Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“New” laptop

Options
  • 08-12-2018 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I bought a Lenovo laptop 330s in Argos last week. Today the screen seems to flash uncontrollably for 5-8 seconds.

I was just browsing.
    Anyway I went through the laptop and found a hardware scan from Lenovo so I ran it.
    No issues , but I noticed the last health scan was on it as 13 may 2018.

I didn’t think that a brand new laptop would show a health hardware scan from near 7 months ago.

I would have thought it would have come from the factory fully set up after all tests had been completed.

I feel Argos are selling brand new laptops which are quite obviously not new if someone did an health scan on this “new” machine 7 months ago.

Appreciate advice.

I am not happy with this now I have discovered it ...

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

30 day return policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Nope. Just rang , there , Navan Branch. That policy is only for unopened and unused goods.

does anyone know if new laptops or computers after being "quality tested" at the factory , are they likely to do a hardware test and then seal and box them?? I would find it absolutely incredible if that were case , but perhaps someone here knows?

If so , i would be delighted to know , thanks

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'd say it's just a leftover from the original test image.

FanadMan wrote: »
    I'd say it's just a leftover from the original test image.

Ok cool so you reckon that the factory would let it out ... having run a hardware scan and not wipe it , prior to last quality control check and final wrapping for transmission to retailers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ok cool so you reckon that the factory would let it out ... having run a hardware scan and not wipe it , prior to last quality control check and final wrapping for transmission to retailers ?

When I worked tech support for Dell, one day someone in the factory forgot to add the image to the computers so thousands were shipped completely blank :D Mistakes do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Wasn't that "hardware check" at manufacturer - so device was sitting on shelf in Argos, waiting for you to buy it - no surprise - economy hit even them and turnaround is low.

From my experience, Argos sell low speck items so can keep prices down.

Wasn't that "hardware check" at manufacturer - so device was sitting on shelf in Argos, waiting for you to buy it - no surprise - economy hit even them and turnaround is low.

From my experience, Argos sell low speck items so can keep prices down.

I don’t know much about laptops prior to leaving the factory. I suspect that most factories would have all technical checks completed and checked prior to the device leaving the factory / new.

It’s a non issue as such it’s a reasonable well reviewed machine and does the job.

It showed a fault even though I only have it 3 weeks which in itself is disappointing / but when I ran what I presumed was the first hardware check , idea being to see if it found the reason for the uncontrolled rapid flashing on the screen , I was very surprised to see another hardware check performed on this new machine on 13 May earlier this year.

It has had a hardware check performed by someone on the 13 May , I do not believe it left the factory , new, with a hardware check still on its history ...

I’m trying to establish if this is a regular thing or unusual as I believe it is

Until yesterday I was very happy with this laptop ( Lenovo 330s) in fact I bought the exact same one in Curry’s the other day for my parents for Xmas.

When I give it to them on 25th I will be setting it up for them , the first thing I will be doing is running a hardware check to see if an old scan is recorded in it.

I do NOT expect to find on.

Any more views appreciated

FanadMan wrote: »
    When I worked tech support for Dell, one day someone in the factory forgot to add the image to the computers so thousands were shipped completely blank :D Mistakes do happen.

That’s fair enough .. I have my own view on this laptop I got from Argos .. but I’m trying to get more information first about new laptops and the finished product first but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Return it as a faulty item. Screen shouldn't be flashing as you described

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

NATLOR wrote: »

Expect to be treated like a common criminal for daring to bring back a faulty electronic item. But yes, bring it back ASAP and stand your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I have several lenovos, that's a used laptop. The Lenovo test is pretty useless although would not or could not have been run before you set the laptop up. Someone had this before you..

Return it anyway as it's faulty.

NATLOR wrote: »

I am going to. I have a slight concern as the girl i spoke to in Navan yesterday said that the chap that looks at the laptops is off till Monday.
    My impression is that if the fault can’t be found , it hasn’t happened since I did the hardware scan after the fault occurred , there may be an issue ..
    if this is a local guy and the fault cannot be seen , or shown that the refund may be denied.

I’m of the the view that if laptops come from the factory brand new with no scans ran , which I believe is the case , it’s not unreasonable to think this was a refurbished .. that’s why I’m anxious to know exactly what condition the new machines leave the factory.

I am quite annoyed to discover , fault or no fault , that I was sold a 7 month or more old laptop from Argos three weeks ago anyway on top of the fault.

