Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped

• 09-12-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

My Mam just rang me after getting clamped at the Luas car park.

She had paid her parking but entered 2 digits of her car registration wrongly on the parking machine e.g. her reg is 07D 2335 and she entered 07D 2553.

She has her receipt to prove she paid for parking.

She rang the NCP to explain all of this. They made her pay of course and said she could only appeal after paying. They were obnoxious on the phone to make matters worse.

Has anyone had a similar experience with entering the wrong reg plate and if she will be able to appeal this successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I would suggest buying your mother a bolt cutters for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Yes I live 5 mins from luas red cow and afew times I entered reg wrong and was refunded a week later, tell her not to worry she will get her money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can't do the time don't do the crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Thanks for the responses.

I feel terrible for her as she had brought my sister (who has special needs) out for a rare trip into town to see the Xmas lights and do some shopping. She's not exactly flush to begin with so it was a fairly crap way to end the day. She was left for ages waiting for them to come and release the clamp too, and the fella on the phone was pretty rude when she tried to plead her case.

It's bad form that she actually had to pay up in the first place, since she had her receipt, but reassuring to hear that others have gotten their money back in this situation all the same.

Yeah....she didn't commit any crime but she's doing the time nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah....she didn't commit any crime but she's doing the time nonetheless.

you cant fight city hall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’re pretty zealous st the Red cow luas car park. It’s notorious for clamping, must be a nice money spinner. Does little to encourage public transport really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah, this is where she went wrong.
    She had paid her parking but entered 2 digits of her car registration wrongly on the parking machine e.g. her reg is 07D 2335 and she entered 07D 2553.

She should have put her own reg instead of the wrong one.

This message was brought to you by

1jOO.gif

It's bad form that she actually had to pay up in the first place, since she had her receipt, but reassuring to hear that others have gotten their money back in this situation all the same.

I'd say that's just a logisitics thing to be honest. I'm sure it happens all the time. Tell her not to feel bad. I recently put petrol into my diesel car. We're all eejits at times. Ps the Xmas lights are brilliant, hope they had a good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There was no crime though just a mistake. The bunch of fcukers should have come out to her and sorted it out.it was a genuine mistake which the woman could prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

They’ll reject the appeal but you can take it further and will get your money back.

I had to do the same when I got clamped there after paying for parking and got refunded eventually.

Actually, after I’d been clamped I rang the office and asked could they tell me how long I’d be waiting. Lad asked me to hold, he came back on the line and said “yeah I rang out man and it’ll be about an hour unfortunately”...unbeknownst to the pr!ck the clamping van had just entered the car park and was parked right in front of me....w@nkers.

Those machines are also very finnicky when typing in car registrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was no crime though just a mistake. .

That's what they all say. " that's stuff fell in to my pocket Mr security man". You're fooling no one Capone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There was no crime though just a mistake. The bunch of fcukers should have come out to her and sorted it out.it was a genuine mistake which the woman could prove.

She couldn't prove it unless she could prove she didn't also drive 07D 2553.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd say that's just a logisitics thing to be honest. I'm sure it happens all the time. Tell her not to feel bad. I recently put petrol into my diesel car. We're all eejits at times. Ps the Xmas lights are brilliant, hope they had a good time.

Jaysus, sorry to hear that. I'll let her know :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That's what they all say. " that's stuff fell in to my pocket Mr security man". You're fooling no one Capone.

Stop lad.did she wait around half the day until she found someone with an almost identical reg and beg them for their ticket. The country is gone soft.it says she has a receipt that proves she paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stop lad.did she wait around half the day until she found someone with an almost identical reg and beg them for their ticket. The country is gone soft.it says she has a receipt that proves she paid.

No. Shes clearly much more cunning that that. She has a 2nd set of plates she uses to pull off fraud on a large scale.

This goes deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

More like a con saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ncps clamped me twice in 4 years when it was their fault. First time there was a paper ticket in my window, second time they must have not scanned my reg as I paid for parking on my app weekly and had actual physical proof. I’ve also been clamped by them when it was my own fault. I have paid when it was my fault, but on the two occasions they made the mistake the lady on the phone was insisting that I would have to pay and then appeal. I had read and done my research and it’s a known thing with ncps that they do not issue refunds after appeal. So they essentially immobilized my car and demanded payment when I had complied with parking regulations. So, the first time, it was removed with a consaw.
    The second time, the lock was popped, and the clamp was then clamped to the clamping sign in the carpark, using the same popped lock. Appeal that, fückers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

You posted in the wrong forum for constructive advice OP unfortunately. I'm sure your mum will get her money back, she has the proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

road_high wrote: »
    They’re pretty zealous st the Red cow luas car park. It’s notorious for clamping, must be a nice money spinner. Does little to encourage public transport really

Nothing to do with people taking this piss, despite the low price for 24 hours, of course.

