Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good quality AND quiet (as can be) water pump for house

• 07-12-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭

So my Grundfos MQ of 9 years might have died. Sounds like a stuck impeller so a chance it might be able to be fixed but in any case it's getting on in years and it's a bit noisier than I'd like so was wondering if technology has improved since then and are there now good quality pumps available that won't wake up half the house? AFAIK, mine is a 4 bar version.

Grundfos or Stuart Turner would be first choice however I hear that Salamander are improving too.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Walrus pumps are very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks for that. Never actually heard of that brand. Do you know how they are, in terms of noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shane b

I have a mq3 4.5 bar pump as well and the float switch was acting up on it was year. I looked at a few options but found matching the 4.5 bar output difficult. The walrus didn't quite match it. DAB pumps was a brand I was looking at. But I couldn't afford the 4-500 euro to go new.
    In the end I bought a second hand mq3 and got mine repaired.
    There is a guy in north Dublin who repairs them. He's on adverts if that's an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Grudfos and lowara do variable speed pumps. Smooth starting an fairly quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

shane b wrote: »
    I have a mq3 4.5 bar pump as well and the float switch was acting up on it was year. I looked at a few options but found matching the 4.5 bar output difficult. The walrus didn't quite match it. DAB pumps was a brand I was looking at. But I couldn't afford the 4-500 euro to go new.
    In the end I bought a second hand mq3 and got mine repaired.
    There is a guy in north Dublin who repairs them. He's on adverts if that's an option.
    Do you know how to find him on adverts? I stuck in "pump repair" in the search box but got no results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

highdef wrote: »
    Do you know how to find him on adverts? I stuck in "pump repair" in the search box but got no results.

Guessing this could be it.
    http://www.adverts.ie/7932608

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭whizbang

New installs are going to integrated submersible pump in tank. Much quieter.

http://www.multiboost.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

whizbang wrote: »
    New installs are going to integrated submersible pump in tank. Much quieter.

http://www.multiboost.ie/

Is that not a nightmare to fix when it fails ?

Rennaws wrote: »

It's new installs ..... the architect, builder and installer dont give a fook. :D

Rennaws wrote: »

But in fairness, they are not any more troublesome than standard pumps, and they are a lot quieter.
    The only thing that really has to be replaced on them is the auto pump control switch that is relatively cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement