Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for mediacenter PC

Options
  • 09-12-2018 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I have a very basic 50" TV, and need a device to provide playback for it.
    I was thinking about some ready-made TV boxes, but I'm not convinced.

Main features I'll need:
    Netflix, PrimeVideo, HBO-GO, etc.
    Youtube
    Playback of music and videos from local NAS (synology).
    etc.

I have large number of DVDs with interesting movies, which I'm planning on converting to H.265 on my Synology, so will need H.265 playback capabilities and while system requirements for that with PAL resolution from DVDs aren't high, I want to be future proof and have a device which will be able to easily play H.265 in Full HD and possibly 4K.

Ideally I'd like to operate the machine through regular wireless keyboard/touchpad combo.

Linux distro on it will do perfectly.

1. I was thinking about Raspberry PI B+ 3 but I'm not sure about its H.265 playback capabilities.
    Are there any other similar options which would be more suitable with better CPU power or hardware support for H.265 ?

2. Other option I can thinking was one of those barebone PCs in kinda €100-€200 range, but not sure about their CPU power as well.

3. And final option is just building a simple PC which would do the job, but again here would need to go as cheap as it gets, and not sure would the cheapest CPU (like Celeron) be enough for my needs? I already have a chassis and PSU, so would just need mainboard, CPU, Ram, and small SSD.

Any ideas, tips or hints.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would look to ARM devices running Android as a possibility.
    Ones with 4K capability are out there and Netflix too, but I have no idea about PrimeVideo, HBO-GO, etc.

On some you can even install Linux if that would be a preference, although how much difference there would be in functionality between the twois unknown to me.

Playback from NAS and Youtube should not be a problem.

Advertisement