Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 vs. iPhone Xs

Options
  • 09-12-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm going to upgrade from a very old iPhone soon - hopefully before Christmas but most likely won't have the money until after Christmas.

I want at least 128GB and would really like an Xs but the iPhone 7 is considerably less expensive. I'm not considering an 8 because of the price - may as well go that bit extra for an Xs.

Does anyone here have, or had, both the Xs and the 7 or been able to compare them?

I know the Xs is faster and the camera is better but neither of these are shabby on the 7 either.

4K video recording is tempting but how much space does five or ten minutes take o the phone? Is there a limited to how long a 4K (or HD) can be to be upload to iCloud? EDIT: I forgot the 7 has 4K video recording too.

Is there anything an Xs can do that can't be done on a 7?

Cheers

EDIT: iPhone 7 is compatible with ARKit 2. Does this mean it can play the same AR games as the Xs that they've demonstrated at the Apple Events?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In my opinion the 7/8 series is starting to look very dated compared to the X, XR, XS.

I would recommend the XR if cost is a consideration. The screen, while on paper the same as the 7, is great. Far better than the nonsense spouted online before people even saw it. It's blisteringly fast. Camera is better than the 7.

I came from a 7 plus to an XS max and the wife has an XR. The XR is a superior phone to the 7 and really the XS/XS max is only a very borderline upgrade from the XR in my opinion. The screen is better on paper, I really only notice a marginal difference in specific situations. Both are absolutely super phones.

The whole AR stuff is still massively underdeveloped and really isn't a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Thanks for responding.

Can you explain ion what way the 7 is dated compared to the X range?

Other than the bokeh effect I don't understand how the camera has improved. I'm not doubting it has - I just don't understand in what way or by how much. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a photo from a 7 or an X.

I have considered the Xr but when I do I alway think "flip it I may as well go Xs" and 64GB is too small, and then the 512gb isn't that much more expensive than the 256.

And then I don't know if I'd be comfortable carrying around a €1000 + phone in my pocket. I'd probably even keep a 7 in a water and shock proof case permanently. :P

I have wanted an iPad for a long time and the new Pros are very enticing. If I had an iPad Pro then an Xs or Xr would be excessive.

Cost is indeed a consideration but I also want to be sensible. I'd like to have the latest shiny device, but is there anything the X range is capable of that I can't do on a 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Came from 8 plus to XR. Bought new in box locked to VF for €650. Sold the 8 for 550 so 100 to upgrade. Lovely phone. The perfect size in my opinion. Camera excellent, screen more than good enough, battery superb, facial recognition flawless, missing home button is easily forgotten, A12 processor (as non op says, very quick). All in all, it’s a terrific phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I upgraded from a 7 to an XR, but only really because I wanted a bigger screen and an upgraded camera. I was perfectly happy with my 7 for 2 years. I had started to notice it being a bit sluggish, but iOS 12 actually gave it a boost.

If a bigger screen size or incremental camera improvements are not important to you, then ask yourself why you're upgrading.

From what you're saying, I don't see why you'd go for the XS over the XR. What you get for the extra cash doesn't seem to be high on your wish list.

Thanks for responding.

Can you explain ion what way the 7 is dated compared to the X range?

Other than the bokeh effect I don't understand how the camera has improved. I'm not doubting it has - I just don't understand in what way or by how much. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a photo from a 7 or an X.

I have considered the Xr but when I do I alway think "flip it I may as well go Xs" and 64GB is too small, and then the 512gb isn't that much more expensive than the 256.

And then I don't know if I'd be comfortable carrying around a €1000 + phone in my pocket. I'd probably even keep a 7 in a water and shock proof case permanently. :P

I have wanted an iPad for a long time and the new Pros are very enticing. If I had an iPad Pro then an Xs or Xr would be excessive.

Cost is indeed a consideration but I also want to be sensible. I'd like to have the latest shiny device, but is there anything the X range is capable of that I can't do on a 7?

The bezels on the 7 look very dated when you get used to the X.

The camera is better, although how much better I'm not sure. The HDR implementation is very impressive now and it has marginally better low light performance.

Don't underestimate the performance of the A12 chip either. It really is a marvel of a chip. It's faster than an i5 MacBook pro in certain circumstances. It is considerably faster than the iPhone 7 and will drive the phone without a hitch as long as the phone lasts. I have a XS Max, mainly because I like the newest shiniest thing and my wife has an XR. Honestly I should have just gotten the XR. It's a super phone.

