Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo City Breaks: Your Experiences and Tips

Options
  • 08-12-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

This is something I have been thinking about for quite some time now and I wouldn't mind getting some tips from those of you who are experienced with this. I should say that I have been to various parts of the UK on my own so I'm not really new to it per se, but I have decided that I will go further afield and travel to mainland Europe next year and I have chosen Prague. There is a Lonely Planet Guide sitting on my bedside table which I'll be reading soon to become a little bit more knowledgeable.

So for those of you who are experienced with this, how long have you been doing it and what are your tips for going to somewhere like Prague in particular? To be honest, I see it like this: anybody with a reasonable amount of competence and motivation should be able to travel anywhere on their own (within reason of course). For me personally, I'm going to do a fair bit of homework this time as when I have been to places like London I have been very inefficient with my time due to the complexity of the transport system etc. I will also make sure I stay a bit longer - around 5 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Pug160 wrote: »
    So for those of you who are experienced with this, how long have you been doing it
    25 years! :)
    what are your tips for going to somewhere like Prague in particular?
    Just go! ;)
    I have been very inefficient with my time due to the complexity of the transport system etc. I will also make sure I stay a bit longer - around 5 days.
    You're on a voyage of discovery, efficiency (or inefficiency) doesn't come into it. There is no way you will really get to know the city in 3 or 5 or 15 days, so don't even try to "do it all".

Back to this:
    what are your tips for going to somewhere like Prague in particular?
    If your budget allows it, stay as close to the centre as possible; if not, stay as close to a main transport stop as possible. You can lose a lot of time just getting to your starting point if you have to walk to a bus stop, and wait for a bus to take you to the nearest tram/metro.

In the city (any city): walk as much as possible. The real city is to be found at street level, and in Prague, a lot of it is down side alleys that you'll never see if you spend all your time on public transport trying to get to your next Instagram opportunity.

And talk to people - shopkeepers, waiters, strangers sitting on benches ... You won't get lucky every time, but sooner or later you'll run into someone who gives you a whole new perspective on the city, something you'll never find in the guidebooks.

Advertisement