next day I received a phone call. It’s the delivery guy with a really annoyed voice saying “I have your delivery, I’m outside, are you here? Can you hurry”. I tell him yes I’m home, I’ll be down in a minute. He replies with an even more pissed off voice “But hurry, I can’t wait long. I am very busy. If you can’t be fast, you’re better off collecting it from the depot”. I just replied politely saying I’m down in 30 seconds. I actually ran downstairs.

He sits in his van, doesn’t bother getting out, just waves me over, tells me to open the door of the van, he points to the 2 parcels which are mine, I pick them up and then he drives off.

The rest does not make any sense either , constantly not delivering leads to more than just a few questions for the postie,can't see how he could get away with it.

Can't explain your footage as wasn't in the van,maybe he parks out of viewing,it's more bother bringing stuff back than it is to deliver it,makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

I thought the exact same thing as the other posters. Put up a sign saying CCTV in operation. Cover yourself in this PC world gone mad society we live in.
    I live 20 minutes away from my an post depot which means a 40 minute round trip!
    My local post people are lovely but there are always bad eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 A.OBrien

dudara wrote: »
    Also, have you considered the data privacy implications of what you’re doing?

What privacy implications? Having a live stream outside my window filming a street? You do realize that is allowed.
    Ireland has very loose laws when it comes to that. Feel free to Google it.

Technically you can film anyone in a public space with your phone up close and have their faces fully visible and upload it to social media without their consent. But that's beside the point here. My point is that I am able to prove to AnPost that the delivery guy doesn't even bother stopping the van. He drives straight through and then claims he rang the doorbell.

The thing is, I already made a complaint 2 weeks ago, and that along with me telling them I have CCTV footage, was probably the reason he was so pissed off and actually showed up for once. But now this entire ordeal starts over again.

The rest does not make any sense either , constantly not delivering leads to more than just a few questions for the postie,can't see how he could get away with it.

Can't explain your footage as wasn't in the van,maybe he parks out of viewing,it's more bother bringing stuff back than it is to deliver it,makes no sense to me.

Wow, okay, I didn't expect that someone would take the drivers side. But let me show you. This is the entrance gate goo. gl/maps/ZtgsDkb2sCT2 (remove the space after the dot)

The camera points directly to that gate. You can clearly see in any of my footage, that the driver simply drives through the street. Look at Google maps, there is no parking behind nor around the corner. The only parking is literally right where the camera points.
    So even if he would have parked god knows where, decided to walk all the way to the gate (even though he is apparently so busy), you would still see a person walking to the gate, but there is no one!

Not to mention that my doorbell works fine, and no one actually rang the doorbell! I was here all the time. And this happened on 8 different days! Not once, not twice, but 8 times he claimed he was there and rang my bell, which is complete BS.

On the day where he actually called me, you can see the driver not even pulling over from the streets, and you can also see me going outside, needing to open the door and picking up the parcels and him driving off again.

Also if you think that AnPost would have investigated so many missed deliveries, and you think I am making this up. Well, my girlfriend and I, we have multiple tracking IDs, which are full of “ATTEMPTED DELIVERY - NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS” across 2 weeks in November and December. So if you think it's hard to believe, fine, you can do that. But reality is, the driver never gets out of the car, never rings the door bell, across 8 different attempts. All my recordings and the tracking IDs that show the 8 missed attempted deliveries, are actual proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

This always seems to happen in the run up to Christmas when they’re running at capacity.

We use an post for parcels all year round but come November/December there’s magically no answer from us when they try to deliver.
    We’ve given up putting energy into making this point to an post as the depot is relatively convenient but it must be infuriating for anyone not close to a depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Because he never had the parcel onboard in the first place is my guess

I've had this with An Post and An post only

They never attempt delivery to my apt block (which is secure and safe so no probs there)
    Card is always left saying I was out come collect at their depot which is a major inconvenience to me money and timewise.
    Or I get a text saying it's on avan then as the OP says attempted delivery no answer bull**** - come collect
    Even very small packets that 100% fit into apt postbox won't be delivered - card saying I have to go collect it.

I now do everything I can to avoid An Post as the courier if I can because they are not doing their jobs.

An Post are simply not doing the job they are paid to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

A.OBrien wrote: »
    What privacy implications? Having a live stream outside my window filming a street? You do realize that is allowed.
    Ireland has very loose laws when it comes to that. Feel free to Google it

But it's not allowed... I've googled it for you.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/242.htm

Domestic use of CCTV systems.
    The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.] It should be noted that recording of a public space, even partially, or when recording is directed outwards from the private setting, it may not be regarded as a ‘personal or household’ activity for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, and this may have immediate and particular interest to drone operators and data controllers.

Reference: ECJ Ruling on household exemption C-212/13 - Ryneš

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Definitely report. I once had the postman not bothering to ring the bell just opened my door and left parcel in the hall. Seriously two seconds to ring a bell , I was up stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Maybe he saw the bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It’s comreg you’ve to go to. They are a gummy shark though. They were taking An Post to court (for failures in next day delivery) around 7 years ago and Pat Rabbitte stepped in and prevented this happening.

Domestic use of CCTV systems.
    The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.] It should be noted that recording of a public space, even partially, or when recording is directed outwards from the private setting, it may not be regarded as a ‘personal or household’ activity for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, and this may have immediate and particular interest to drone operators and data controllers.

