Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic the Hedgehog - Live Action.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This has an unwanted Space Jam vibe. Live action humans interacting with a cartoon character.

Paddington (bless!) at least looked like a real bear in a duffel coat and hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Surprisingly doesn't look terrible.

I'd say it'll at least get some money from the kids market

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film looks impossibly awful (much like most post Megadrive Sonic) but the gratuitous, bizarre use of Gangsta’s Paradise is the trailer’s most heinous crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

bizarre use of Gangsta’s Paradise

At first I thought they were gonna go somewhere with it.. but then it just felt more and more out of place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Slydice wrote:
    At first I thought they were gonna go somewhere with it.. but then it just felt more and more out of place.

Yup, was really out of place. Like others here, if that's the best parts, this is going to be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It cannot be as bad as the emoji film.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It cannot be as bad as the emoji film.

Careful, don't want to set too high a bar before the movie's even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

The film looks impossibly awful (much like most post Megadrive Sonic) but the gratuitous, bizarre use of Gangsta’s Paradise is the trailer’s most heinous crime.

They should have stuck with the classic trailer song of "Who let the dogs out?".

Or even better "Who let the hogs out?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

"Every hero has a Genesis"!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Jebus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I honestly think that's one of the worst trailers I've ever seen. The youtube comments are hilarious though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

BrookieD wrote: »
    "Every hero has a Genesis"!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Jebus

International Trailer :"Every Hero has a MegaDrive"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

On seeing that trailer
    MPbX6OD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

People got paid to make sonic look that horrendous...

A bunch of people sat around a conference table and decided, yes. That looks great....

This abomination of uncanny valley bull**** looks like the grinch had a blue kid that got turned into a monkey for cheating during a game of Jumanji.

Everything else I genuinely think looks ok, some parts even impressive BUT Sonic himself? I mean... seriously what is that grotesque blue thing. I honestly cannot get over how unnatural and ‘wrong’ he looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

That's the stuff of nightmares.

I'd actually prefer if they'd dyed a real hedgehog blue and flung it about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my son was showing me some fan art that improved the look of the character, the makers seem to be setting up the love to hate movie of 2019

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

silverharp wrote: »
    my son was showing me some fan art that improved the look of the character, the makers seem to be setting up the love to hate movie of 2019

Something like these?:
    479237.jpg
    479238.jpg

Source
    Source
    It seems like they are making him an alien (in the trailer he says something about saving their planet) so it's weird that they feel the need to change his design all that much.

the second one looks familiar, junior pointed out that the eyes are wrong, missing the white connection between the 2 eyes and it was bugging people.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guarantee in the Creative Dept, there is a slew of original concept art that kept close to the games' original design, but the executives 'Poochie'd it, worried about how obviously unrealistic Sonic actually comes off. It just looks like they didn't want something TOO cartoony, but ended up with a Sonic trapped somewhere in the uncanny valley...

pixelburp wrote: »
    I guarantee in the Creative Dept, there is a slew of original concept art that kept close to the games' original design, but the executives 'Poochie'd it, worried about how obviously unrealistic Sonic actually comes off. It just looks like they didn't want something TOO cartoony, but ended up with a Sonic trapped somewhere in the uncanny valley...

I was just thinking that Who framed Roger Rabbit was such a flop :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Trailer looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere but someone compared the new sonic to the rat type thing from Jumanji
    D5aIjGiXsAAmcdf.jpg:small

Or there's the inevitable spin off, "Tails".
    D5aDrzGWkAEJ_DF.jpg:small

Edit: I see someone posted that image above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Looks like the film that Jim Carey deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

p to the e wrote: »
    I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere but someone compared the new sonic to the rat type thing from Jumanji
    D5aIjGiXsAAmcdf.jpg:small

Or there's the inevitable spin off, "Tails".
    D5aDrzGWkAEJ_DF.jpg:small

Edit: I see someone posted that image above

Boom boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sonic is an extra-terrestrial. Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yikes. I wonder if this will push back the release date?

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

• Mr E wrote: »
    Yikes. I wonder if this will push back the release date?

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

That's great news tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Feel sorry for the poor souls who toil in those render farms; if they're redoing the FX, it'll mean starting from scratch for the same deadline.

And of course the box office projections now must take the refit into account

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I assume it's just a re-render with a new 3D model? All the backgrounds, keyframes, dialogue etc. will still be the same.
    I think 95% of the work will be done by a server farm.

• Advertisement

Spoken like a true manager ;) "Sure it's just a re-render, swap out the model, break for lunch" :D

Advertisement