Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for plugs, bulbs and cameras

Options
  • 10-12-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Ive been reading a lot of the posts here on various bulb packages and by all accounts Hue seems to be what I should be using. Although I was in Ikea at the weekend ands they have standalone bulbs which are pretty inexpensive. I'm looking to get a few pieces for xmas but would like to keep everything the same so want to be sure I start right. I'm looking to connect them to a google mini as well as control by an app. I wasn't planning on using switches.

Secondly, would anyone recommended a smartplug to be used in a kids room. I guess compatible with the lights above in case we go down the route of adding bulbs at a later stage. Plugs seem to be the best option for bedside lights rather than bulbs given the cost?

Are there outdoor sensors you can get that don't requires mains power that I could add on or what would people recommend? Was hoping not to have to wire items for power.

Finally, both an indoor and outdoor camera that can be used on a phone. I'm inclined to put the camera at the widow facing out which would make installation and power easier. Anything I should watch out for. Ideally it would show live feeds but do need to record somewhere even if it wipes and records over every 30 days. So open to cloud or SD card. I've seen Nest recommended but not sure if that the most suitable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I think if you are looking at bulbs/smart lighting then Hue is probably the best system on the market but there is a cost involved with it and why it is worth watching for deals as sets can regularly be picked up at half price. You could pick up a starter pack and also add the Ikea bulbs to keep costs down, the Ikea bulbs will pair with the Hue hub.

Although you aren't planning on using switches one or two hue switches do come in handy and can be placed anywhere.

I think in terms of the kids room it would be better sticking with the bulbs imo as this will give you the option to dim lights which the plugs won't, useful at night when you don't want a light at full brightness when trying to get them off to sleep.

Don't have any sensors outdoors but I think a few here have used them outside fitted in a sheltered spot.

It terms of camera, putting one in a window facing out isn't ideal if you need to use ir as this will just reflect off the glass and you won't see anything so unless you are in a well lit area and can turn off ir then you will need to mount outside. Can you get power to outside or can run a network cable for poe or will you need to go wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Thanks for the response.

Ok good to know that the IKEA bulbs will work with the Hue system. However, maybe I'm missing something but why then purchase the more expensive Philips bulbs if the Ikea one do the same (or is it down to quality, lifespan reliability?).

The switches - Why invest in these? Is it that the normal existing switches won't let you control the Hue bulbs?

On the camera - yes I thought reflection might be an issue. Power cable is the challenge although getting a cable from the router to the camera would be difficult too so wireless is my preference for connectivity. I'll have to rethink this piece. If i put another router in the attic to extend the signal from the base station could I run a cable from that attic router to the camera. That would be an easier wiring job. I just just need to figure out how to get power in the attic. (thinking out-loud)

THE ALM wrote: »
    I think if you are looking at bulbs/smart lighting then Hue is probably the best system on the market but there is a cost involved with it and why it is worth watching for deals as sets can regularly be picked up at half price. You could pick up a starter pack and also add the Ikea bulbs to keep costs down, the Ikea bulbs will pair with the Hue hub.

Although you aren't planning on using switches one or two hue switches do come in handy and can be placed anywhere.

I think in terms of the kids room it would be better sticking with the bulbs imo as this will give you the option to dim lights which the plugs won't, useful at night when you don't want a light at full brightness when trying to get them off to sleep.

Don't have any sensors outdoors but I think a few here have used them outside fitted in a sheltered spot.

It terms of camera, putting one in a window facing out isn't ideal if you need to use ir as this will just reflect off the glass and you won't see anything so unless you are in a well lit area and can turn off ir then you will need to mount outside. Can you get power to outside or can run a network cable for poe or will you need to go wireless?

Thanks for the response.

Ok good to know that the IKEA bulbs will work with the Hue system. However, maybe I'm missing something but why then purchase the more expensive Philips bulbs if the Ikea one do the same (or is it down to quality, lifespan reliability?).

The switches - Why invest in these? Is it that the normal existing switches won't let you control the Hue bulbs?

On the camera - yes I thought reflection might be an issue. Power cable is the challenge although getting a cable from the router to the camera would be difficult too so wireless is my preference for connectivity. I'll have to rethink this piece. If i put another router in the attic to extend the signal from the base station could I run a cable from that attic router to the camera. That would be an easier wiring job. I just just need to figure out how to get power in the attic. (thinking out-loud)

Can't speak for the Ikea bulbs as I haven't seen or used them so they well may do the job for you, reading through the Hue thread it would appear some have gotten the Ikea bulbs only to invest in Hue.

Switches - With any of these bulbs you need to leave the light switch on so that the bulb is always getting power otherwise it will not work through the app or by voice command through the likes of google or alexa this is why the wireless switches come in useful. IMO this is one of the main issues starting out with these bulbs as you will, involuntarily, just switch off the light when leaving a room (i still do it occasionally). We actually rarely use any switches as most light are triggered now by motion sensors and set to go off after a certain amount of time. I see Tesco are now doing a switch/bulb combo set which can actually be used without a hub so may be a good way of getting started. A hub may be picked up cheaply enough as a lot of people end up buying starter packs on sale and have spare hubs they don't use, you could ask here on look on adverts.ie and the like.

Camera - If you are looking at adding anything in the attic then a poe switch would be a better option. This would give you a number of poe ports and you could add several cameras. You would need a network cable back to the main router and power in the attic for this but then only need to run a network cable to the camera points, this is how I have set up cameras.

Edit: This is assuming the attic is suitable for electrical equipment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Smart bulbs need to be powered all the time and the smart control turns the light part on and off. If you turn them off at the switch then they cant be turned on by smart controls.

If your schedule is fairly standard then you can set the light to come on and go off at set times through the app so you may get away without having any wireless switches. They can also be triggered to turn on when you arrive home through the app also with geofencing enabled.

I think when you go down any smart home route it takes a bit of rethinking of how you use things and makes you more aware of how you are using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Thanks, this is all good info. I'll have a rethink about how best to set this up and will take a look the tesco option. Might just get a few to test out first and then see how best to move forward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Look at the ways to consolidate and control all the things you want like HomeKit, Google Home, SmartThings and various other software. Deciding on one og those might narrow down things a bit for you.

Just posted this on the bargains thread but these might be of interest if you are looking at cameras https://blinkforhome.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One thing to note if you go for Hue hub and IKEA bulbs - the colour map for colour bulbs is sufficiently different to be very annoying and make it impossible to mix them in a room/scene

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

If you have a google home then you don't have to worry about buying all of the same kind, you can buy ones that are compatible with google home and control all through the home app rather than the manufacturers one. Just watch out for different hub requirements.

I have the ikea hub and about 12 bulbs and 2 of their sockets/plugs all work fine through the home app or on schedule. I have the christmas tree and outside lights on the plugs, both plugs are indoors though.

Theres a ring camera with flood lights which might be good for outdoor, it records to cloud so a subscription would be needed, connects over wifi so just need a cable for mains power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement