Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo switch Joycon Warranty

Options
  • 10-12-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭

Is there a mandatory 2 year warranty for consoles? I Got the switch 13 months ago, does the joycon just have 1 year or does it fall under the some EU 2 year warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The EU 2 year rule does not apply in Ireland as we have strong consumer rights. If you have a problem with the console, you should contact the retailer where you purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

dudara wrote: »
    The EU 2 year rule does not apply in Ireland as we have strong consumer rights. If you have a problem with the console, you should contact the retailer where you purchased it.

The reason I was looking for the name of the legislation i had to quote was because when i went in to the retailer where I purchased the seller said they have a 3 month warranty and no more. I know this to be false. I was then told to contact head office because he didn't know of any such rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A warranty is additional to your consumer rights and can never replace or override your consumer rights. It can supplement them. Just because the warranty period has expired doesn’t mean you don’t have consumer rights.

You’re basically talking about the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act. This entitles you to expect goods to last a reasonable lifetime (depends obviously on the particular product). In this case, it seems like you’re entitled to one of the following, a refund, replacement or repair.

I’d expect better from a chain. I’d try once more in the shop and if that’s not successful, then write a registered letter to the Head Office. In the letter, outline your issue and request that they resolve the matter within 10 working days. If not, take them to the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Had a joycon fault also back in September, went back to the shop (Argos) they phone the Nintendo UK support line & I registered the fault with them over the phone. Nintendo sent the postage labels & instructions on how to package the switch console & joycons. Updated everyday by email on the progress of the repair & checking the whole unit. All sent back perfect. Could not fault the service was excellent. In all about 7 days from posting off.

Also no charges at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

medic112 wrote: »
    Had a joycon fault also back in September, went back to the shop (Argos) they phone the Nintendo UK support line & I registered the fault with them over the phone. Nintendo sent the postage labels & instructions on how to package the switch console & joycons. Updated everyday by email on the progress of the repair & checking the whole unit. All sent back perfect. Could not fault the service was excellent. In all about 7 days from posting off.

Also no charges at all.

First thing i tried having set it up but was told we dont repair

• Advertisement
Advertisement