Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a 2010+ diesel 5 door

• 09-12-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a 2010+ 5 door Diesel.

I do 80km return trip Monday to Friday mostly motorway driving.

Budget is around 7500, so i've been narrowing it down to <8200 on Donedeal etc.

So far I've seen:

-1.6 Focus TDCI (Hearing trouble about these - HDI engines? To go for a 1.8/2.0 instead?)

- Punto Evo 1.3 Multijet - I've had a fair share of Puntos in the past and I like them and know them inside out.

- Megane GT Line - This is probably on top of my list. There's a nice 2012 white 5 door on DD asking 5750e which I'm going to view today. It's an import and there's no service history but he said we can do a cartell (or UK equivalant) report and he will bring it to my mechanic to inspect so i'm willing to give it a chance.

We also have a Megane Coupe in the family (Same 1.5 Diesel but non GT line) the last 5 years and it's been trouble free. There's 127k KMS on it whereas the one I'm viewing today is 98K MILES.

-1.6 Golf - all seem high milage and mad money for bog spec!

Regarding what I want in a car, gadgets and spec, i'm coming from a 318D with no sensors, no bluetooth, no cruise control so anything is a plus.
    I've never owned an Automatic but i'm open to it. Ideally would like less than 100k miles on it too.

Welcoming other suggestions. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

rizzee wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a 2010+ 5 door Diesel.

I do 80km return trip Monday to Friday mostly motorway driving.

Budget is around 7500, so i've been narrowing it down to <8200 on Donedeal etc.

So far I've seen:

-1.6 Focus TDCI (Hearing trouble about these - HDI engines? To go for a 1.8/2.0 instead?)

- Punto Evo 1.3 Multijet - I've had a fair share of Puntos in the past and I like them and know them inside out.

- Megane GT Line - This is probably on top of my list. There's a nice 2012 white 5 door on DD asking 5750e which I'm going to view today. It's an import and there's no service history but he said we can do a cartell (or UK equivalant) report and he will bring it to my mechanic to inspect so i'm willing to give it a chance.

We also have a Megane Coupe in the family (Same 1.5 Diesel but non GT line) the last 5 years and it's been trouble free. There's 127k KMS on it whereas the one I'm viewing today is 98K MILES.

-1.6 Golf - all seem high milage and mad money for bog spec!

Regarding what I want in a car, gadgets and spec, i'm coming from a 318D with no sensors, no bluetooth, no cruise control so anything is a plus.
    I've never owned an Automatic but i'm open to it. Ideally would like less than 100k miles on it too.

Welcoming other suggestions. Thanks :)

I do a similar commute which equals to 20-22k km per year.

I was driving a 05 petrol auto 1.6 focus averaging 7.5-8 lt/100 km

Now I drive a 1.6 diesel automatic 16 grand picasso averaging 5.8-6.3 lt /100 km

Difference in fuel consumption is around 400 lt per year plus diesel/petrol difference so around 700 Euro per year.

My point is that you don't have to restrict yourself diesels with higher risk of something going wrong and look for a newer petrol or a hybrid car for similar budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Bazz - really hadn't thought about importing. Seems like a great spec! Unfortunately I don't think I'd have the time to do this realistically.

The UK import owner said they have documents from UK when they purchased at an auction. No mention of cartell etc but there is a language barrier between us. Think I will leave it.

Kerten - thanks for the suggestion. There's not really any hybrids out there in my budget that tickle my fancy. I'm kind of stuck on a diesel as I do the milage and with the motorway driving I won't be stuck for dpf issues etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d be looking at Megane, i30 and Ceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Checking out a 2014 Megane the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement