Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable time.

Options
  • 08-12-2018 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

What would the good members of boards concider to be a reasonable time to have to wait for a repair to a phone that is 5 weeks old and is suffering from a known issue with the particular phone.

What options are available if the time is unreasonable, say 4 weeks without the device?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

5 weeks old should be replaced not repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me, 5-10 working days is sufficient time for a repair. Though as mentioned above, a replacement would be a better option with a nearly new item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Thanks, that what I was thinking, one week, meh, two weeks a little too long. Anything else should be a straight replacement. It's not a cheap phone, >€1000

In the event the retailer sticks to their gns and say its 4 weeks or nothing which is totally unacceptable to me, would I have any options. I don't want to appear to be threatening court or whatever but what options would be best for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In the event the retailer sticks to their gns and say its 4 weeks or nothing which is totally unacceptable to me, would I have any options. I don't want to appear to be threatening court or whatever but what options would be best for me?

Sale of Goods and Services act is the Bible in these things. Small Claims Court is easy online and will cost you €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

splinter65 wrote: »
    Sale of Goods and Services act is the Bible in these things. Small Claims Court is easy online and will cost you €25.

and will take more than 10 working days.

if the aim is to have a working phone in the shortest time, then working with the retailer will produce the quickest turnaround.

splinter65 wrote: »

and will take more than 10 working days.

if the aim is to have a working phone in the shortest time, then working with the retailer will produce the quickest turnaround.

In this case we are talking 20 working days which to me is just way too much. It looks like I'll have to spend my own money on a replacement and try to get a refund through the small claims system.

Hardly Normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Okay - ill bite.

the retailer has to offer you one of the 3 r's as a remedy for your faulty phone. Repair Replacement Refund, if the fault is not due to misuse. And they are entitled to check that. (and they cant while you are in possession of the phone!) You do not have the right to demand which remedy is offered.

They have offered a repair. You have unilaterally decided this doesn't work for you due to the time it takes. your case in SCC is not a slam dunk because you have refused a reasonable offer.

what you could have done is written to the retailer and asked them to replace the phone rather than repair due to
    1. the phone being only 5 weeks old
    2. the length of time you would be without it.

If refused, you can then ask them to offer a replacement phone for the time without your phone, as a reasonable alternative. if they then refused, your SCC case is strong because it was them that were unreasonable, and you have the evidence of seeking redress from retailer.

hope that makes sense. Im not saying you shouldn't get a refund, im saying be smart about it.

I've done everything you suggested. Emailed offering to accept a refund, replacement or the use of a loaner phone for the duration of the repair. I was able to demonstrate the fault in store to their teck guy who accepted the fault is a known manufacturing flaw in this specific model.

No budge from retailer. 4 weeks, which would include Christmas and new year, or PFO.

I think I have been reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HN are known for being totally bloody useless in terms of customer service.

Liveline em (I know I say that a lot but the bad PR before xmas is a good motivator)

• Advertisement

If I was to go direct to the manufacturer to request a resolution would that affect my rights with the retailer should another issue arise down the line?

Advertisement