Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Premier League Game You Witnessed Live

• 09-12-2018 3:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what was the first premier league game everyone has seen. We were talking about it in the United thread tonight and there was some stories there of games that brought a few right back.

Plenty of trolls between a few threads, lets keep that out.

You as a club fan, what wad your first expierence of watching your premiere league team play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Someone brought me to a United match in Old Trafford on one of those ferry day trip excursions. A dour 0-0 against Spurs in a morgue-like atmosphere. A long day travelling for 90 mins of turgid stuff. I guess that's the risk you run though. The Spurs fans out sang the home fans despite there being a small pocket of them there. It was the game where Mendes "scored" from the half-way line but it wasn't given. The only real talking point of an otherwise boring game.

Also have been to Celtic park. Not really a mad fan of theirs or anything but the atmosphere was savage and that was for a midweek game vs Falkirk on a rainy Wednesday. Night and day between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Everton United at Goodison 95

Duncan Ferguson 1 - 0

Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP

Does it have to be Premier league or are pre 1992 Division 1 games also allowed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Man Utd beat Fulham 3-2. Got to see Van Nistelrooys first Premier league goals and a Beckham free kick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was also an Everton Utd game in Goodison in 95, but Utd won this one. Ultimately didn't start supporting either team

https://www.premierleague.com/match/1429

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Liverpool v Leeds in 97, 4-0
    Got to see Barnes, Fowler and Rush, although Rush was playing for Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hyppia last minute winner against wolves in 2004. 1 nil. ****e game but was hooked after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Slightly off topic....two weeks ago United v young boys brought my dad for his 60th. Manchester United fan for 25 years but never been. Loved the experience

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

At Old Trafford after 25 years of holding a ST they named the seat after me. I'm up to 35 now and another 15 I'm hoping they will rename the Alex Ferguson Stand :pac:

First Premiership match losing 3-0 At home to Everton in 92/3

First 1st Division match away to Leeds 0-0 around 1972/3

First match at Old Trafford 4-0 v Stoke 1979/80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It was Spurs vs Man U in 78 I think. 1 1 draw. Thing I remember most of all was Gordon McQueen leaping high above everyone to power home a header from a corner. It apeared more impressive still as I was standing on the front row of the stand opposite the Shelf and we were below the level of the pitch. My eye level would have been the same height as the players knees.

I went back a couple of weeks later to see another 1 1 draw. This time with QPR.

I didnt get to see Arsenal till 86 where I watched them from the North Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Old Trafford, United versus Spurs, I think it was 2007. Nani scored an absolute screamer from about 30 yards out. Some people still think it took a deflection off Tevez on the way. We were in the East Stand behind the Spurs fans, but still had a great view of the goal. I remember it being a fairly boring game otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Liverpool 2-0 West Ham in 1995. John Barnes scored twice.

I was about 10, went away with my football team. I was on the Kop and I wore umbro runners with a massive Man Utd crest on the back of them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Been to Anfield twice. They lost 1-0 on both occasions. I'm bad luck.

0-1 vs Charlton towards the end of Houlier's reign in 2004. Then the following season when Rooney scored for United and someone threw a phone at him. Morientes and Pelligrino made their debuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Leeds v Man United. United's first domestic game after beating Juve to qualify for CL final and keep the treble dream alive. Leeds were in contention for CL spot themselves so that and an intense rivalry made it a big one.

Ridiculous kick off time like 11.30 on a Sunday morning and all pubs shut until 7pm by police order. Good one to go to.

Haselbaink put Leeds ahead and Cole equalised leaving the final score at 1-1. United as we know went on to win the treble. Leeds finished fourth and missed Champions League.

One memory of it was a very young Harry Kewell having a great game on the wing directly in front of our seats in first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Liverpool 2-1 Spurs. May 96/97

Darren Anderton opened the scoring for Spurs early on with a glancing header.
    Stan Collymore equalized before Patrik Berger got the winner.

