Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir deceive their customers again - Charged an extra 100EUR bill before Xmas

Options
  • 08-12-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

Eir, if you wish to improve your public image, you need to stop this BS.

My normal Eir Broadband bill is 35EUR per month. Yesterday, 07/12/2018 I received a bill of 135EUR.

I thought this was an error so I used your not-so-helpful online chat where I was informed that I was charged an extra 100EUR because I exceeded my monthly allowance of 1TB in internet usage. 

I have a couple of problems with this.

Firstly, checking my historical usage on the line, I normally use about 200-500GB per month which is fairly standard. So I don't see how, in the month of November where I didn't really do anything differently, that my usage jumped to 1950GB. I couldn't even use that amount of data if I tried!

Secondly, Unlimited? I think a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland is necessary. If you advertise a bundle as UNLIMITED, but then say that there is a limit, that is a complete contradiction. Of course I understand Fair Usage Policy and bla bla, but seriously, it should be made clearer as opposed to hidden in the small print buried on page 4,000,000 of your agreement. It's not transparent  nor communicated well. The definition of Unlimited is "Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent."

Thirdly, communication. If the line was exceeding the "Unlimited" limit, why was I not notified immediately si I can prevent that problem rather than chasing the cure? I'm with Three IRL for my mobile and if I'm approaching the limit of SMS messages for the month, they reach out to me and say "Hey you're approaching your limit... be careful if you want to avoid charges." ... But Eir, nope. It's the deceiving mindset that I don't appreciate. "Na don't tell them. Let them exceed their allowance so we can shaft them with the charges 2 weeks before Christmas"

Finally, after spending 25min on the phone trying to get through to a REAL person, I was told that the office was closed. Seriously? It's a Saturday. Not Christmas Day. If you call ANY other company in the list of your competitors, they all have staff available via phone on a Saturday. Shocking.

I refuse to let this go and I insist that this was an error. I believe if there was a problem, I should've been notified immediately. 

I have been an Eir customer for years through multiple addresses and have always recommended Eir to friends and family. But the market is no longer a monopoly and you will now have  a detractor unless this is sorted. As I said, if you want your public image to improve, which in all honesty is a shambles, then you need to stop this deceitful BS.  

- Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

This company is a disease. I wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole and recently got my parents away from them. They are the definition of mediocrity in their products and the customer service is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

McSween wrote: »
    This company is a disease. I wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole and recently got my parents away from them. They are the definition of mediocrity in their products and the customer service is ****e.

I agree. I just want a resolution. It’s 2 weeks before Christmas and they’ll charged it to my bank on Christmas week. I’m just disgusted. The money is one thing but the deceitful manner in which they operate is just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

I agree. I just want a resolution. It’s 2 weeks before Christmas and they’ll charged it to my bank on Christmas week. I’m just disgusted. The money is one thing but the deceitful manner in which they operate is just shocking.

They are an absolute joke!! The only way to possibly get a resolution OP is through the complaints proceedure. I had a problem and the supervisor in the cork business customer services unit was unbelievably rude. They literally don't have a clue. Don't bother with the normal routes you won't get anywhere.

portcrap wrote: »

They are an absolute joke!! The only way to possibly get a resolution OP is through the complaints proceedure. I had a problem and the supervisor in the cork business customer services unit was unbelievably rude. They literally don't have a clue. Don't bother with the normal routes you won't get anywhere.
    Thanks. Yeah I will be researching complaint procedures, even with ComReg and ASAI. I've always paid my bills on time and in full, and this is how I am thanked. 

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

OP, was it a DD (SEPA)? If so, request a chargeback from your bank (if that is possible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

jim salter wrote: »
    OP, was it a DD (SEPA)? If so, request a chargeback from your bank (if that is possible).
    Exactly. You were told that the product was unlimited data, you did not get unlimited data. Do a chargeback and then let Eir contact you rather than  visa versa. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cancer3

Thanks. Yeah I will be researching complaint procedures, even with ComReg and ASAI. I've always paid my bills on time and in full, and this is how I am thanked. 
    You will be lucky if you get a complaint reference number from EIR. This number is necessary to open a complaint in ComReg. I am waiting for this reference number longer than a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Advertising standards are a joke. If you search for complaints made about eirs so called unlimited broadband the asai takes the customers side and tells eir not to advertise like that again. Eir just ignores it as there is no penalty to them. It is only recently the it is really is unlimited but only for new customers.

As for COMREG, I believe they take Eirs side on this issue because Eir claims less than 1% of customers go over the limit. 

Thanks everyone. Still waiting for Eir’s response on this. Haven’t been able to get through on the phone lines because I’m working. Hopefully they can start the Resolution process on here. I won’t give up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Max2016

Worst provider I have ever had the misfortune to deal with!! Sorry I ever signed up! Luckily my contract is up 19th Dec.

