Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Am I missing something? I thought the MK1 Golfs stopped being made in the mid 80s? That car has a 91 reg?

The mk1 shape was still being built in South Africa, RHD, until recently, maybe 4/5 years ago at a guess.
    I saw an imoorted one in a car park, a few years back, i can't remember what year it was but it something like 2010ish.
    Pretty much the whole exterior looked like an 80s car but the interior was like a 2010 Caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The CitiGolf. There was a red 09 around Cork up to a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The CitiGolf. There was a red 09 around Cork up to a few years ago
    There was a dark green 08 floating about too - spotted it in Cork and Kanturk. Again it was a few years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's very cool. One of the best car designs of all time the mark 1 Golf. Well Giugiaro held the crayons so... Later marks of course became faster and more capable with more toys and comfort and safety, but none came close to the purity of design of the first one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Technique wrote: »

Interesting to note that they cost approx €6000 new in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

What an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That might be the best quote we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

CianRyan wrote: »
    That might be the best quote we've had.

If a normal sticker adds 5bhp
    How much does a full rally spec sticker add?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At least 100hp. Though to be fair the photos aren't too bad and show the interior and under the bonnet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I would have though +20mm suspension travel and +50 grip on dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1999-nissan-primera-sri-nct-22-gt-interior-/28117011

M2RjOWE0M2IxODEyY2FjMmQyZDVjMDg3ZDU1NzdkOGNrbU5sQm-i_0AZYzlav7g1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODAyODEyNzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

€2750 no offers for a "bargain future classic" 99 Primera diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

€2,950 now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It was up for €1950 yesterday evening. It's cool but i wouldn't pay €3k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kinda shows they’re going up in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This fella's off the head. It looks good mind you but some price for a rep.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/28117310?campaign=3

ZGZlN2JjYjIzNDAwOGUwMDkwMTIzM2JlZDgzYmQ5ZTM0qG7mOM6TMR_RLlFwVU3LaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODAyODM0MDh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This fella's off the head. It looks good mind you but some price for a rep.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/28117310?campaign=3

ZGZlN2JjYjIzNDAwOGUwMDkwMTIzM2JlZDgzYmQ5ZTM0qG7mOM6TMR_RLlFwVU3LaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODAyODM0MDh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

38k for a wrx with a body kit for another car.....
    I'll have two of whatever he's on.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Many years back there was a RS200 kit that consisted of a spaceframe with panels on top and other bespoke bits and bobs to make it mid engined, using a Sierra Cossie as a donor(you'd be shot for that now :D ). It looked pretty bloody good tbh. I could understand something like that getting a good price because a) it followed the original mid engined 4WD layout and b) it kept things in the same manufacturer's stable as it were, so would retain some of the original feel and behaviour. This is "Ferrari" on MR2 territory.

And again with the crap ad. The header is "Car", the description is scant and the pics are decidedly so so. I can understand all of that for a 2 or 3k average car, but for something oddball and mad money?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

And probably the laziest ad I've ever seen

"Car for Sale"....FFS :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Is it a typo where it says NOI plates I wonder? surely price is including Irish VRT..

If it is, and it's a fresh import.. I'm not surprised at the price, but feckin hell it's getting out of hand alright.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Japs prices on speed
    I could kinda understand this IF we were talking about standard unmolested cars. Low mileage and low ownership would be a bonus. That's what has always sold well in the classic end of things, modern or not. Though the more modern, the more standard and unmolested is what was traditionally expected, sought out and got the higher values.

With the Jap stuff, certainly here in Ireland the vast majority on offer are not standard, are often ropey, often with different body colour from original and riced out with aftermarket stuff. Traditionally that has never sold at a premium. Buyers want standard above all, with as little "upgrading" as possible. That is still the case in the rest of the world, but not here. Here sellers at least seem to think the market wants the lower end fecked about stuff with low mileage pristine example prices.