Save the money on the XS and get an iPad pro!

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I upgraded from a 7 to an XR, but only really because I wanted a bigger screen and an upgraded camera. I was perfectly happy with my 7 for 2 years. I had started to notice it being a bit sluggish, but iOS 12 actually gave it a boost.

So the pre-X range are indeed getting slower and not just by comparison to the X ?
    If a bigger screen size or incremental camera improvements are not important to you, then ask yourself why you're upgrading.

I'm upgrading because I'm on an iPhone that has suffered a few knocks. :)
    From what you're saying, I don't see why you'd go for the XS over the XR. What you get for the extra cash doesn't seem to be high on your wish list.

The hard drive space.

The bezels on the 7 look very dated when you get used to the X.

The camera is better, although how much better I'm not sure. The HDR implementation is very impressive now and it has marginally better low light performance.

Don't underestimate the performance of the A12 chip either. It really is a marvel of a chip. It's faster than an i5 MacBook pro in certain circumstances. It is considerably faster than the iPhone 7 and will drive the phone without a hitch as long as the phone lasts. I have a XS Max, mainly because I like the newest shiniest thing and my wife has an XR. Honestly I should have just gotten the XR. It's a super phone.

Save the money on the XS and get an iPad pro!

I would like the latest shiny but the look of the phone isn't a priority. All iPhones look nice anyway. :)

I suppose I'm going have test an iPhone 7 and an Xs - it is the only way I'd understand how their speeds.

I would like the latest shiny but the look of the phone isn't a priority. All iPhones look nice anyway. :)

I suppose I'm going have test an iPhone 7 and an Xs - it is the only way I'd understand how their speeds.

You say you’re coming from an old iphone, so if we are talking 4s/5, then the 7 will be a serious upgrade. That said, if you get your hands on an XS and draw comparisons, you’ll see some difference. That said, there’s several hundred euros in the difference. All comes down to budget at the days end.

dodzy wrote: »
    You say you’re coming from an old iphone, so if we are talking 4s/5, then the 7 will be a serious upgrade. That said, if you get your hands on an XS and draw comparisons, you’ll see some difference. That said, there’s several hundred euros in the difference. All comes down to budget at the days end.

The budget isn't really a concern. It isn't that I'm loaded or have money to burn - 600 for a 7 will hurt, never mind the cost of an X - but I'd be willing to get an X range but for a few things -

- it has been so long since I used my iPhone 4 as anything except a phone that, yes as you said, the 7 would be a serious upgrade and it might be more than enough.

- Would I be comfortable carrying around a €1000 gadget

I find myself deciding on the 7 and then thinking "but am I throwing money away on an older model even though it is still a great device"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Went from a 7plus to XS max and it’s like nice and day.
    I never though faceid would be so much better than Touch ID. But I’m so happy to be proved wrong.
    The missus has a iPhone 7 and any time I have to check something on it for her I keep forgetting I have to click the home button etc. it seems so horribly dated.
    Go for the XR or XS. You won’t regret either.

• Advertisement

The hard drive space.
    You can get up to 256GB on an XR. Do you really need 512?

Not sure why anyone would need a phone with half a terabyte of space unless you're shooting 4K documentaries on it!

You can get up to 256GB on an XR. Do you really need 512?

Not sure why anyone would need a phone with half a terabyte of space unless you're shooting 4K documentaries on it!

I honestly don't know if I need that much space but 32gb on my iPhone 4 was never enough and back in 2013 I decided to save a bit of cash by going for a 80gb Macbook Air. I've always regretted not getting a proper size hard drive.

Now it has been so long since using an iPhone properly I don't know what size is best so lean towards better to have a lot and not need, etc.

Plus if I have the €1300 to buy a 256gb, the 512 is only 200 more.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have a 64gb 8 plus and it's plenty. Eliminated lots of apps that I never use and make good use of cloud services.

