Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to work after Mat Leave - Change Roles?

• 10-12-2018 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Afternoon. I'm planning to return to work in the New Year following first Mat Leave. I'm interested in people's experiences in returning - did you go back to the same role or a new role?

I have an opportunity to change roles and start something new and interesting but conscious that it's probably going to be a turbulent time - creche, sickness, emotions etc...! If I don't, I'll probably do it later next year but just weighing up whether it would be better to take the plunge after so long out.

Any experiences / war stories to share :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I've gone back to a completely new job and new company, twice.
    It has it's ups and downs-definitley better to be changing job within the company, where you stand a chance of being known and have a history, so if you have to leave early or whatever, it works better.
    It's doable, I suppose it is really down to personal circumstances in your company, how you feel about it.Like anything, it can be done, I wouldn't rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

shesty wrote: »
    I've gone back to a completely new job and new company, twice.
    It has it's ups and downs-definitley better to be changing job within the company, where you stand a chance of being known and have a history, so if you have to leave early or whatever, it works better.
    It's doable, I suppose it is really down to personal circumstances in your company, how you feel about it.Like anything, it can be done, I wouldn't rule it out.

Thank you. I know it's totally individual. It would be changing to a new role within my company vs. a new job entirely. Just not sure if adding another complication is necessary when trying to bed down into new a routine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

To be honest, if you can wait a few months, do. I have a one year old and am back to work the past 6 months. I returned to the same job and I felt like I lost so much confidence during my maternity leave that I was re- learning just how to exist in that professional world for the first few months. I could do the job with my eyes closed before! There will be so much going on for your family during that time like trying to manage dinners, laundry, running your house and for the baby with new experiences like feeding, childminders, bedtime routines, developmental changes etc. The ease of stepping back into the familiar cannot be underestimated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Thank you. I know it's totally individual. It would be changing to a new role within my company vs. a new job entirely. Just not sure if adding another complication is necessary when trying to bed down into new a routine

Yes, I mean I suppose what I am confusedly trying to say is that I wouldn't pass up an opportunity if it has arisen and you want to take it- it can be done.I mean it's a tough couple of months and then that's kind of it.As regards getting your brain up and running, I actually found changing job to be no odds in that sense, because you are clueless in a new role (well I was) and clueless coming back, so...you might as well be im a new role, if that makes sense!!It's more the whole thing of maybe having to take time off at short notice with creche illnesses, and sorting out pick ups and drop offs, can be tricky when trying to prove yourself in a new role.In that sense, it is easier to be in your own company.However it can be done as I said, and if it is unlikely to come your way again, then yes, I'd strongly consider going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m back about a month and went back to a new role in the same team. It’s not very different to my old role. I found it good because you do have some leeway in terms of ramping back up. Nobody expected me to know everything straight away but would have if I went back to the old role. I was able to set the expectations around hours as well. Overtime (unpaid) is considered the norm in my team but I was able to be very clear around the fact that I have to be gone by 4.30 every day but I’d be in early. If I went back to the old role I’d say they would have expected me to work the same crazy hours.

I suppose I had the best of both worlds because I got to go back to a new role but it was still in the same team working with similar systems etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Went back to the same role after #1, started a new role after #2. Felt a bit "mammy-tracked" when I went back after my first, I feel much more respected as a professional who happens to have two children in my current job. I'm a software developer, so a very male dominated field.

Advertisement