Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    Regarding the reported posts - we can't add allow unspoilered discussion about Netflix shows because all episodes are available at once and everyone watches at their own pace. Spoiler tags are a necessary evil in these kinds of threads, I'm afraid.
    For how long? Forever with Netflix series?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At a rate of one episode a week seems fair. So 10 weeks for this series.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finished the series finally, don't think the end was as strong as it could have been, but overall a very enjoyable series. Will be interesting to see what they do with the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

flazio wrote: »

That seems reasonable enough: and not because I'm only at episode 6 :D

People have different speeds of consumption, and seems only fair to give some grace period before allowing spoilers up the wazoo.

As to the show, it hasn't been mentioned I don't think, but it speaks to the overall quality of TV these days that a photorealistic CGI talking monkey can be part of the show and we just accept it. It's a fantastic piece of FX work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

flazio wrote: »

I'd nearly go one episode a day and expect spoilers after that. One episode a week would be far too long to wait to post without having to use spoiler tags. Sure for shows that have say 13 episodes, that's 3 months after airing before people could talk about it without spoiler tags? Far too long imo.

Ultimately, when shows are released like this, it's best to avoid entering online discussion threads about it until you've finished it. Use spoiler tags for at most the first month, but after that it should be fair game and enter at your own risk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem is, everyone watches at their own pace because that's the nature of the beast; streaming services are a bit of a wild west. 3 months seem extreme, but then were the show broadcast on a normal station that'd be the length of time anyway. A blanket 10 weeks then add "**SPOILERS**" gets added to the title is as good an arbitrary value as any...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Just because old fashioned TV airs week to week, why do we have to adhere to that before dropping spoiler tags? It is madness and everyone knows it. It's not logical.

No one's claiming TV discussion is logical :) And AFAIK there's no silver bullet figure being used on the forum; but nor is it a big ask for a little leeway to those not watching the show in a 'binge' format. Everyone's welcome to discuss the show, just requires people to be mindful that not everyone is going to be at the same point.

I didnt think it was a spoiler bc i hadn't a clue what it was about

Just finished the season there now. I think i got more and more into it as it went along. Definitely will watch the next season

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would take talk about something that hasn't aired yet as a spoiler.

Be that a current seasons unaired episodes or for a streaming networks announced story lines on an upcoming renewed season.

• Advertisement

Netflix obviously knew it was a popular scene as they put it up on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just finished this there.

Phenomenal direction, music, casting, production values.

I've a nitpick about time travel stuff generally. I think all events tend to be left feeling a bit washed out of emotion, because as soon as they happen, you're thinking "is that going to stick? If not, why not?" instead of just rolling with it and enjoying it, but that only diminished it slightly.

Excellent show. The best thing of this sort - sci-fi/fantasy/comic-booky thing/ done by Netflix by a million miles.

In the finale
    what was the deal with Mr Hargreaves and his wife's death, with space ships flying away? And his jar of magic sparkly mayonnaise? Is he an alien or something?

Very much looking forward to season 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Gbear wrote: »
    Just finished this there.

Phenomenal direction, music, casting, production values.

I've a nitpick about time travel stuff generally. I think all events tend to be left feeling a bit washed out of emotion, because as soon as they happen, you're thinking "is that going to stick? If not, why not?" instead of just rolling with it and enjoying it, but that only diminished it slightly.

Excellent show. The best thing of this sort - sci-fi/fantasy/comic-booky thing/ done by Netflix by a million miles.

In the finale
    what was the deal with Mr Hargreaves and his wife's death, with space ships flying away? And his jar of magic sparkly mayonnaise? Is he an alien or something?

Very much looking forward to season 2.

Yes.
    That was a scene from a different planet.

Finished up tonight; a very solid, charismatic show and definitely one of Netflix's more commendable recent fare. It somewhat reminded me of The Magicians, as they're both about a core set of losers and habitual f*ck ups.

Only quibble was that it had the reverse problem of Netflix shows: most of the time their material had too little story spread across too many episodes, whereas here some plot points were raced through without much ceremony.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Only quibble was that it had the reverse problem of Netflix shows: most of the time their material had too little story spread across too many episodes, whereas here some plot points were raced through without much ceremony.

Which ones in particular?

I'm thinking that it would've been nice to get maybe half an episode on
    4's sojourn to Vietnam. It was a way to breeze through something important and give you a decent sense of it, but as one of the few things that elevated Klaus above a junkie with mental problems it would've been nice to get a bit more time with it.

