Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career break in year 1 of CID

Options
  • 10-12-2018 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Good morning!

I am currently in my second year of a fixed-term contract at my school and, therefore, I expect and hope that I will be entitled to a CID at the end of this year.

However, an opportunity has come up for me on the other side of the country that I would love to take up, for one year, before returning to my current job in my current school (ideally).

My question is whether I would be entitled to apply for a career break to cover the first year of my CID. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm just not sure what to do, as I would be applying for a career break for a contract that I wouldn't have signed yet.

I am in my dream job, in my dream school currently, and so am looking for any way to be able to come back to this job.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Aquals wrote: »
    Good morning!

I am currently in my second year of a fixed-term contract at my school and, therefore, I expect and hope that I will be entitled to a CID at the end of this year.

However, an opportunity has come up for me on the other side of the country that I would love to take up, for one year, before returning to my current job in my current school (ideally).

My question is whether I would be entitled to apply for a career break to cover the first year of my CID. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm just not sure what to do, as I would be applying for a career break for a contract that I wouldn't have signed yet.

I am in my dream job, in my dream school currently, and so am looking for any way to be able to come back to this job.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but to qualify for a CID - you must have two years continuous service (which you will have) and start the third year i.e. two years and one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can't apply for a career break for a non-existent CID>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

A girl I worked with is currently on career break. This was Year 2 of her fixed term contract. She subbed a sick leave for the last 6 weeks of 2016/17. She was fixed term for 2017/18. She sucessfully reinterviewed for the second fixed term contract for 2018/19 but was also granted a career break for the year. You don't need CID to be granted a career break.

Advertisement