Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Prodston:AMA

• 09-12-2018 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Well well well Mr.P.

Finally, what is your obsession with PVA? Did he get a few monster scores for you? How did it come about ? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has it anything to do with sniffing glue? The nitrous oxide hit of the 80s and 90s in small town Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Who is the best attacking LB/RB in the League

and why is it Cedric?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well well well Mr.P.

Finally, what is your obsession with PVA? Did he get a few monster scores for you? How did it come about ? :pac:

It's all well and good asking about PVA, but before him there was another. A less successful FPL asset. A man by the name of Michael Turner. Or Mickey Turner. Or Mickey T.

It's fun to have a cult hero, and he was mine. Not even sure how that started, but for me the FSA was always about having a bit of fun, thrown in with the serious business too. He wasn't very good, but it was fun to champion him, before he returned to the great Championship in the sky, and Ryan Bennett displaced him when Norwich did return to the league.

As for PVA, it was quite simple. He's a fantastically attack minded defender, who was a bargain price in a Sunderland team who would be fighting for their lives once Winter was over.

The kind of player who had the potential to have a monster score in any given week, of course it usually never happened.

Roll on DGW37 and I need a captain. Now I seem to have acquired a reputation as a bit of a left field merchant over the years, and back then I was in my pomp. PVA it was, and he bloody well went and got a clean sheet away to Arsenal and nearly scored too!

12 months later, it's DGW37 again. I need a captain. A Triple Captain in fact. PVA delivered the hat trick of clean sheet, assist and goal while everyone else captained Andy Carroll!

Then of course everyone else caught up last year and he had that bonanza end to the season. Generally speaking he comes alive in Spring, with a few flourishes beforehand, and many price drops due to people's frustration

He's just an exciting player to own. He's fun. And for me that's how I've tried to approach the game over the years.

Has it anything to do with sniffing glue? The nitrous oxide hit of the 80s and 90s in small town Ireland?

I was only just born as the 90's arrived, so aside from the glue in primary school it would have to be a no :pac:

shineon23 wrote: »
    Who is the best attacking LB/RB in the League

and why is it Cedric?

:P

I always think Cedric should score better than he does. I always end up owning him for long periods too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was only just born as the 90's arrived, so aside from the glue in primary school it would have to be a no :pac:

I had you totally imagined as either a mid 50's senior management/company director type who flies by the seat of his pants with his decision making and is loved by all his minions because you are always first and last to the bar buying the drinks at the monthly office night out
    or
    a crusty of similar vintage who spends most of his life on the beach with a metal detector searching for trinkets of undetermined value.

Now I dont know what to believe anymore

Favourite movies ?
    Favourite music ?
    Do you golf ? Or just enjoy watching it as I do see you lurking in the golf forum around major time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rikand wrote: »
    I had you totally imagined as either a mid 50's senior management/company director type who flies by the seat of his pants with his decision making and is loved by all his minions because you are always first and last to the bar buying the drinks at the monthly office night out
    or
    a crusty of similar vintage who spends most of his life on the beach with a metal detector searching for trinkets of undetermined value.

ME TOO

Rikand wrote: »
    or

Sorry to disappoint :pac:

The reality is a little more straightforward. Late 20's trying to save as much as I can to either buy a house or go travelling and push the house a few more years down the line. As for work, I'm clerical/admin in a busy 24 hour department of a hospital.

"Thank God he's not a doctor" is something you're thinking right now :D

Favourite movies ?

I loved "Anchorman" for years, but I've grown out it by now! I actually think coming out seeing "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri" was the most I'd enjoyed seeing a film in a long time. I go rather regularly to the cinema, but I'm not sure I could highlight some over others.

Comedy: Anchorman
    Children's: Up
    RomCom: 500 Days of Summer
    SuperHero: Guardians of the Galaxy

Special Mentions: Drive. Inglorious Basterds. Liam Neeson's recent action hero decade.

I've no doubt forgotten loads, and I guess a lot of those are of my vintage, rather than delving back into the classics.

I'm more of a tv person though.
    Favourite music ?

Not the biggest music head in the world. Light indie/rock and a fondness for classic rock. Due to a lot of commuting to and from work I expose myself to more radio pop than I should.

The Killers. Oasis. Arctic Monkeys. Mumford and Sons. James Vincent McMorrow.

If anyone is ever in the car or listening to the radio on a Sunday evening then Ed Smith's Songs of Praise on Today FM is the closest representation of the music I'd like, if I wasn't too lazy to go and seek it out for myself
    Do you golf ? Or just enjoy watching it as I do see you lurking in the golf forum around major time ;)

No, I never have. Apart from a few rounds of pitch and putt or crazy golf. I reckon in the future I'd like to, but terrified I'd catch the bug.

I guess it was the Ryder Cup in 2006 that woke me up to golf. Sure I knew a little bit, might have seen some of the majors and whatnot. But that was my first time really taking notice of golf. Just watching it on tv.