Don't mean the OP obviously.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    You posted in the wrong forum for constructive advice OP unfortunately. I'm sure your mum will get her money back, she has the proof.

Hope you're right BBFAN, but unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if they refused.

We'll see. She submitted the appeal already and received a message saying that they try to process appeals within 21 days. How efficient!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Don't shoot the messenger - when the error goes into the system, it's not always a case of just reversing it easily.

It would be crazy if she didn't get a refund though - she has good grounds to with the receipt. I'd say she'll be fine.

road_high wrote: »
    But, in the highly unlikely event of all of them being due to errors like that of the OP's mother, those clampings are avoidable.

Don't shoot the messenger - when the error goes into the system, it's not always a case of just reversing it easily.

It would be crazy if she didn't get a refund though - she has good grounds to with the receipt. I'd say she'll be fine.

I have to laugh at the excuse "the system wont let me do it" when you ring these places. It's the typical nonsense these companies come out with when they don't want to help you. There's always someone up the line that can override a system. They go on like the computers are controlling them as opposed to the other way around. The idea that the clamper couldnt have just come back, checked her ticket, and taken the clamp off, is ludicrous.

I called about the appeals process. It's gas. You can't actually speak to anyone in NPC about appeals. It's all done online. Of course, when you want to pay a fine you can immediately speak to a real human but not when you want to appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Stop lad.did she wait around half the day until she found someone with an almost identical reg and beg them for their ticket.

Maybe she's having an affair with the owner of car B and they both thought they could pull a fast one.

You have to be on the ball nowadays.

I'm glad they've been caught if I'm honest. Having an affair coming to Christmas is taking the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have to laugh at the excuse "the system wont let me do it" when you ring these places. It's the typical nonsense these companies come out with when they don't want to help you. There's always someone up the line that can override a system. They go on like the computers are controlling them as opposed to the other way around. The idea that the clamper couldnt have just come back, checked her ticket, and taken the clamp off, is ludicrous.

I called about the appeals process. It's gas. You can't actually speak to anyone in NPC about appeals. It's all done online. Of course, when you want to pay a fine you can immediately speak to a real human but not when you want to appeal.
    Are they still charging more if you pay by card

I haven't worked in a clamping place but I have worked in customer service and laugh all you want but what I said is the actual reality. And you actually inadvertently acknowledged the exact problem - yes, someone higher up make the rules/might be able to accelerate things but they're not around. It's the person at the bottom of the heap who takes the calls and they are extremely limited in what they can do. They don't make the rules and can't bend them. Believe me, if they could sort things out there and then, they would. As it would stop abuse or people getting upset on the phones. Despite popular opinion, they don't actually enjoy that. They are just regular folk like you and me, in a sh1t job until they find something better.

I never heard of this but f*ck me that'd be the icing on the cake. She paid by card over the phone and it was 80 euro.

I haven't worked in a clamping place but I have worked in customer service and laugh all you want but what I said is the actual reality. And you actually inadvertently acknowledged the exact problem - yes, someone higher up make the rules/might be able to accelerate things but they're not around. It's the person at the bottom of the heap who takes the calls and they are extremely limited in what they can do. They don't make the rules and can't bend them. Believe me, if they could sort things out there and then, they would. As it would stop abuse or people getting upset on the phones. Despite popular opinion, they don't actually enjoy that. They are just regular folk like you and me, in a sh1t job until they find something better.

I rang about the appeals process and asked to speak to a manager and was told "youre speaking to one" in the most unprofessional, arrogant way you could imagine. This was followed by equally unprofessional smart-arse explanations like "we have to charge you now because Luas makes us do it that way". what utter bollox passing the book to Luas like that.

Either way, if someone down the ladder cant make the call and you demonstrate a legitimate query, they should forward you to a supervisor to be dealt with accordingly. "Computer says no" isnt good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

My Mam just rang me after getting clamped at the Luas car park.

That's the Isuzu, right? Something like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

If you send me her pps number and IBAN, I should be able to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Yeh they charge €5 extra if you want to pay by card. How the fcuk are you meant to drive to an ATM with a clamped car? Assh*les

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I was recently clamped at a train station after a nice Xmas day at the panto! I use park by text and only remembered a few hours later to pay by text,arrrgggh!

