If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth Speaker for Kitchen?

Options
  • 09-12-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Firstly, just want to say "THANK YOU!"...I've had my Hisense TV for 1.5 yrs and my Polk Signa Solo for 1 yr. My brother just bought a Hisense from ye on my recommendation. You've always helped me out, so I need your help one more time.

Request: Girlfriend wants a smart speaker for the kitchen that will double as a decent sound system while cooking/entertaining. I was looking at Echo/Home but don't really like the sound quality. So I figure that buying a google home mini with a decent speaker is the way to go.

I'll probably buy the mini locally, so I need a bluetooth speaker that meets the following:

Budget: Up to 150 euro (delivered)
    Good enough sound quality to fill the kitchen without getting lost/drowned out
    Sonos-type form factor (a small-ish cube is ideal, something that can be placed on a shelf or sill)
    We're not brand snobs, I go with whatever you guys suggest even if I've never previously heard of them (Hisense/Polk)
    Can be paired with a home mini

"Nice to haves": would be something that can handle phone calls and is white

That's it, hope ye have something that fits the bill!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Firstly, just want to say "THANK YOU!"...I've had my Hisense TV for 1.5 yrs and my Polk Signa Solo for 1 yr. My brother just bought a Hisense from ye on my recommendation. You've always helped me out, so I need your help one more time.

Request: Girlfriend wants a smart speaker for the kitchen that will double as a decent sound system while cooking/entertaining. I was looking at Echo/Home but don't really like the sound quality. So I figure that buying a google home mini with a decent speaker is the way to go.

I'll probably buy the mini locally, so I need a bluetooth speaker that meets the following:

Budget: Up to 150 euro (delivered)
    Good enough sound quality to fill the kitchen without getting lost/drowned out
    Sonos-type form factor (a small-ish cube is ideal, something that can be placed on a shelf or sill)
    We're not brand snobs, I go with whatever you guys suggest even if I've never previously heard of them (Hisense/Polk)
    Can be paired with a home mini

"Nice to haves": would be something that can handle phone calls and is white

That's it, hope ye have something that fits the bill!
    Hi Dirk,

thanks for the kind words, you know us so well - Flattery gets you everywhere here ;)

I'm going to bend some of your outlines as there is one outstanding product that I would buy in your place and that's the AUDIO Pro Add ON T3:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201790-audio-pro-addon-t3-white-white-bluetooth-speaker.aspx

It sounds stunning, it's available in White ( with a beautiful leather handle) - ok its not a cube but it is really compact, it's BT 4.0 AND it's portable with a great battery life so you can take it into the garden with you - it does bust the budget slightly at €159 but it's great value in Euro as that includes delivery and the £ price is £149 excl delivery!

Above all it sounds great :)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Thanks John,

Looked at a couple of reviews, looks very good. Some extra Qs:
    • One mentions that it doesn't perform well at low volumes, which would be an issue if just pottering around the kitchen and not entertaining. Can you confirm if that reviewer was correct?
    • If it was a case of spending an extra bit of money to get to a SONOS, would you advise just stretching the bit extra? My friend has a SONOS setup in his kitchen and I love it, which is what I was hoping to emulate on a budget.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks John,

Looked at a couple of reviews, looks very good. Some extra Qs:
    • One mentions that it doesn't perform well at low volumes, which would be an issue if just pottering around the kitchen and not entertaining. Can you confirm if that reviewer was correct?
    • If it was a case of spending an extra bit of money to get to a SONOS, would you advise just stretching the bit extra? My friend has a SONOS setup in his kitchen and I love it, which is what I was hoping to emulate on a budget.

[*]
    Hey DirkVoodoo.

It's OK at low volumes. You are always going to find negative reviews online for pretty much everything ever made unfortunately.
    The Audio Pro products are great value for money and hard to beat on a budget.

Sonos is however the better of the two and the extra is worth it.
    I have a play 1 at home and its great.

Let me know your thoughts.

SONOS Play 1 it is!

SONOS Play 1 it is!

Play 1 does not have BT??

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

No that's fine, on the home network ~ about the same as bluetooth as far as she is concerned, and personally I'd prefer it for the stability/range.

I'll put the order through in the morning.

Thanks John, appreciate your help as always.

Thanks a mill and as ever drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.