Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick tips

• 09-12-2018 10:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved to Limerick for a 2 year contract in the city centre and have a few queries. They are quite a random bunch so even if you can answer one that would be great

1) I'm looking for a reasonably priced one or 2 bed apartment, ideally within 20/25 mins walk of Henry St for me and my partner. Any suggestions of areas?
    2) I'm looking for a GP, ideally with slightly extended opening hours I.e. appointments wither before 9 or after 5
    3) is there a bulk buy/zero waste store? Somewhere to buy dried goods without packaging.
    4) Recommendations for a beautician and good facials
    5) Best pub for a chilled pint of an evening in the city centre
    6) Best coffee?

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s your idea of reasonably priced rent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s your idea of reasonably priced rent?

D'oh. For a 2 bed place I wouldn't particularly want to pay more than €950/1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, a fella I know was in a similar situation a few months ago and anything less than €1k where he was looking (Dooradoyle, Raheen) was a dump.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Have a look at Fitzhaven, SCRd for apartments. They're in or around that price and a short enough walk to henry street. Bar close by, Fennessys is nice.
    Lots of coffee shops in town, one of my favourites is "Story cafe" on Denmark st.
    Can't help you with the beauticians I'm afraid!
    GP wise, I use one near the Crescent SC that does evenings, but not appointments. There's a good few walk in clinics around as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ok, a fella I know was in a similar situation a few months ago and anything less than €1k where he was looking (Dooradoyle, Raheen) was a dump.

Ok, good to know. Might have to have a rethink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Daisies wrote: »
    3) is there a bulk buy/zero waste store? Somewhere to buy dried goods without packaging.
    4) Recommendations for a beautician and good facials
    5) Best pub for a chilled pint of an evening in the city centre
    6) Best coffee?

Thanks for all your help

Welcome to Limerick!

3) the urban food co-op in Eastway Buinsess Park have a large bulk buy/zero waste section. In town, Eats of Eden has a smaller section. The milk market on a Saturday morning is great for stocking up on fruits and veg without packaging.

4) Skin 26 on Catherine Street is the best for facials and beauty stuff.

5) The Commerical on Catherine Street and Tom Collins around the corner are both nice spots for a chilled evening pint.

6) Rift Coffee on mallow street and Canteen on Catherine Street.

panda100 wrote: »
    Welcome to Limerick!

3) the urban food co-op in Eastway Buinsess Park have a large bulk buy/zero waste section. In town, Eats of Eden has a smaller section. The milk market on a Saturday morning is great for stocking up on fruits and veg without packaging.

4) Skin 26 on Catherine Street is the best for facials and beauty stuff.

5) The Commerical on Catherine Street and Tom Collins around the corner are both nice spots for a chilled evening pint.

6) Rift Coffee on mallow street and Canteen on Catherine Street.

Thanks. I've had coffee from Rift and it was good. I've heard about the Milk Market but just wasn't around this weekend to go.

Thanks.for the tips guys. Keep em coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Best coffee - La Cucina on Henry St. especially when Jeannie is on, she works in Harpers coffee, in the milk market, another great place for coffee.

Once you go to the Market you'll fall in love with Limerick and will never want to leave! This will also happen if you go for a drink/dinner in The Curraghower or JJ Bowles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Never...ever...ever...express youre feelings on an Taisce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

dashoonage wrote: »
    Never...ever...ever...express youre feelings on an Taisce

Or even your feelings!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

I’m moving down myself in January from Dublin.
    Where’s the best coffee place near Dooradoyle. Also best place for a pint in the area? It’s close to Collins bar which I know is grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Where’s the best coffee place near Dooradoyle. Also best place for a pint in the area? It’s close to Collins bar which I know is grand

There's not much choice for (good) coffee in Dooradoyle, you have the chains in the Shopping Center, maybe Verona's although I've never been but they're pretty much a cafe/restaurant.

Collins is grand as you say, bit of a super pub vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's not much choice for (good) coffee in Dooradoyle, you have the chains in the Shopping Center, maybe Verona's although I've never been but they're pretty much a cafe/restaurant.

Collins is grand as you say, bit of a super pub vibe.
    Yeah I get that feeling off Collins as well. It reminds me of the Goat in Dublin. Too big nearly. I've been to Verona a few times and thats quite nice alright but yeah its more of a cafe like you say. Missing a trick not having a nice coffee place around with the Hospital and business park close by

Moon Dice wrote: »

Green Yard Cafe at Punches Cross is a lovely spot for coffee. It's a bit closer to town than Dooradoyle. The Milk Thistle in Mungret Park is also nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Milk Market is great on Saturdays for fresh fruit/veg/cheese & Sundays for crafts/art.

Lots of Gallery's & Museums to visit also

Advertisement