That Glanza a good example. 100,000 miles in old money is not "low mileage" unless you're flogging a retired Space Shuttle. All the aftermarket ricer stuff is not standard by any stretch and it would cost a fortune in cash and effort to return it to standard. If you could find the parts "Screamer pipe"... yeah. That stuff appealed to a young audience at the height of the JDM craze 15 years ago, but few young types today would want it, or could afford to insure it and those wanting a second car to relive their youth will seek out standard cars.

The Irish market has always been a bit funny, mostly because of a tiny population of petrolheads and a lack of choice, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Wibbs wrote: »
    I could kinda understand this IF we were talking about standard unmolested cars. Low mileage and low ownership would be a bonus. That's what has always sold well in the classic end of things, modern or not. Though the more modern, the more standard and unmolested is what was traditionally expected, sought out and got the higher values.

With the Jap stuff, certainly here in Ireland the vast majority on offer are not standard, are often ropey, often with different body colour from original and riced out with aftermarket stuff. Traditionally that has never sold at a premium. Buyers want standard above all, with as little "upgrading" as possible. That is still the case in the rest of the world, but not here. Here sellers at least seem to think the market wants the lower end fecked about stuff with low mileage pristine example prices.

That Glanza a good example. 100,000 miles in old money is not "low mileage" unless you're flogging a retired Space Shuttle. All the aftermarket ricer stuff is not standard by any stretch and it would cost a fortune in cash and effort to return it to standard. If you could find the parts "Screamer pipe"... yeah. That stuff appealed to a young audience at the height of the JDM craze 15 years ago, but few young types today would want it, or could afford to insure it and those wanting a second car to relive their youth will seek out standard cars.

The Irish market has always been a bit funny, mostly because of a tiny population of petrolheads and a lack of choice, but still...

You're right in a lot of what you say above of course Wibbs, but the sums are simple on this one in my reckoning - that is if it's a fresh import

Car cost in Japan - approx €6k eur (estimate)
    VAT, Duty, agent fees, shipping etc. approx €4k eur? (guess, someone else might be able to help on this)
    VRT - approx €1500? + Nox €600
    total car cost before cleaning, service, transport from port etc. - €12.1k

It's off the wall of course, but so is our current reality

Wibbs wrote: »

Not to be that guy but an average of 7000km a year on a 24 year old car is low milage.
    I'd also disagree on the desirability, I know plenty of people that would want it that are aged between 20's and their 50's.

I will agree there's an awful lot of tarted up messes left over from the nineties and naughties that should be stripped, made original and have the crap taken off incinerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

50 shades of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

TheW1zard wrote: »

And it's a waste of time reporting ads like that to donedeal. My head was melted a few weeks ago with a similar seller. Reporting did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I had to text him to find out. Yeah he's serious. He's entertaining offers around 10k...

I knew there was a drug problem in limerick though.

• Advertisement

Not to be that guy but an average of 7000km a year on a 24 year old car is low milage.
    Oh for its age it is alright, but when you see big ticket auctions on classics low mileage means low mileage regardless of age. That's more what I meant, though extremely low mileage brings its own issues. Interiors and exteriors may be pristine, but quite often every seal in the oily bits needs checking.
    I'd also disagree on the desirability, I know plenty of people that would want it that are aged between 20's and their 50's.
    Really M? I'm obviously out of the loop. :o Still I would have thought originality would be the thing when looking for a car like that, especially at the prices being sought. It's a near rule in the wider classic car market(and worldwide) that the higher the price the more standard the car. Third party "upgrades" are almost always frowned upon. Though to be fair JDM stuff is and always was a little bit of an outlier there. There's more of an expectation for them to be riced out. Whereas in the generation of mostly European cars just before that, the Max Power generation; something like a bog standard Renault 5 Turbo is going to get way more than a tricked out one these days. Those that escaped the Halford's makeover carry a premium.

I wonder is the JDM difference down to video games? Bear with me... :D A goodly part of their popularity came from that source and in the same games as you win more, you have options for upgrades. I have noticed that old third party JDM upgrades can go for crazy money on their own, in ways that no old third party Euro stuff would.
    Jaysus. :eek: And yet there's a 1.6 Integra jazzed up with the right bits to look like an R on Arsebook marketplace for 4k.

Advertisement