Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLAR

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Such bitterness. The only reason someone could see good in the reform is if they want promotion!! We really need to look at ourselves and our bitterness towards people who see the good in this. No wonder no one ye know is willing to speak in favour of it. Imagine the backlash and derision they would receive from ye.

What bitterness?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

amacca wrote: »
    What bitterness?.....

Bitterness and bile towards people who are actually embracing the reform

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Time to stop the bickering. This thread is for advice and chat about SLARs ONLY and nothing else to do with junior cycle. Warning/cards etc will be given to any poster who decides to engage in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Not completely slar related just responding to poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Hi all. Just from a management perspective here there have been no hours allocated to schools to cover the SLAR meeting. It is to come out of s and s. The whole situation is a shambles as the initial agreement had them completely outside school time. All of a sudden a concession was made to the ASTI last year and they said for last year they were to start inside. At every management conference we go to we are told this was only temporary and that the 40 minutes professional time was to be bundled and used after school. The TUI do not seem to be saying much about it. Just something else people night not be aware of schools have not been compensated fully in their allocation for the 40 minute professional time. We are expected to work magic with limited resources. I do my utmost to support my staff and I know how hard they work.

• Advertisement

fall wrote: »
    Hi all. Just from a management perspective here there have been no hours allocated to schools to cover the SLAR meeting. It is to come out of s and s. The whole situation is a shambles as the initial agreement had them completely outside school time. All of a sudden a concession was made to the ASTI last year and they said for last year they were to start inside. At every management conference we go to we are told this was only temporary and that the 40 minutes professional time was to be bundled and used after school. The TUI do not seem to be saying much about it. Just something else people night not be aware of schools have not been compensated fully in their allocation for the 40 minute professional time. We are expected to work magic with limited resources. I do my utmost to support my staff and I know how hard they work.

Thanks for that clarity. So in my department there are 3 of us who are engaged with SLAR twice this year. So 40 mins taken from s+s by 3 equals 2hours s+s gone multiplied by 2 equals 4 hours s+s taken so that we can do our slar. That's the equivalent of one teacher going out to cover one match.
    So we've received a reduction of 40 minutes per week, that's one full week of class contact time a year and we're not willing to stay behind for 2 hours of professional development? It's the students losing out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for that clarity. So in my department there are 3 of us who are engaged with SLAR twice this year. So 40 mins taken from s+s by 3 equals 2hours s+s gone multiplied by 2 equals 4 hours s+s taken so that we can do our slar. That's the equivalent of one teacher going out to cover one match.
    So we've received a reduction of 40 minutes per week, that's one full week of class contact time a year and we're not willing to stay behind for 2 hours of professional development? It's the students losing out again.

Would you agree with the OP's Principal who says they must do it after school, when they can do it within school hours without loss of teaching time?

Would you agree with the OP's Principal who says they must do it after school, when they can do it within school hours without loss of teaching time?

No wouldn't agree with that at all. Flexibility is key to.good working relations. If teachers have the ability to do it withing the normal school day then they should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

fall wrote: »

A small point to note, concessions weren’t made to the ASTI, they just followed the 2015 circular. The TUI and JMB didn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A small point to note, concessions weren’t made to the ASTI, they just followed the 2015 circular. The TUI and JMB didn’t.

If memory serves me it was the remainder of the short day ( usually Wednesdays or Fridays when students go home for half day) that TUI viewed as inside school time. I reckon that was the camels nose point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

TUI outdid themselves as usual and showed an exemplar timetable of SLARs being done on Wednesday half days, however, not all TUI school have a half day. They had no answer to the question when asked where it should be timetabled and seem to begrudge the question been even asked. More head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Personally I'm happy with the half in, half out arrangement. All in would make for a very intensive day plus the loss of tuition, while all out would be a nightmare for parents of young children,people who do extra curricular or indeed anybody with a life to live outside school. We must bear in mind that in the future teachers will have up to four of these every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

If memory serves me it was the remainder of the short day ( usually Wednesdays or Fridays when students go home for half day) that TUI viewed as inside school time. I reckon that was the camels nose point.

Yeah, that was it. I’m not sure do they expect teachers to be in the staffroom twiddling their thumbs every week at 2-4.

Advertisement