Then I fell in love with Padraig Harrington, and what a time to do so! He's my favourite Sportsman. From then on it just became a routine to stick on the golf on a Sunday if there was nothing else on, and quickly it became more routine. I just enjoy watching the bigger tournaments. It's a nice way to relax, unless of course Paddy's involved.

Like perhaps many of us here, I'm a bit of a sports nerd. That goes for most sports though, not just soccer. I can't get my head around the sport vs sport rivalry that exists for some. If you don't like something, just let it pass you by.

Growing up I played soccer, rugby, a little GAA, tennis and badminton. Even a little cricket. Then it was just rugby until I finished school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

If you had to be an animal what would it be and why?

Who are your top three most hated FPL assets?

Who do you support?

Where would you go travelling? If you want some unsolicited advice, you’ll be long enough paying off a mortgage. Presumably you’ve a good state job as they say and you could take a sabbatical, it would be madness not to go travelling, you’d always regret it. It’ll be one of the most enjoyable times of your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is your last name actually Prodston?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

John Ruddy - the original Boards fpl cult hero - paved the way for all who followed, didn't he?

Green&Red wrote: »
    If you had to be an animal what would it be and why?

It'd be hard to beat being a pet dog in a nice country home :pac:

I've seen enough David Attenborough documentaries to know that life in the wild, even for the big boys is tough enough.

Maybe a Bird of Paradise? You get to fly and pull off some pretty funky dance moves!

Who are your top three most hated FPL assets?

Oooh that's tough. I'll have to think about that. Actually it's not!

1. Yaya Toure!!!
    2. Aaron Ramsey!
    3. Jamie Vardy!

Those of you who have been around the FSA for a while, will remember the season where Ramsey started on fire and then Yaya picked up his torch and played out of his skin for the rest of it. I did not own either.

Although among the torment, The Anti-Ramsey Brigade was formed. A support group for those of us who didn't own him. And it was one of the most fun times in the forum. As for Yaya, I was on my own :o

Vardy, well you know that time he broke the record for consecutive games scored in? I did't own him then either!
    Who do you support?

Man Utd! So was I a bit of a gloryhunter? Probably. But once they were my team, they were mine. Fergie and the United team of the 90's and 00's were my childhood!

I don't know if it's because of results in recent years, or just a natural decline in interest but I'm not all that fussed anymore. It's all a bit meh.

That's definitely down to Mourinho too. I consciously disengaged when I knew he was taking over. The man's a bully and is no longer tactically relevant. I watch now for the running soap-opera, not the football.
    Where would you go travelling? If you want some unsolicited advice, you’ll be long enough paying off a mortgage. Presumably you’ve a good state job as they say and you could take a sabbatical, it would be madness not to go travelling, you’d always regret it. It’ll be one of the most enjoyable times of your life

I did Southeast Asia a few years ago. It's actually how I first came to sign up on boards, to ask a question in the travel forum.

South America, and Patagonia in particular are the dream. But anywhere that's interesting. I'm happy to give it a few years though, maybe learn a little Spanish, find a partner who'd like to join me. All of that's a work in progress!

I'm in no rush to jump into a mortgage either. I studied Economics as part of my undergrad, and well I might be as well off just waiting for the next crash now!

Is your last name actually Prodston?

No - although the "ston" part is the later half of it! It was just something a guy in college I lived with for a while called me, and when I needed a username, it popped into my head.

In saying that, I don't know that I'd choose anything different now, if it came to it!

manual_man wrote: »
    John Ruddy - the original Boards fpl cult hero - paved the way for all who followed, didn't he?

John Ruddy was too mainstream to be a cult hero of the Norwich defence. What we needed was a man who was cheaper and carried a goal threat. In fact Mark Bunn was a better performing Norwich keeper for me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Where did your username come from?

What drove you from the Modship? Were the coke and hookers substandard?

Do you have a favourite FPL team name - yours or someone else's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

John Ruddy was too mainstream to be a cult hero of the Norwich defence. What we needed was a man who was cheaper and carried a goal threat. In fact Mark Bunn was a better performing Norwich keeper for me :P

:mad:

20292585833_2b5df81809.jpg

:pac:

Where did your username come from?

I sort of answered it above - the ston is the end of my surname.

The Prod (well let's not get too sectarian here) but I was raised......Protestant :eek::eek::eek::pac: although I'm agnostic/atheist if anyone's interested. Compared to the North it's really not an issue down here, and generally speaking I'm the first to poke fun at it whenever anyone finds out.

So a friend combined the Prod and the Ston, and it popped into my head when I needed a username
    What drove you from the Modship? Were the coke and hookers substandard?

Truthfully, I was reluctant to accept it in the first place. I only did it because FutureGuy asked, and I have so much respect for him, that I said I'd give it a go. But I didn't enjoy it, at all. I felt I was too close to everyone in the forum and poacher turned gamekeeper didn't sit well with me.

