Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Abuse from Moderator via PM

Options
  • 10-12-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I was given a one day ban and accused of trolling the Brexit thread because I was simply debating Brexit from a pro-Brexit point of view. I did not insult or denigrate anyone there. Instead I receive a PM which was very abusive towards myself with foul language from the moderator and banned me from the forum. Is it a case if you don't tie the liberal line you are fair game for such abuse?

I did not reply to the moderator in question and quiet frankly the persons suitability to do that role should be examined for the vitriolic way he messaged me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you please report the PM you received. This can be done by clicking on the exclamation symbol to the top right of the message.

Are you disputing the ban? If so, we will discuss here. If you are not disputing the ban, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was debating the EU and putting forward arguments why Brexit is positive and the dangers of the EU, it seems that my point of view would not be tolerated by this moderator and instead he banned me, personally abused me and then threatened me with a permanent ban. So yes I believe my one day ban is unnecessary. Members there were actually enjoying my contribution to the lively brexit debate.

Thank you for reporting the PM as requested. I have reviewed it and I do not find it to be “vitriolic” or “very abusive”. The mod has stated you were “acting the bollox” which is a common phrase for troublemaking.

In terms of your dealing with your ban dispute, I would normally ask you to attempt to contact the mod in an effort to work it out amongst yourselves. Are you willing to do that?

dudara wrote: »
    Thank you for reporting the PM as requested. I have reviewed it and I do not find it to be “vitriolic” or “very abusive”. The mod has stated you were “acting the bollox” which is a common phrase for troublemaking.

In terms of your dealing with your ban dispute, I would normally ask you to attempt to contact the mod in an effort to work it out amongst yourselves. Are you willing to do that?

I am unwilling to have any contact with the individual and that sort of wording is pure thrash talk and I don't lower myself to that. I would like yourself to act as an intermediary and I did not not abuse anyone or cause any problem other than I had a different viewpoint.

Very well. Please note that there are no intermediaries here, we expect adults to interact like adults.

I will proceed to the next step in the Dispute process which is to ask a CMod to review your postings and the actions that led to the ban. Please bear with us while a CMod picks this up.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi there TheGuzMan,

I'll be reviewing this - can you forward on the pm exchange you had with the mod and also link to the thread where this occured so I can review?

Thanks
    Neyite

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi theguzman,

You've forwarded me on the ban message but I'm not seeing where you are stating your reasons for overturning the ban. Dudara has already made a decision regarding the use of the word 'bollox' so it's not relevant here - my role is to look at the ban itself, and whether or not the reasons for it are valid.

Why do you think that the ban should be overturned?

I was accused of trolling which I was not, rather my dissenting opinion in favour of brexit was used as an excuse to ban me and personally abuse me with the words bollox. Does this set a precedent so and I can just call whoever I like who doesn't agree with me a "bollox"? Because in normal society this not acceptable by any means.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be clear the mod was referring to your actions/behaviour rather than you personally. That is very apparent from the quote above by dudara
    dudara wrote: »
    “acting the bollox” which is a common phrase for troublemaking.

Please drop the point as you will get nowhere with it on this site

theguzman wrote: »
    I was accused of trolling which I was not, rather my dissenting opinion in favour of brexit was used as an excuse to ban me ...

This is the part that I can deal with.

The Politics Charter requires the following from posters in that forum:

"When offering an opinion, please state so. Every poster is entitled to their opinion - whether it is ill-informed or not. Please do not present an opinion as "fact" - it only leads to flaming and a poster/moderator may demand further evidence. When offering fact, please offer relevant linkage, or at least source. If you do not do this upon posting, then please be willing to do so on request."

You were asked several times in that thread to back up your statements or to offer something to support them and didn't do that. It's a discussion forum so failing to abide by the charter, and pertinent to your dispute, this particular section, it was a clear charter breach. Therefore I'm upholding the ban.

You may escalate this to an admin if you want to appeal my decision.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement