Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using 20l kerosene drum

• 09-12-2018 7:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen adverts for a setup that allows 20l drums to connect to an oil burner for home heating.

Can’t for the life of me find it now.

Can anyone point me towards a supplier for this setup or even know what it’s called.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

the guy advertised on done deal based in kilbeggan westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Found it eventually.
    Maybe googling stuff in the middle of the night isn’t too wise.

https://www.handyoil.ie/product-page

€225, seems expensive.

Was considering adding it to a property I’ve rented out as tenants seem to like using drums of oil rather than the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

If a burner runs out of fuel does it cause damage? Need to be bled?

These drums are a recipe for that. Especially for tenants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

893bet wrote: »
    If a burner runs out of fuel does it cause damage? Need to be bled?

These drums are a recipe for that. Especially for tenants.
    Airlocks can be an issue.

I can see the need and convenience for this drum storage, but it wouldn't be covered under your property insurance especially in rented accommodation.

check out with your insurance companies before you proceed.

there's other options to protect your heating equipment from tenants using drums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

irishgeo wrote: »

If his tenant is using drums w very bit of crap down bottom of tank is getting churned through burner AND air locks are still an issue.

Is this yoke the lesser of two evils?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If his tenant is using drums w very bit of crap down bottom of tank is getting churned through burner AND air locks are still an issue.

Is this yoke the lesser of two evils?

The dirt usually settles below the tank output pipe. barrels will empty a lot quicker than tanks filled with barrels. therefore more chance of an airlock with barrels.

irishgeo wrote:

a deaireator 'tigerloop' is fitted with drum system also there is a purge hand pump on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

building regs partJ TGD
    5.2.2 The tank should comply with OFTEC’s
    technical specification for tanks. OFS T100
    specifies requirements for static thermoplastic
    tanks and integrally bunded tanks and all
    rotationally moulded polyethylene tanks
    should be tested and approved in accordance
    with I.S. EN 13341.
    this is oftec OFT T100 link and i would draw your attention to the first lines which state Oil should never be stored in translucent plastic containers
    https://www.oftec.org/Media/Default/DocGalleries/Technical%20Book%20Three%20Updates/OFTEC_TechnicalBook3_AMD_03_0613_15.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

_Brian wrote: »
    Was considering adding it to a property I’ve rented out as tenants seem to like using drums of oil rather than the tank.

You're not worried that it'll mean they're getting dodgy stuff that's stolen/full gunk or water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a bit more hassle for you, but if tenants prefer only using the oil as-needed rather than filling the full tank, then I'd be inclined to agree with them that you fill the tank and take measurements monthly, then pass the bill onto them. Saves them the hassle of hauling 20l drums in and out of the property, and it means you're less likely to be left with a damaged or airlocked system.

Stick a readable gauge on it, and every time you do an inspection you take a reading and work out what you're owed.

You can even get a remote gauge that allows you to take a reading from anywhere, but they're expensive and have a yearly service charge, so a bit overkill unless you're not at the property very often.

Advertisement