Interested to know if COMREG actually resolves these complaints?

• Advertisement

Anybody from Eir want to respond? Called your “helpline” this morning and listened to 43 minutes of the same hold music over and over. Just tried again and I’m waiting 28 min so far. I mean how can a company operate in this capacity? How is this acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

Hello,

Eir, if you wish to improve your public image, you need to stop this BS.

My normal Eir Broadband bill is 35EUR per month. Yesterday, 07/12/2018 I received a bill of 135EUR.

I thought this was an error so I used your not-so-helpful online chat where I was informed that I was charged an extra 100EUR because I exceeded my monthly allowance of 1TB in internet usage. 

I have a couple of problems with this.

Firstly, checking my historical usage on the line, I normally use about 200-500GB per month which is fairly standard. So I don't see how, in the month of November where I didn't really do anything differently, that my usage jumped to 1950GB. I couldn't even use that amount of data if I tried!

Secondly, Unlimited? I think a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland is necessary. If you advertise a bundle as UNLIMITED, but then say that there is a limit, that is a complete contradiction. Of course I understand Fair Usage Policy and bla bla, but seriously, it should be made clearer as opposed to hidden in the small print buried on page 4,000,000 of your agreement. It's not transparent  nor communicated well. The definition of Unlimited is "Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent."

Thirdly, communication. If the line was exceeding the "Unlimited" limit, why was I not notified immediately si I can prevent that problem rather than chasing the cure? I'm with Three IRL for my mobile and if I'm approaching the limit of SMS messages for the month, they reach out to me and say "Hey you're approaching your limit... be careful if you want to avoid charges." ... But Eir, nope. It's the deceiving mindset that I don't appreciate. "Na don't tell them. Let them exceed their allowance so we can shaft them with the charges 2 weeks before Christmas"

Finally, after spending 25min on the phone trying to get through to a REAL person, I was told that the office was closed. Seriously? It's a Saturday. Not Christmas Day. If you call ANY other company in the list of your competitors, they all have staff available via phone on a Saturday. Shocking.

I refuse to let this go and I insist that this was an error. I believe if there was a problem, I should've been notified immediately. 

I have been an Eir customer for years through multiple addresses and have always recommended Eir to friends and family. But the market is no longer a monopoly and you will now have  a detractor unless this is sorted. As I said, if you want your public image to improve, which in all honesty is a shambles, then you need to stop this deceitful BS.  

- Jack
    Hi mr_jackapple,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding to your message and I completely understand your frustration.

If you could PM me the following account details, I'd be happy to look into this for you. 

1) Account number
    2) Account name
    3) Are you the account holder?
    4) Your DOB

5) The first line of your address

~Kellie

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I had a horror experience when buying a phone & bill pay package online. They sent me the wrong phone. It took 6 weeks and many hours speaking with their dreadful customer care service to just get a " Jiffy" bag to return to phone I never bought in the first instance. Then they charged me the incorrect tariff. I could go on & on, but suffice to say s nightmare experience with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

better off not paying by DD - that way you have some control.

Hi mr_jackapple,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding to your message and I completely understand your frustration.

If you could PM me the following account details, I'd be happy to look into this for you. 

1) Account number
    2) Account name
    4) Your DOB

~Kellie

PM sent, thank you.

Hi mr_jackapple,

1) Account number
    2) Account name
    4) Your DOB

~Kellie

Still no reply from you today Kellie, can you please follow up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

Hi mr_jackapple,

1) Account number
    2) Account name
    4) Your DOB

~Kellie

Still no reply from you today Kellie, can you please follow up?
    Hi mr_jackapple,

I've replied to your PM there.

~Kellie

Any update on what happened here?
    Is the Eir download monitor unreliable? The Current usage and historical usage are always out of sync!
    Do Eir still charge people for going over the FUP

I'm a little worried as I normally use about 700GB but there will be more people than normal using the connection over Christmas.

tuxy wrote: »
    Any update on what happened here?
    Is the Eir download monitor unreliable? The Current usage and historical usage are always out of sync!
    Do Eir still charge people for going over the FUP

I'm a little worried as I normally use about 700GB but there will be more people than normal using the connection over Christmas.

Eir said I was on an older plan which had a 1TB cap. They’ve now changed my plan to be truly unlimited and kindly credited the 100EUR amount to me.

A surprisingly good result!
    Did you have to start a new 12 month contract? 

Is there now a new process that allows you to get the FUP removed and not add or remove parts of your package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Expect to be on a new 12 month contract and prob have some extra weird hidden fee pop up in the next month or so.

Advertisement