Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artane direction - Maynooth

Options
  • 10-12-2018 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Looking into it, I know its 1:30 or so. What's the best direction to take. I'm seeing the Royal Canal seems to go nearly all the way out. Is it safe in parts? I remember people here where having problems with scummers at certain sections, what's the safest route out would people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Out through the park, then Lucan, Leixlip and Maynooth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Could also go towards Ballycoolin, Mulhuddart, Clonee, Dunboyne and on to Maynooth

Weepsie wrote: »
    Could also go towards Ballycoolin, Mulhuddart, Clonee, Dunboyne and on to Maynooth

The park is nicer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Borderfox wrote: »
    Out through the park, then Lucan, Leixlip and Maynooth

That doesn't sound to bad. Would you be able to show on a map for me? How long would it take, I would cycle at a moderate pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Weepsie wrote: »

Thanks, however I drive them backroads and I have seen cyclists on the backroads around Dunboyne coming into Maynooth, nerves of steel if you ask me! Don't think that route would be for me.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    That doesn't sound to bad. Would you be able to show on a map for me? How long would it take, I would cycle at a moderate pace.

Hopefully this comes out ok, its down at 32.5km and should take 1:30 or 2:00 maximum
    https://goo.gl/maps/CmbHondcEJr

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Thanks, however I drive them backroads and I have seen cyclists on the backroads around Dunboyne coming into Maynooth, nerves of steel if you ask me! Don't think that route would be for me.

I cycle that route 2/3 times a week - and honestly it is not too bad.Just make sure you are well lit etc even in the daylight. There are a couple of stretches where it is difficult for cars to pass, so it's generally better to pull in and let them pass before those bits if you know there are a couple behind you. Other thing to be mindful of is that you'll often encounter tractors or lorries with trailers on their way to/from Kepak. Again, if there is oncoming traffic and they can't overtake it's usually better just to pull in and let them through rather than risk the wrath of drivers stuck behind a bike and a tractor.

The only really dodgy bit is if you are taking the right turn after Carton House that brings you down the back road to the back of Maynooth. During the day it's grand, but when it's dark it's just too dangerous. Better to follow the main road around the side of Carton and take a right at the top which brings you out near Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I remember people here where having problems with scummers at certain sections, what's the safest route out would people think?

The scummers are generally south siders on the Grand Canal rather than the Royal Canal.

I've had problems on the Royal Canal but that was 15-20 years ago. I wouldn't cycle it late in the darker evening though.

Advertisement