Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Souping up a 2 year old Dell Inspiron

Options
  • 07-12-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

I got an EVGA black friday bundle, 550W G3 PSU and a GTX 1060 3GB. Just back from some work travel and was all delivered while I was away, my Son and I souped up the Dell Inspiron that the kids use for gaming, and now it is faster than my aging gaming rig with a RX 290X and an i7 2600k.

200 yoyos for the bundle and now it rips up Fortnite with everything turned up to the max, good value deal and only took all of 10 mins to swap out the 300W 80+ dell PSU and the GTX 1030 or whatever it was, feeble looking 1 slot card, no branding or naming.

The 550W G3 PSU is a nice bit of kit, fully modular, and the GTX 1060 is a very short 2 slot card, had to be short to fit in the Dell. This will do the job for them for another while, can't argue with it.

Next mission is to rebuild the gaming rig, when I get the bonus after xmas, I reckon. Likely be a Ryzen 2 build with a 2nd hand 1080ti or perhaps something else if anything interesting gets released between now and then!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You'll probably need to go a tier higher than RX 580 / GTX 1060 to see performance improvements over your 290X.

Also Ryzen 3000 should be unveiled at CES in January, so let's wait & see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You'll probably need to go a tier higher than RX 580 / GTX 1060 to see performance improvements over your 290X.

Also Ryzen 3000 should be unveiled at CES in January, so let's wait & see.

Agreed!

I also have a 2nd old gaming rig out in the shed, i7 920 and a GTX 580, I think, I'll have to go out and check on it, it was working, but its been sat out there for 2+ years without being cranked up. I have some decent WC gear from days of yore, couple of 360mm Rads, a Reservoir or two, a pair of liang pumps, all 1/2" tubing and fittings, old skool. Might see what sort of state that is in, and potentially watercool the new gaming rig, hopefully most of it is in good nick and I only need a CPU and GPU block.

I have 2 nice Mountain Mods UFO Cases as well from back then, which are a pleasure to build in, they seem to still be in production so can buy bits for them if needed, though I can probably cannibalise 2 of them into one perfect case.

Advertisement