As I was doing this I couldn’t find the carpark code, Maybe they’ve gotten some sense and stopped charging people extra to use public transport - WRONG!!!!

the cRpark had actually changed over to a different company, €120 to remove clamp, ouch!!

This train station is 2km outside of a town and unsafe to walk to after dark, I don’t understand why people using public transport are even getting charged to park there never mind the the clamping by a private company.

I hope your mum gets her money back

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Yeh they charge €5 extra if you want to pay by card. How the fcuk are you meant to drive to an ATM with a clamped car? Assh*les

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh

Heat_Wave wrote: »

Every other organization in the world moving towards electronic payments because it's cheaper and more convenient for all concerned, yet clampers penalize it to milk an extra couple of euro out of people!? Says it all.

That's the Isuzu, right? Something like this?

If you send me her pps number and IBAN, I should be able to get it sorted.

What? You've lost me there. What do you want to do with her IBAN , dya need her debit card and pin number too?! I'll PM it to ya sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I run a building supplies business, and had a serious issue with people using the car parking spaces outside while not being a customer of my business. I must say I find clamping to be an extremely satisfying solution to this problem. I get a large amount of pleasure from actually applying and removing the clamp. I also recently upped the release fee from €75 to €150, which should give me a nice bit of spare cash to play with at my annual trip to the Cheltenham festival. It’s an extremely effective way of teaching inconsiderate drivers a valuable lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I run a building supplies business, and had a serious issue with people using the car parking spaces outside while not being a customer of my business. I must say I find clamping to be an extremely satisfying solution to this problem. I get a large amount of pleasure from actually applying and removing the clamp. I also recently upped the release fee from €75 to €150, which should give me a nice bit of spare cash to play with at my annual trip to the Cheltenham festival. It’s an extremely effective way of teaching inconsiderate drivers a valuable lesson.

Good man, Paddy! That must knock that sense of entitlement out of those selfish pricks.

I bet you don’t tell your auld ‘ball and chain’ about that cash? Nothing better than heading to Cheltenham with a good war chest that herself hasn’t a clue about.

How are ya paddy. You're a builders' supplier? I always imagined you'd be doing something more middle class and were a solicitor or something. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. You'll have to give up the Ross O'Carroll Kelly act!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

I'd say the only thing Pintman Paddy Losty ever clamps is his hand around his dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ncps clamped me twice in 4 years when it was their fault. First time there was a paper ticket in my window, second time they must have not scanned my reg as I paid for parking on my app weekly and had actual physical proof. I’ve also been clamped by them when it was my own fault. I have paid when it was my fault, but on the two occasions they made the mistake the lady on the phone was insisting that I would have to pay and then appeal. I had read and done my research and it’s a known thing with ncps that they do not issue refunds after appeal. So they essentially immobilized my car and demanded payment when I had complied with parking regulations. So, the first time, it was removed with a consaw.
    The second time, the lock was popped, and the clamp was then clamped to the clamping sign in the carpark, using the same popped lock. Appeal that,
    fückers

Way to go! Wish there was a post of the week award! Wonderful! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree with you in 99% of cases when talking to someone in customer service. But if you take a job in a clampers "hotline" or whatever the fúck it is, you're going to have to deal with pretty irate customers because your company is extorting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If they won't refund you do a chargeback on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fieldofsheep

This happened to me previously in an Irish Rail car park (transposing 2 digits of the car reg) - had to pay the release fee initially, but when I explained the situation to the clamper he advised me to contact Irish Rail directly, as the clampers were only working on their behalf.

Got in touch with Irish Rail, explained the situation and was able to show how I had been a regular parker there with the correct registration - they got in touch with the clampers and I got the money refunded. Remember that the clampers are only working on someone's behalf - find out who's responsible for the car park and try get in touch with them rather than appealing to the clamping company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

99% of people who are clamped deserve it and I wish there were more of it.

For every genuine story like the OP, there's a 100 ignorant fcukwits with a sense of entitlement.

A short walk through my local town yesterday evening had numerous examples of general parking fcukery including double-yellow line parking, parking at a pelican crossing, partially blocking a footpath etc.

My favorite was the ignorant spazbot who parked with all 4 wheels on the footpath forcing everyone to walk out on the road to get past. What made it particularly galling was the large number of legal parking spaces less than 50 yards away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Yet in another thread you have no problem with people sponging free parking of the backs of others?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ok with criminal activity when it suits I see. ;)

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Yet in another thread you have no problem with people sponging free parking of the backs of others?
    He's obviously just a fella taking the piss..

Far worse are the actual preachy hypocrites.

Graces7 wrote: »

There is! You won it last week when you compared Travellers to the Amish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement