Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a mother who knows nothing about video games

Options
  • 07-12-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

So my son is getting an xbox for xmas. He has access to one at his dads house but will be getting one for my house too. His dad has xbox live and game pass. Im wondering will this work in my house too? If he signs in with his account at mine will he have access to all his games and data?
    Any advice is appreciated as I know nothing and his dad isnt sure either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If he is playing already at his dads, it means that he created an account for him already. So if he has digital games, those will be tied to that account. Your son will be able to log in with that account to his new xbox.
    Now I presume he plays Fortnite? If he does, he should have account for Epic games. He will be able to log that in on new xbox and continue.

Hope that helps.

Edit: just to clear up. Is your son using fathers account or has its own. If he is using fathers account, it would be good idea to start from the scratch and make him his own. It will be less hassle in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So the dad has an Xbox rather than the Kid?

Is live on the dads account, does your son play on his own account?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

He doesn't play fortnight but I know he can chat with his close friends online. He has an account under his dads I think. So I guess if he purchases any games here it would charge to his dads card?

So its possible for him to be logged in on two xboxs and get access to whatever subscriptions his dad has? Because then maybe I could just pay for half of the subscription and he'd have access to all the same stuff at both houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If he's using his dads account/gamertag to play, then you'll need a new account altogether for the new Xbox.

If he's got his own account with his own gamertag (online nickname) on his dad's Xbox, he can just log into that on the new Xbox and it will work fine.

Either way you'll probably need to buy Xbox Live as whether he's using his dads account, or using his own account on his dad's Xbox, it's most likely using his dad's Xbox Live subscription.

And to answer about the games: He may not have access to the games as it's also likely/possible that some or all of the games are tied to his dad's account/xbox.

There's not really any way to give you a proper answer based on the info you've given, better off talking to your son or his dad.

• Advertisement

So its possible for him to be logged in on two xboxs and get access to whatever subscriptions his dad has? Because then maybe I could just pay for half of the subscription and he'd have access to all the same stuff at both houses?
    There's two ways to share games:

1. Every account has a home xbox. So his Dads xbox will be set as his Dads home xbox. Anybody who logs onto that xbox can play his Dads games and also use his xbox live subscription.

2. You can play and share your games and live sub on any xbox by logging onto that xbox. Once you are logged on, anybody else can play your games. But only while you are logged in as it is not your home xbox.

You can only.have one home xbox.

What this means is for your son to share his Dads games and live sub his dad will need to set your sons xbox as his home xbox. This will not stop his dad from using his own xbox as normal, so hopefully he should be ok with that.

Hope that makes sense.

There's two ways to share games:

1. Every account has a home xbox. So his Dads xbox will be set as his Dads home xbox. Anybody who logs onto that xbox can play his Dads games and also use his xbox live subscription.

2. You can play and share your games and live sub on any xbox by logging onto that xbox. Once you are logged on, anybody else can play your games. But only while you are logged in as it is not your home xbox.

You can only.have one home xbox.

What this means is for your son to share his Dads games and live sub his dad will need to set your sons xbox as his home xbox. This will not stop his dad from using his own xbox as normal, so hopefully he should be ok with that.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you so much that makes perfect sense, his dad plays but he wasn't sure about access to games on different xboxs. Im sure we'll get it figured out. Is there anything particular he should do when setting up the new one?

Thank you so much that makes perfect sense, his dad plays but he wasn't sure about access to games on different xboxs. Im sure we'll get it figured out. Is there anything particular he should do when setting up the new one?
    His dad just needs to login to the new xbox and set it as his home xbox. After that you're good to go. Your son can login using his own account and play his Dads games and use his live sub and also his game pass sub if he has one (well worth getting btw!)

Advertisement