Reference: ECJ Ruling on household exemption C-212/13 - Ryneš

There's one big issue. Though I used the term "CCTV" in the title, I did mention it's a webcam. While technically speaking there is no big different, when it comes to law, this is something completely different. CCTVs require by a law a sign that says this CCTV is in operation.

Filming in public with your phone or mobile device, does not require such sign.
    Google it.
    Recording someone in a public space for social media:

Irish law, as things stand, doesn’t specifically address or prohibit taking pictures of people or recording people

Besides that, you do know that there are entire websites dedicated to people setting up webcams all across the world, including 100s across Ireland, where they live stream from their homes into streets and nature 24/7. The most famous being installed in Temple Bar.

But as I said, this is completely beside the point and off topic. The problem is the delivery guy who claims he delivers when in fact he never does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

it may not be regarded

Recording in a public space is generally allowed, with some exceptions.

Op, written complaint to an post laying out the reoccurance of the incident

You can't just 'not bring the parcels' ,it doesn't work that way, especially in large urban areas where more managers are . Scanned out by postie, scanned back in if non delivery,with reason stated.

Also you can't just keep getting redelivery indiscriminately,does not work that way.

They are rogue posties for sure,but they answer to a manager, complaints are on the managers head if not acted on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It’s comreg you’ve to go to. They are a gummy shark though. They were taking An Post to court (for failures in next day delivery) around 7 years ago and Pat Rabbitte stepped in and prevented this happening.

That was for not being able to keep to next day delivery during the big snow wasn't it

It was for going under 97% next day delivery if posted within the state

They are rogue posties for sure,but they answer to a manager, complaints are on the managers head if not acted on.

That's exactly what I think happened when he actually delivered on the 8th deliver attempt. He was rude on the phone, then didn't even bother getting out of the van, probably because his manager told him that I made a formal complaint and they saw the 7 previous missed delivery attempts.

I am not surprised if he did it on purpose today, when the 3rd parcel arrived and he saw my name and address. He probably knew if he doesn't delivery it today, I will have to wait until Monday for 2nd delivery attempt. Good thing I have it recorded that he didn't even show up, but just drove through the streets like always.

I would really understand a missed delivery once or even twice, but not 8 times (technically 9 times with the 3rd parcel today).

What's the point of me filling out online forms to schedule re-deliveries, and making phone calls to schedule re-deliveries and they "assure me that it's AnPosts policy to ring the doorbell", when in reality the driver doesn't even bother to stop or to ring the doorbell, but drives straight through the street, and then claims I wasn't home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

A.OBrien wrote: »
    There's one big issue. Though I used the term "CCTV" in the title, I did mention it's a webcam. While technically speaking there is no big different, when it comes to law, this is something completely different. CCTVs require by a law a sign that says this CCTV is in operation.

There isn't though, you're still processing personal data, ergo what you are doing is illegal.

There isn't though, you're still processing personal data, ergo what you are doing is illegal.

Recording in a public place is not in and of itself a GDPR violation. Even if it was what has that got to do with the ops issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The lack of common sense behind data protection is frighting in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I give my post man a bottle of whiskey and 50 quid every Christmas. He always gives me a bell on the mobile if there's a package for me. If I'm not there to pick it up hell normally hide it in the Bush for me. Try something like that instead of secretly recording him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There’s no law prohibiting filming a public street. There’s are thousands of CC TV cameras doing that across the country.

As for the op’s complaints, I’ve seen postmen do that. Not in Ireland, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I give my post man a bottle of whiskey and 50 quid every Christmas. He always gives me a bell on the mobile if there's a package for me. If I'm not there to pick it up hell normally hide it in the Bush for me. Try something like that instead of secretly recording him?

Bribe people to do their job properly? Do you work for a public sector trade union?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I believe you OP.

It's happened me quite often in work where I am literally sitting at my desk less than 7 feet from the front door (I can see the letterbox) and a "tried to deliver card" is popped through - no doorbell rang never mind trying the unlocked door.
    If I don't make it outside before the van has sped off we have the major hassle of getting to the sorting office and trying to explain (again) that the person the package is addressed to no longer works with us so no we don't have photo ID for the addressee. We get a lot of important leaflets etc from the likes of the HSE and they are invariably addressed to someone who has long since moved on.

Happens me at home too, tried to deliver card popped in the letterbox and I'm there! I think at home it's because they might have to carry a parcel about 100 mtrs to my door. No idea what the issue is at work. Lights are on - we're there!

But having said that I have also had An Post workers who have gone above and beyond by offering and bringing heavy packages into my kitchen whereas every courier has left me struggle with an obviously injured wrist to drag 50/60kg of frozen raw dog food inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

boombang wrote: »
    Bribe people to do their job properly? Do you work for a public sector trade union?

No pal.

I own a building supply store.

I'm offering a solution that works for me. Will probably work for OP. What are you offering?

No pal.

I own a building supply store.

I'm offering a solution that works for me. Will probably work for OP. What are you offering?

Tell the postman's boss he isn't doing his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

Consider yourself lucky in a sense as you do have grounds for a complaint. I had an ignoramous postman a while back who would bang on the door/ no doubt press the bell if it was connected at wait for it ..... 6:30am, while every curtain was closed, the house in darkness and everyone was asleep. I complained but because I didn’t want to explain where I lived, as I didn’t want him to get in trouble, just stop being a twat. I now have a fantastic replacement who I hope never moves on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement