Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit refund

Options
  • 08-12-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever applied for a refund of a direct debit payment? I have a supplier (provides a service) and I pay them monthly. The took the payment for October on 1 November and then closed on 5 November but didn't do the work and now I have to pay some one else to do it. I have looked at the forms online but am unsure if I can claim a refund of the direct debit. I am with aib if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Has anyone ever applied for a refund of a direct debit payment? I have a supplier (provides a service) and I pay them monthly. The took the payment for October on 1 November and then closed on 5 November but didn't do the work and now I have to pay some one else to do it. I have looked at the forms online but am unsure if I can claim a refund of the direct debit. I am with aib if that makes any difference.

You might have some chance if it was transacted within the same bank/branch, but even then remote.

The DD system wouldn't work if payments could be retracted. If it was a DD be glad that's all you lost.

I'd only trust national, long established companies with effective unfettered access to personal or business bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Simply call into your bank and sign a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You can claim back any dds without question under the sepa legislation that came in a few years ago.

As previous poster said just call into your branch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You might have some chance if it was transacted within the same bank/branch, but even then remote.

The DD system wouldn't work if payments could be retracted. If it was a DD be glad that's all you lost.

I'd only trust national, long established companies with effective unfettered access to personal or business bank accounts.
    That's completely wrong. Under SEPA, any direct debit can be reversed immediately for any (or no) reason within 8 weeks of the original transaction. After 8 weeks, it can be reversed up to 13 months later, but a valid reason must be provided.

OP, you can find the AIB form online if you do a google search for "aib dd refund"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

28064212 wrote: »
    That's completely wrong. Under SEPA, any direct debit can be reversed immediately for any (or no) reason within 8 weeks of the original transaction. After 8 weeks, it can be reversed up to 13 months later, but a valid reason must be provided.

OP, you can find the AIB form online if you do a google search for "aib dd refund"

Yes Bandara pointed that out.

Would you care to add how likely it is the OP will get money back from a business that has gone out of business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Would you care to add how likely it is the OP will get money back from a business that has gone out of business?
    If the bank account is still open, highly likely. And given that a bank won't close an account while there are outstanding balances or fees, it's likely it's still open

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Quite likely once the account is open.
    Irrespective of whether this particular company is out of business or not, any direct debit (within a certain timeframe as explained above) can be recalled. It doesn't need to be with the same bank or branch, and is not dependant on the how well established the originator is.
    Now the integrity of the company would be relevant when it comes to things like holding true on the direct debit detailsb(amount date eyc) and T&Cs theyve agreed with you, but that's a separate matter entirely from the bank process.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

thanks for all of the replies. I think i have enough answers for now.

Advertisement