Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Germany or Austria (Munich or Vienna)

Options
  • 08-12-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I'll be graduating from university this summer and am toying with the idea of moving to either Germany or Austria to work there for June, July & August.
    Looking at either Munich or Vienna.

Would anyone be able to advise as to which country would be easier to move to for the short period?
    Just curious about things such as ease of opening a bank account, registering for tax, cost of living, short term rental accommodation, finding employment etc.

I would be going there with the hope of improving my German. I got an A in the leaving, but as it stands, I wouldn't currently be a competent enough speaker to speak it in a professional working environment, so would be looking for a job in an Irish bar or something similar.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

grad2019 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll be graduating from university this summer and am toying with the idea of moving to either Germany or Austria to work there for June, July & August.
    Looking at either Munich or Vienna.

Would anyone be able to advise as to which country would be easier to move to for the short period?
    Just curious about things such as ease of opening a bank account, registering for tax, cost of living, short term rental accommodation, finding employment etc.

I would be going there with the hope of improving my German. I got an A in the leaving, but as it stands, I wouldn't currently be a competent enough speaker to speak it in a professional working environment, so would be looking for a job in an Irish bar or something similar.

Cheers!

Vienna would be cheaper than Munich for sure, Munich is crazy expensive for accommodation.

What about further North ?

Freiburg is nice, Dusseldorf, Cologne have great flight connections and cost of the living is a lot lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Your Irish bank account will be fine to use in either of those countries for such a short period. Might be a bit of hassle using the debit card but I wouldn't even expect too much trouble. You'd definitely be able to get paid into it and would be able to withdraw cash at ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

redcup342 wrote: »
    Vienna would be cheaper than Munich for sure, Munich is crazy expensive for accommodation.

What about further North ?

Freiburg is nice, Dusseldorf, Cologne have great flight connections and cost of the living is a lot lower.

1+
    Both cities are very expensive compared to many other places in Germany. Can't comment on Vienna but finding affordable accommodation in Munich will be a challenge to say the least! Have a great time wherever you go :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm currently living in Vienna.

Your Irish bank account should be fine for a few months. I set up an Austrian account purely for wages but still use my Irish account for day-to-day banking.

The working language in quite a few places, especially in tech companies, is English, so don't worry about not speaking German. Depends what you're qualified in, though.

Accommodation is handy enough to come by. It's not too expensive, and you should be able to find a share in a nice house in the city centre (https://www.willhaben.at/iad/immobilien/ is a good place to start)

You will need to register that you're living in Vienna at one of the city offices but its handy enough to complete: https://www.wien.gv.at/english/living-working/registration/ You'll need this if you want to use some services here.

Advertisement