Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silicone & greasy hair

Options
  • 07-12-2018 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

For months now every time I wash my hair it's greasy after I've tried everything & blamed everything from my hair supplements to maybe the silk pillowcase wasn't the best idea the water in my house even though it's affect no-one else. Then today while googling around I read about maybe it's a silicone build up now I use a sulfate/paraban free shamp/condi do these contain silicone as i remember in last 6 months my hair been like this except for when I was on holidays & using just generic hair products and my hair was back to normal nice and fluffy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I had this problem a few years ago and had to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of it.it worked using a Pantene one. Went back to my old shampoos after a few washes. A Friend at work suggested fairy liquid which makes sense for grease but not sure it would be too kind on colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I had this problem a few years ago and had to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of it.it worked using a Pantene one. Went back to my old shampoos after a few washes. A Friend at work suggested fairy liquid which makes sense for grease but not sure it would be too kind on colour...

Where ur old shampoo sulfate free ones as in should I just stop paying so much and stick to cheap stuff like years ago

Where ur old shampoo sulfate free ones as in should I just stop paying so much and stick to cheap stuff like years ago

No my shampoos were probably loreal and cheap ish ones then.

I'll try a clarifying tomorrow fingers crossed cos it's driving me crazy

I'll try a clarifying tomorrow fingers crossed cos it's driving me crazy

Do. I'm sure it'll do the trick. Good luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The sulfate free ones don't form as much of a lather so maybe they just aren't washing your hair properly. Get something from the supermarket and use it for a week and it should strip everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I've started using the Pantene Miscellar Shampoo, I find it much lighter and less gloopy than their normal shampoo. Hope this helps.

The sulfate free ones don't form as much of a lather so maybe they just aren't washing your hair properly. Get something from the supermarket and use it for a week and it should strip everything out.

The first few months of using them my hair felt amazing then all of a sudden greasy no matter what I tried so didn't occur to me it could be the shampoos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The first few months of using them my hair felt amazing then all of a sudden greasy no matter what I tried so didn't occur to me it could be the shampoos

Well hopefully switching shampoo for a week will do and then you can go back to using them and having amazing hair!

I got a Brazilian blow dry recently and my hair was incredible on day 1 and then minging with grease on day 2 so I feel your pain.

Well hopefully switching shampoo for a week will do and then you can go back to using them and having amazing hair!

I got a Brazilian blow dry recently and my hair was incredible on day 1 and then minging with grease on day 2 so I feel your pain.

It's so annoying cos I never had greasy hair before if it is the shampoo it's even more annoying cos you think youre doing right thing buying these products which cost a small fortune when could just bought the cheap stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's unlikely that sulphate free shampoo contains silicone but the detergent in the sulphate free shampoo may not be strong enough to remove silicone build up from other products. You are not supposed to use silicone products if using sulphate free shampoo - avoiding silicone is very difficult though as it's a key ingredient in most conditioners and styling products, particularly those aimed at curly or wavy hair. Look out for any ingredient ending in "-cone". Dimethicone is a very common one.

Advertisement