All goals came in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

First time in Old Trafford was 2000, United v Spurs, Beckham scored a cracker, his celebration was played on sky for years and then United lifted the premier league trophy. Had horrible seats so so high up, my nose started bleeding, had new runners and the plastic on the laces started melting it was that hot. Went with my father, one of the best moments in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not premier league but City v Derby back in the early 90’s.

City keeper got sent off and Niall Quinn ended up in goal and saved a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Premier League formed well after I first went to a live game, and Chelsea were in Division 2 back when I started going to the football. No idea what the first game in the "Murdoch beginning to kill football" era I saw.

First live game of football I saw was in 1981 at a freezing County Ground in Northampton. The mighty Cobblers lost 1 nil to Mansfield.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

QPR 2 Aston Villa 0. October 1994. Goals from greats such as Danny Dichio and Gary Penrice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Found it on the Premier League website. Not even a fan of either club. There as a neutral.

https://www.premierleague.com/match/551

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Hi OP

Does it have to be Premier league or are pre 1992 Division 1 games also allowed ?

Not at all, i like reading different peoples expierence of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

First live game of football I saw was in 1977. Southern Premier League Underhill. Barnet 2 Weymouth 0.

Don't remember much about the game but Jimmy Greaves played for the Bees that year. Despite being in his late 30s and suffering from alcoholism and playing in midfield he was comfortably their top scorer. I was only a nipper but as I remember he was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch that season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Man United v Newcastle United, the one where Rooney scored that volley. Called it his favourite goal. Was some birthday present that. Got a tour of the ground the day before and met all the team unintentionally who were meeting to go to their hotel for the night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

First Bohs game can't remember. Probably mid 90s, I think we were sponsored by Gateaux and the stand was still wooden.

First Ireland game was a friendly in the old Lansdowne Road V some Scandinavian team, can't remember which one. Would have been early mid 90s as well.

First Villa game was the 2010 League Cup Final.

First Premier League game and pilgrimage to Villa Park, McLeish was in charge either Blackburn or Newcastle. Went to both that season.

Generally get to one or two Villa games a season and as many Bohs games as possible. Honestly can't really say a definite first professional football game attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Man United v Newcastle United, the one where Rooney scored that volley. Called it his favourite goal. Was some birthday present that. Got a tour of the ground the day before and met all the team unintentionally who were meeting to go to their hotel for the night.

That happened to me with the team. was some of those package deals with ferry, hotel and matchday ticket.

Anyway bus gets off the ferry and heads to chesire oaks shoppong centre. Got their about 4, quickly got bored and ordered a cab to get us to Old Trafford for the tour.
    Our taxi driver used to drive Martial back and forth to training as Martial cant drive. Told him our story anyway about how wer're over for the Manchester derby and want to try and get the tour done as they close at like 6 i think.

Cab driver rang ahead, told whoever at OT on the phone our story but we had to be there before they close. Lad flew to OT, telling funny stories of Martial and the squad, waited outside the ground closest where he could get us to the entrance and gave his number incase a can was needed.

Got their 10minutes to late as they were letting the last of the people through. Told the our sob story and we were in. Didnt get to do the stadium tour but did the bit of all the jerseys and trophy rooms. Was in awe of it all.

After we left we had to walk around OT, we were lucky as hell as there was a group of people behind a barrier and we were asking whats going on.

Team meeting up at OT to get the bus at the hotel, all big Mercs and the like, no lie Martial arrived in the same cab we got.

Crowd of about 40 people including us cheering on the lads as they got on the bus.

Mata and Hererra the only two to come down to the crowd to take pictures, have a chat and sign autographs. Was brilliant round of to that day.

Match day, our tickets were right behind the Goal, 3 rows back, pretty much could smell the grass. Canellero got a good roasting from people as he warmes up.

We lost 2-1 but Zlatan scored a volley in the bix right in front of us and we all went banana's.
    Hit bishop blades and Old trafford bar after, mental ****ers, unreal craic.

