Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think that Kerry e30 is on or very close to the right money. A friend of mine bought an e30 320i with a 2.8(?) conversion around 6 years ago for that money, was a fairly tidy car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

Killinator wrote: »
    Says apart from centre caps on wheels the car is complete......
    Then goes on to say it needs a new door and backbox too!

What!?!

Probably just left out a word

Car has BBS wheels but center caps missing otherwise car is complete dung

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are full Resprays Common In Ireland on cars that are 15 or 20 years old?

Definitely, sure I've resprayed about 5 cars at this stage. As soon as the car hit's 15 years old it's straight onto the panel beater to arrange a time to get work done on the body and a respray.

Jokes aside, not really. If it was a rare car then yes you may completely overhaul a car but that would cost big bucks. Windows out subframe dropped, engine out, engine and gearbox overhauled, rust taking care of. But the car would usually be a lot older than 15 years to get that type of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I think that Kerry e30 is on or very close to the right money. A friend of mine bought an e30 320i with a 2.8(?) conversion around 6 years ago for that money, was a fairly tidy car too.

Ye a genuine sport you'll struggle to get one in any sort if restorable condition for under 10k. Door and a backbox would be the absolute least of your worries if your looking at buying a cheap one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Definitely, sure I've resprayed about 5 cars at this stage. As soon as the car hit's 15 years old it's straight onto the panel beater to arrange a time to get work done on the body and a respray.

Jokes aside, not really. If it was a rare car then yes you may completely overhaul a car but that would cost big bucks. Windows out subframe dropped, engine out, engine and gearbox overhauled, rust taking care of. But the car would usually be a lot older than 15 years to get that type of work done.

Cheers was just curious why the beemer owner would spend over 2k to respray a car then sell it a few weeks later. Didnt make sense to me

"Very nice 325ci on offer here car had a recent full respray at a cost of over 2k."
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-325ci/24064316

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

Cheers was just curious why the beemer owner would spend over 2k to respray a car then sell it a few weeks later. Didnt make sense to me

"Very nice 325ci on offer here car had a recent full respray at a cost of over 2k."

maybe he should hire a photographer to take some decent photos at a cost of over €250 so that his ad reflects his ridiculous asking price. Amazes me how little effort can be applied to some ads....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm afraid to say but that was a cheap respray. Prep was more than likely not the best. Also paintwork will go bad a lot sooner than when the factory done it.

edit: Unless he done all the prep work himself to keep costs down but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24076355
    Meant to be appreciating but €26k???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Andrew33 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24076355
    Meant to be appreciating but €26k???

It's not outrageous, there's an absolute fortune spent on it

It's not outrageous, there's an absolute fortune spent on it
    Regardless of the spend, it’s double what it’s worth.

• Advertisement

Regardless of the spend, it’s double what it’s worth.

People who buy defenders don't care what they're worth, they're a money pit unless you spend a small fortune on them to make them last. I've a work colleague spent about 5 grand on his 97 in the last year and he still hasn't gone galvanise yet, and he plans to.

There'd sure be no fun buying one with all the work done though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That’s G wagon money and I know which one id prefer.

People who buy defenders don't care what they're worth, they're a money pit unless you spend a small fortune on them to make them last. I've a work colleague spent about 5 grand on his 97 in the last year and he still hasn't gone galvanise yet, and he plans to.

There'd sure be no fun buying one with all the work done though!
    I just don’t get the fascination with them.
    They’re slow, uncomfortable, not the most reliable, and the need to strip and galvanize the chassis when the vehicle is a handful of years old is a joke.

I just don’t get the fascination with them.
    They’re slow, uncomfortable, not the most reliable, and the need to strip and galvanize the chassis when the vehicle is a handful of years old is a joke.

My biggest gripe with his is having to put on a coat in summer because of the drafts, FFS, buy a bike if you want fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

My brother in law had a a 01 Defender like that with a ladder up the back and a roof rack like something you'd see at the mart. There was a big chimney sticking up out of it, big fat alloy wheels, acres of checker plate steel, running boards....it looked the dog's b****x. Then I drove it. Agricultural isn't the word. Afterwards I got into my 00 Toyota Corolla 1.3 automatic (horrible looking car) and it felt like a Rolls Royce Phantom.

I got a lift down the M50 in one once.
    Never again......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The likes of the M50 is hardly their natural habitat though.

My uncle had a rough and ready 3 door 78' SWB away back in the day. This was far from one that thousands was spent on... anything but. Used to have a fair sore backside after sitting on the bare metal wheel arches after the round 10 mile trip to town and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

If you havent driven one at least around a field you cant really gave an opinion on one. Theyre a piece of farm machinery so yes theyre agricultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Interslice wrote: »
    If you havent driven one at least around a field you cant really gave an opinion on one. Theyre a piece of farm machinery so yes theyre agricultural.

Except farmers haven’t bought them in decades. They’re an iconic vehicle and people buy them for the way it makes them feel, and the image that they help portray.

I think they’re cool, in the same way that lots of things that rationally aren’t very good at the job they’re put doing are.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Except farmers haven’t bought them in decades. They’re an iconic vehicle and people buy them for the way it makes them feel, and the image that they help portray.

I think they’re cool, in the same way that lots of things that rationally aren’t very good at the job they’re put doing are.

I agree. I think they're very cool. My sister arrived for her wedding in the brother in law's one all ribboned up and everybody laughed. If she arrived in a Chrysler 300C the same bog warriors would have thought it was a Bentley.

If Defenders had the reliability of a 1993 Toyota Corolla, automatic transmission and hydropneumatic suspension I'd love one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

pawdee wrote: »

If Defenders had the reliability of a 1993 Toyota Corolla, automatic transmission and hydropneumatic suspension I'd love one .

Something to stop the breeze inside would be nice too, and perhaps a bubble or recess in the drivers window for the aul elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

A friend used to have an 81 Landcruiser. It hadn't had an easy life, rust holes in the floor of the rear cabin, fairly rough and ready. But it was reliable and pretty nice off road. How do they compare to Defenders of the era?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I agree. I think they're very cool. My sister arrived for her wedding in the brother in law's one all ribboned up and everybody laughed. If she arrived in a Chrysler 300C the same bog warriors would have thought it was a Bentley.

What you have just described is a 70 series landcruiser.. still a bit agricultural, but comes with some comforts and is truly a match for a defender off road.. and will never break

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    A friend used to have an 81 Landcruiser. It hadn't had an easy life, rust holes in the floor of the rear cabin, fairly rough and ready. But it was reliable and pretty nice off road. How do they compare to Defenders of the era?

There is apparently a saying in Australia that goes something like:

If you want to drive into the bush bring a land rover. If you intend to drive out bring a landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

6 years ago? He must have been stone barking mad. You could have bought 2 good 325i Sports for 10k 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Land Cruisers make crazy money. A good clean used one over 10 years can be easily 5 figures. And with high miles. Not saying this one is realsitic or anything!
    Also the commercial tax is another draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

A clean 100 series should make 17-20 grand as it stands.. still a market for them. Probably a bit pricey on that one, but that's not high miles on one of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Those landcruiser Amazon's were 150k new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pablo128 wrote: »
    Those landcruiser Amazon's were 150k new.

Not as a crewcab they weren’t. Even the passenger one wasn’t that much IIRC

The V8 later model was around that I think.

Advertisement