In fact if anyone bothered to check they'd probably notice my volume of posts went down soon afterwards. I came to the FSA to have a bit of fun with friends I'd made here. Not to add an extra layer of stress. It was around the time of my Masters too and didn't need that, when I came in to escape for a while.

I think the FSA was a better place for almost everyone when I wasn't a mod.

I guess I was curious about the coke and hookers and to see the other side, but once that mystery was uncovered (
    there's no mystery it's mostly boring admin
    ) I knew it wasn't the role for me. The place was a bit more tetchy at times then too and you'd spend your time wondering if/when you'd have to intervene.

Fair play to all that do. I probably overthought the whole thing - shocking I know? :pac:

I did get a sweet Mickey Turner Avatar for free because of it though!
    Do you have a favourite FPL team name - yours or someone else's?

Not really - every so often you see a good one, but then everyone else does and then it's so common it's hard to enjoy it as much. I do love a good pun though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

As a member of the anti ramsey brigade I cant say I looked back at that time with much joy. What are your 3 favourite fpl moments and your favourite fsa moment.

As a member of the anti ramsey brigade I cant say I looked back at that time with much joy. What are your 3 favourite fpl moments and your favourite fsa moment.

At least we had each other though, eh?

FPL Moments:

1. PVA DGW37 TC 51 points
    2. PVA DGW37 C - clean sheet away to Arsenal
    3. Aguero scoring 5 against Newcastle

FSA Moment:

KevIRL's Downfall video :D I do miss Roryc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I sort of answered it above - the ston is the end of my surname.

The Prod (well let's not get too sectarian here) but I was raised......Protestant :eek::eek::eek::pac: although I'm agnostic/atheist if anyone's interested. Compared to the North it's really not an issue down here, and generally speaking I'm the first to poke fun at it whenever anyone finds out.

No worries about that here - my wife, of the same persuasion as yourself - was mad keen to find out if there was a link.

Yes, you're so famous my wife knows who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If you were in control of fpl for a season what would you change? Would you change it to a squad where you picked 14 players plus the compulsory PVA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

What happened the amazing poems and songs ?

Are you the fpl poet on twitter if your not you should be!

No worries about that here - my wife, of the same persuasion as yourself - was mad keen to find out if there was a link.

Yes, you're so famous my wife knows who you are.

Is this what it's like to be famous?

jimmii wrote: »
    If you were in control of fpl for a season what would you change? Would you change it to a squad where you picked 14 players plus the compulsory PVA?

No I'd make it so that nobody else could own him :pac:

I liked it better when I knew what an assist was. Just make it so that it was the last player who touched the ball no matter what their intention was.

kilburn wrote: »
    What happened the amazing poems and songs ?

Are you the fpl poet on twitter if your not you should be!

I'm not aware of the FPL Poet actually, I'll have to check that out!

But I guess I just have less time really, and I've found myself a little disillusioned with the game for the last year or two. The bad weeks don't hurt as much, the good weeks are still great but, are more seldom.

The place has changed in recent years, or at least the personnel has a little. I've found that I've been posting less in general. I still love the place but I just haven't been connecting with the game as much, and I guess that shows in my activity here.

Maybe I'm maturing a little too!

But I'm sure its not the end of those posts from me either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What are you having for breakfast?

I'm having some Siggy toast with a Seamie OG missed peno on top.

ARB was peak fpl for me. Thanks for the memories. I'm not sure about the poet, but I wrote the odd sonnet, back when I was on it.

Favourite whiskey? I should remember but the years have caught up on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

At least we had each other though, eh?

FPL Moments:

1. PVA DGW37 TC 51 points
    2. PVA DGW37 C - clean sheet away to Arsenal
    3. Aguero scoring 5 against Newcastle

FSA Moment:

KevIRL's Downfall video :D I do miss Roryc!

Rory doing fine and dandy for himself this season with an OR of 834

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No I'd make it so that nobody else could own him :pac:

I liked it better when I knew what an assist was. Just make it so that it was the last player who touched the ball no matter what their intention was.

Do you prefer the simpler days before chips too? So much has changed in the game since the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Do you play the Draft as well? if so what do you reckon? Didn't even bother myself this year, just found it too frustrating

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    What are you having for breakfast?

I'm having some Siggy toast with a Seamie OG missed peno on top.

Porridge

Method:
    1. A 2:1 ratio of boiling water to jumbo porridge oats, add in a shake of mixed spice, cinnamon and sultanas and leave to soak overnight.
    2. Add a dash of milk in the morning.
    3. Mix well.
    4. Heat

Et voila, Porridge a la Prodston!
    ARB was peak fpl for me. Thanks for the memories. I'm not sure about the poet, but I wrote the odd sonnet, back when I was on it.

We had a good thing going back then. It was actually sad when Ramsey's points dried up. But all the sweeter when we bought him at the end of the season when nobody would touch him and he had a few good weeks again. Good times :)
    Favourite whiskey? I should remember but the years have caught up on me.

Hard to beat a classic in Jameson. My whiskey drinking hasn't been the same since those days :pac:

Advertisement