Ferry across back the sea was some of the worst seen, we hit the top bar and drank.

First ever game at OT for me and the brother, dont think it'll ever be forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea 2-0 Bolton last game of the season in 1998, Vialli and Jody Morris scoring. It relegated Bolton and Chelsea did a lap of honor with the Coca Cola cup at full time. Won the Cup winners cup a few days later as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Man Utd 2-1 city 92 - Cantonas debut. Mad thinking how he helped change the clubs fortunes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton 2 Chelsea 1 2000. Two Kevin Campbell goals and a Jimmy Floyd red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

First time I saw Liverpool live was when they played Dundalk in the European Cup in '82. Liverpool won 1-4, and I saw so many of my heroes, but as an 8 year my main memory was being so surprised that you couldn't hear the TV commentary in the ground! ;)

Then I saw them again in '98 when they beat Leeds 2-0 in the 'Carlsberg Trophy' in Lansdowne Road in '98 (St. Pat's played Lazio in the earlier game I think). Berger scored a screamer and Owen scored too. Loved the Leeds fans in one corner constantly chanting, and the Liverpool fans chanting back, added a good atmosphere.

Finally got to Anfield in 2006 when they beat Fullham 4-0. Even Carragher scored (not an own goal!). Loved every minute of that. I think my first few games at Anfield were quite lucky, some 4-0s and even a 6-0 against Derby. I think it was 5 or 6 games before I finally saw the opposition score at Anfield! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

25th Oct 1992 Liverpool 4 V 1 Norwich City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

29th October 1994, Manchester United 2-0 Newcastle

Gary Pallister with a header at the Stretford end in the first half. Keith Gillespie scored for United in the second half.

Andy Cole wasn't playing for Newcastle, must have been injured. I think they were top of the league (before the game). A few months later Gillespie ended up as a Newcastle player and Andy Cole signed for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

First First Division game October 1970 Chelsea 2 Southampton 2 seeing Charlie Cooke & Peter Osgood up close was a dream come true for a very young lad.
    First Premier league game December 1996 Chelsea 2 Sheffield Wednesday 2 (seems to be something about 2-2 draws now i look at it), was also my son's first ever Chelsea game the dream coming true this time was Franco what a player he was. Everything was going well until Grodas made a horrible mistake in the last minute to gift them a goal, he has never been forgiven :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

Man United 2-0 Spurs on 10th January 1998.

I was 10, still have the ticket at home. Giggs scored twice. The capacity of Old Trafford was 55,000 or so then. Missed the first goal because my Dad had to bring me to the jacks. It was a day trip so we were back home in time to catch the highlights that night on MOTD. Vaguely remember meeting Niall Quinn in Dublin Airport on the way home too and getting an autograph off him, he played and scored for Sunderland in the old Division One earlier on that day too. Another strange vague memory for some reason is Gala's Freed From Desire being played over the tannoy pre-match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Man United vs Newcastle in the opening game of the 2010 season. 3-0 to Man United with Berba, Fletcher and Giggs scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Didn't make it to Anfield until 2005, Liverpool 1-1 Middlesbrough. Stevie G scored a cracker into the Kop end from about 30 yards out.

Was a thrill seeing them live for the first time in January 93 when they played Shels in Tolka in a friendly, remember seeing a young Jamie Redknapp score and they won 2-1, was thrilled to see John Barnes in person making his comeback from injury. Always remember seeing them vs UCD in the old Lansdowne Road in 95 too, was the first game under the floodlights. The rumour was that they were going to sign Jason Sherlock who was playing for UCD !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh my goodness I'm a dumbass!

The first game I saw live was actilually Liverpool vs Middlesborough May Bank Holiday weekend in 2004.
    It was tough sitting there as a United fan! Liverpool won and I think Stuart Downing had a goal ruled out for offside for boro.

Advertisement