Rather do that than give Apple 200 quid extra for 256gb extra storage. Ridiculous price.

is there a size limit on videos shot on an iPhone that can be saved to iCloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I bought the 7 and have to say it's the worst thing I ever bought.it was away twice for fixing due to not being able to find a network and last week I plugged it in and it downloaded a new ios and its fcuked again.an absolute ball of scrap

I bought the 7 and have to say it's the worst thing I ever bought.it was away twice for fixing due to not being able to find a network and last week I plugged it in and it downloaded a new ios and its fcuked again.an absolute ball of scrap

That's not a typical experience. Did you buy new?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That's not a typical experience. Did you buy new?

Bought second hand with guarantee.crowd I bought from went bust so no guarantee.it started searching for network and started turning on off.was 3 weeks away first time for a chip fix same second time.plugged in last week it did an automatic iOS download and the phone is now locked out.even the lad I was talking to in Apple hadn't heard of it.phone needs to be updated to access data it said but it was on latest update and itunes or normal wifi download won't work. I don't know what I'll do with it now.
    Apple would want 345 Euro to service it

Bought second hand with guarantee.crowd I bought from went bust so no guarantee.it started searching for network and started turning on off.was 3 weeks away first time for a chip fix same second time.plugged in last week it did an automatic iOS download and the phone is now locked out.even the lad I was talking to in Apple hadn't heard of it.phone needs to be updated to access data it said but it was on latest update and itunes or normal wifi download won't work. I don't know what I'll do with it now.
    Apple would want 345 Euro to service it
    Bought second hand with guarantee.crowd I bought from went bust so no guarantee....

Sort of says it all really. As non-op says, the exception as opposed to the norm. It's a very good handset.

I honestly don't know if I need that much space but 32gb on my iPhone 4 was never enough and back in 2013 I decided to save a bit of cash by going for a 80gb Macbook Air. I've always regretted not getting a proper size hard drive.

Now it has been so long since using an iPhone properly I don't know what size is best so lean towards better to have a lot and not need, etc.
    I had a 128GB iPhone 7, and after two years it was only half full, so when I upgraded I just went for 64GB. Using the cloud or a hard drive to store your stuff makes a lot more sense than carrying it around with you everywhere. Sure you can buy a 128GB flash drive for about 30 quid.

Plus if I have the €1300 to buy a 256gb, the 512 is only 200 more.:P
    A 256GB XR is €520 less than a 512 XS. That's a lot of wedge to put towards an iPad.

I suspect you've got you mind set on the shiniest and greatest and are trying to convince yourself you need it. We've all done it. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Go for the XR. I got mine the other day and its a quality phone. Upgraded from a 6s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Personally I’d go with the 7 and the reason is Touch ID, I don’t like any of the new iPhones and when my 7 gives up the ghost I’ll be switching to Android, better value, more choice and better phones in general as most Android phones seem to be always a few steps ahead of Apple. For me Apple lost it a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

200motels wrote: »
    Personally I’d go with the 7 and the reason is Touch ID, I don’t like any of the new iPhones and when my 7 gives up the ghost I’ll be switching to Android, better value, more choice and better phones in general as most Android phones seem to be always a few steps ahead of Apple. For me Apple lost it a long time ago.

I've always had iPhones but I think i'd agree with you. I'd prefer to switch than get one of the newer iPhones. I hate the notch also.

200motels wrote: »
    Yesh, yeah, close the door on your way out will ya ?

The lack of the button is progress. Can't beat the facial.

I had a 128GB iPhone 7, and after two years it was only half full, so when I upgraded I just went for 64GB. Using the cloud or a hard drive to store your stuff makes a lot more sense than carrying it around with you everywhere. Sure you can buy a 128GB flash drive for about 30 quid.

A 256GB XR is €520 less than a 512 XS. That's a lot of wedge to put towards an iPad.

I suspect you've got you mind set on the shiniest and greatest and are trying to convince yourself you need it. We've all done it. :P

:)

A lot of sense there

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

I upgraded from a 4s to a 7Plus 2 years ago and I don’t feel the need to upgrade the phone yet. The pictures I take are excellent (by my standards) and I rarely bother carrying my expensive digital camera anymore.

I also upgraded my iPad to a Pro version last Xmas as the big screen was what I was looking for, but the software lets it down as the recent updates occasionally cause screen lag when typing, for no obvious reason.

If you’re not particularly bothered about having the latest gadgets but want something functional and an obvious improvement on previous models then you’ll probably be perfectly happy with the 7plus.

Advertisement