I also thought he went from useless to conjouring spirits of the dead a bit too quickly. In a lone superhero story you might expect Klaus's story beginning as it did, and then he hits rock bottom, and then talks to 5, and tries to move out of his comfort zone, fails, goes back on the drugs, before finally succeeding and therefore growing as a hero/person. Here they just kinda went from talking to 5 straight to the end.

Gbear wrote: »
    Which ones in particular?

I'm thinking that it would've been nice to get maybe half an episode on
    4's sojourn to Vietnam. It was a way to breeze through something important and give you a decent sense of it, but as one of the few things that elevated Klaus above a junkie with mental problems it would've been nice to get a bit more time with it.

I also thought he went from useless to conjouring spirits of the dead a bit too quickly. In a lone superhero story you might expect Klaus's story beginning as it did, and then he hits rock bottom, and then talks to 5, and tries to move out of his comfort zone, fails, goes back on the drugs, before finally succeeding and therefore growing as a hero/person. Here they just kinda went from talking to 5 straight to the end.

Yeah that was the main one:
    Klaus was basically a bit of a punchline, and his time in Vietnam just needed a little more storytelling. This was his great love yet we saw ... what, one boozy night? And like you said, the sudden manifestation of his powers was a bit convenient & sudden.

And the world-building in general felt a little haphazard: outside of the Academy & The Commission, there was a disconnect between this world of superheroes, talking monkeys or androids, and the rest of the planet.

But like I said, just quibbles really and wasn't really something that ruined my enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

bluewolf wrote: »
    I didnt think it was a spoiler bc i hadn't a clue what it was about

Just finished the season there now. I think i got more and more into it as it went along. Definitely will watch the next season

It was a bit slow around Eps 2 and 3 but after that it took off and was brilliant. There's so much they can cover in a new season that I'm really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I have no knowledge outside of watching the show, so don't think I can be hit with a spoiler hammer :)

I was really surprised that there was never any mention of the other special kids.
    there were 43 kids born at same time etc, we only see 7 who seem to have knowingly been adopted by the Professor (who is alien, time traveller, not sure) to assess them and find and train their powers.
    Presumably there are 36 other 30 year olds around the world with other crazy powers.
    I suppose it will depend when and where the next series is set whether that will be relevant though.
    We could end up with a 'special of the week' where they just bounce around through time and space gathering more academy members, which sounds like it would be a waste of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I have no knowledge outside of watching the show, so don't think I can be hit with a spoiler hammer :)

I was really surprised that there was never any mention of the other special kids.
    there were 43 kids born at same time etc, we only see 7 who seem to have knowingly been adopted by the Professor (who is alien, time traveller, not sure) to assess them and find and train their powers.
    Presumably there are 36 other 30 year olds around the world with other crazy powers.

Apparently, in the comics
    They all died as children

Confirmed as renewed for a second season ...

Mod note: I've added "spoilers" to the title so feel free to speculate on season 2's direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conorbarry1984

Have to say that news has cheered me up, really enjoyed this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Watching this, two things became clear.

1, I love Pogo, possibly one of my all time fave characters......serious.

2, I really really don't like Robert Sheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Watching this, two things became clear.

1, I love Pogo, possibly one of my all time fave characters......serious.

2, I really really don't like Robert Sheehan

Pretty much the opposite of my own feelings.

Beyond bring a realistic looking walking taking monkey (which is impressive for TV)I didn't really see anything great in pogo's actual character.
    And Sheeran felt like only convincing human character apart from the kid

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah Pogo's entire role in the show seemed to boil down to "It's time I told you the truth... (valuable bit of information he definitely should have told them before they were pretty much about to discover it themselves anyway)" every two episodes. Mother-bot was a much better character imo, really enjoyed a lot of her scenes.

Robert Sheehan was hit and miss for me. Some good bits some bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cjragoo

Anyone else struggling to get into this? On the 2nd episode and the hour runtime feels about 2 hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

cjragoo wrote: »
    Anyone else struggling to get into this? On the 2nd episode and the hour runtime feels about 2 hours..

I'm pretty sure I was sold on it from the get go .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

cjragoo wrote: »
    I wasn't super into it the first 2 episodes either, but it really clicked for me in the third episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

I hope Ellen page gets replaced. Not a fan of hers at all

• Advertisement

I think she's a delight, personally.

Advertisement