Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this carpenry quote reasonable

Options
  • 09-12-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

To all you carpenters out there. I have just gotten a quote from a carpenter in Dublin of €650. Labour and materials to get a banister on the stairs. It’s a 2 story house. Technically it would need 5 banisters fitted. One each side of 10 steps. One on a small landing then 2 more on each side of 8 steps. The carpenter is getting his materials in B&Q. I kinda thought he would be able to get at trade price in a wholesale place. Materials are €450. Would this be a right quote or am I being done here. I really don’t know. Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cerocco wrote: »
    To all you carpenters out there. I have just gotten a quote from a carpenter in Dublin of €650. Labour and materials to get a banister on the stairs. It’s a 2 story house. Technically it would need 5 banisters fitted. One each side of 10 steps. One on a small landing then 2 more on each side of 8 steps. The carpenter is getting his materials in B&Q. I kinda thought he would be able to get at trade price in a wholesale place. Materials are €450. Would this be a right quote or am I being done here. I really don’t know. Thanks a million

200 labour for what has to be a days work at least, sounds a bit cheap. You sure he’s a carpenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

salmocab wrote: »
    200 labour for what has to be a days work at least, sounds a bit cheap. You sure he’s a carpenter?

I would imagine he is. It’s a business I got in touch with

I would imagine he is. It’s a business I got in touch with

It sounds odd, 200 to cover coming out to measure, give you a quote, go to B&Q get the materials then come around and do what sounds like a full days work at least (in fairness it’s hard to envision the job are we talking handrails fixed to a wall or bannisters with spindles to the stair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No money till job done and you're happy with it.

If you give money for materials up front be prepared to be on here with sob story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

B&Q is the most expensive place (apart from Woodies maybe) that you can buy wood.

What type of wood are you getting? Almost all building providers stock oak and pine banisters and spindles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

He hasn’t come to measure. He is going on what I’m telling him. It’s pine that is being used and chrome brackets to fix to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It depends on what work you are getting done, what type of wood is being used, the type of spindles are being used & if he's has to remove old bannister etc.

The labour sounds to cheap too me. He's gone out to measure up and has to go to the suppliers. There's more than a days work in it when you factor everything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This sounds odd to me. I'm in shower repair and I've had clients swear that their 20 year old shower is a triton t90 only for me to get there & for it to be a Mira Elite. There's no way in hell I'd buy hundreds of euros worth of materials going on information provided by the client. I'd at least need photos or video footage sent to me if I wasn't to inspect for myself

Edit: this does not mean that he's a bad tradesman. It just seems to be a very unusual way to quote for a job

He hasn’t come to measure. He is going on what I’m telling him. It’s pine that is being used and chrome brackets to fix to the wall.

Price sounds okay then but it’s very odd that he’s not come to confirm the lengths and what type of walls they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would a serious tradesman buy anything in B&Q or woodies unless they were badly stuck?

• Advertisement

Would a serious tradesman buy anything in B&Q or woodies unless they were badly stuck?

Probably not, although I think they do trade on some building materials but I don’t know how good those prices are. Possibly only in certain stores though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Are you expecting him to pass on the benefit of a trade price to you? I always assumed that whatever trade discount a tradesperson would get is between him and his supplier and is his to keep because he's in the trade & you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Not sure on the materials. B and q is very expensive on anything I have ever seen in there. Maybe they are cheaper on stairs part I don't know

Labour side seems very cheap. Too cheap.

Are you expecting him to pass on the benefit of a trade price to you? I always assumed that whatever trade discount a tradesperson would get is between him and his supplier and is his to keep because he's in the trade & you aren't.

Of course a tradesman isn't going to pass on any trade rate. Why would we. That goes to cover all the costs of scourcing the materials and any warranty issues that arise .

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

I paid a carpenter, 300 euros, from 10am to 4pm putting in 5 doors, he still has to do the architraves, locks etc, he worked very hard for that as they heavy fire doors. We thought he was very reasonable and gave him a 50 euros tip. 650 including materials sounds a bit cheap. Banisters sounds a big job, 200 for a days works doesnt sound right. A handy man putting up a few shelves and mirrors is 150 a day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Going by the OP - sounds like he's talking about fixing handrails to a wall either side of the stairs.
    for this - 650 would prob be reasonable.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Going by the OP - sounds like he's talking about fixing handrails to a wall either side of the stairs.
    for this - 650 would prob be reasonable.

It's hard to know what the job entails.
    I think there is a wall either side and a handrail up on both sides then a banister around the landing

Advertisement