Thanks all

tedpan wrote: »
    I have several lenovos, that's a used laptop. The Lenovo test is pretty useless although would not or could not have been run before you set the laptop up. Someone had this before you..

Return it anyway as it's faulty.

I really believe that is the case. I’m really annoyed. Will update here from Monday

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm not sure of the issue here, is it the fact that a scan record was still showing from many months ago? This could easily have been an in factory process. Did you get the usual 'setting your pc up' screen? If the screen had a fault, then return it. You can get one off odditys with initial setup, but only you can determine if this is s reason to return it.

delly wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the issue here, is it the fact that a scan record was still showing from many months ago? This could easily have been an in factory process. Did you get the usual 'setting your pc up' screen? If the screen had a fault, then return it. You can get one off odditys with initial setup, but only you can determine if this is s reason to return it.

That’s the kernel of the issue.
    Yes got the welcome to new laptop etc etc ...
    I saw the fault . It has not repeated.
    I know it’s faulty. When Will it show up again?
    I’m overthinking it now , I’m thinking of all the people buying electronic stuff from Argos that may not be a bit computer savvy. Maybe it’s a one off who knows ..

I have a brand new one sane model bought from Curry’s Navan .. as a present ... I cannot wait to open it! Though it for my folks , the first thing I will be doing is running a hardware scan .. I’ll eat my hat if there is a previous scan on it from earlier in the year ... I’m quite confident there will not be ..

Anyway we will see what Argos say ....

I’ll update ye all.

Thks
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I bought an Android tablet from Argos that kept disconnecting from the internet every few minutes. I tried resetting it and using it outside my house but it was still faulty. So brought it back and was served by a non-too-polite shop assistant who told me they would not take it back until they could prove it was faulty and that I'd have to wait an hour. Luckily I had time to spare so I left it with them and came back later. I'd put it back to factory settings and this seems to have thrown them - they hadn't tested it at all during this hour. Instead, they just gave me my money back. I've since heard from a family member that they were given a hard time when returning a hoover and had to go through much the same rigmarole. They ran the hoover in the shop and made her justify why she wanted to bring it back.

I bought an Android tablet from Argos that kept disconnecting from the internet every few minutes. I tried resetting it and using it outside my house but it was still faulty. So brought it back and was served by a non-too-polite shop assistant who told me they would not take it back until they could prove it was faulty and that I'd have to wait an hour. Luckily I had time to spare so I left it with them and came back later. I'd put it back to factory settings and this seems to have thrown them - they hadn't tested it at all during this hour. Instead, they just gave me my money back. I've since heard from a family member that they were given a hard time when returning a hoover and had to go through much the same rigmarole. They ran the hoover in the shop and made her justify why she wanted to bring it back.

Funny you say that , I bought an indoor camera and indeed from Argos also some years ago. There was something along the lines of what you outline.

I was told it was checked and it was fine .. no refund. I wasn’t happy as it was faulty.
    So I kept at it to find out the technical qualifications that the technician had.

The reason was is that I could not understand how a suitably qualified technician could examine the product and come to the conclusion there was no fault , when there actually was.

After a lot of ( wasted) time I eventually discovered that the manager had given the camera to one of the girls behind the counter who brought it home plugged it in and came to the conclusion it was fine.

I haven’t the energy for that kind of amateurish carry on , now from Argos , so close to Xmas....

Will update anyway

Wonder if "flashing screen" was caused by display driver update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

My thoughts exactly. If this happened once and not since then I works hardly think of that as a fault.

• Advertisement

I don’t know . Even if it was an update .. i would have thought it would occur in the usual fashion ie you would be prompted to see whether you wanted to update the specific driver ?
    I’ve had laptops / computers for decades and that’s a first if so.?
    Is that the way display drivers update ??

I don’t know . Even if it was an update .. i would have thought it would occur in the usual fashion ie you would be promoted to see whether you wanted to update the specific driver ?
    I’ve had laptops / computers for decades and that’s a first if so.?
    Is that the way display drivers update ??
    On Win10 - not a chance, you get what they give you. Go check update history.

On Win10 - not a chance, you get what they give you. Go check update history.

Will do thanks

Will do thanks

I checked updates and thks ,, nothing for sat 8 dec I’m now quite convinced this is a fault as it’s not on updates anything else along that line I could check ?
    Cheers
    Paddy

Will do thanks

I checked and screenshot updates as you suggest nothing at all for yesterday 8.12.2018 so that’s not the reason.

Thks

Satisfied machine is 7 months old or more and faulty

Cheers
    Paddy

Advertisement