Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling off period

Options
  • 10-12-2018 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

I recently cancelled my Sky package. I gave 31 days notice as required and I was due to be cut off around the 20th of this month.

I received an email with an offer from a Sky on Friday. I followed the link in the email and accepted the offer. I wasn’t told what my new monthly cost would be. I had to wait until the next day when my account updated to see what the monthly cost would be.

After seeing the new price and thinking about it I decided I didn’t want to take the offer and would prefer to continue with the original cancellation.

I got on to chat to inform them but they said they couldn’t help and I would need to call loyalty (even though the T&Cs state cancelling during the cooling off period doesn’t need to be done through a phone call). I found a way to message though my online account and had a phone call with a rep from loyalty today. He seemed to think the 31 days notice starts again. I explained my understanding of reading the T&Cs in the offer email meant I could continue with my original cancellation. He wasn’t sure but could see where I was coming from. He’d have to get back to me.

Anyway he got back to me a few hours later and said I have to give a new 31 days notice.

I’m wondering is this right. The email states:
    This offer will not alter the terms set out in your original contract with Sky other than as specifically set out herein.

If you decide that you no longer wish to keep any of the offers set out at the start of this notice, you need to let us know any time within 14 days from when the offer is applied ("cooling off period"). If you do this we can normally put you back in the same position you were before you accepted this offer. As you agreed to your services continuing to be provided during this period you will need to pay us an amount which is proportionate to the service provided up to the point you have told us you no longer wish to take this offer. After your cooling off period, to end your TV contract you'll need to give us 31 days' notice which cannot end before your new minimum term finishes

My understanding of this is that my original cancellation date should still be valid.

What do others think? Sorry for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I read it as you submitted a cancelation request but before you were no longer a customer you signed up for another package. That sounds like you never left so how can you use the cooling off period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You never left them, so I can't see any cooling off period being valid. Ill confused though as to why you clicked on an email and accepted a deal which you didn't know the cost off, all while in the process of leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Thanks for the replies.
    You never left them, so I can't see any cooling off period being valid. Ill confused though as to why you clicked on an email and accepted a deal which you didn't know the cost off, all while in the process of leaving them.

I was tempted by the offer. Clicked on accept expecting a break down of the new charges and the email stated there was a cooling off period.
    If you decide that you no longer wish to keep any of the offers set out at the start of this notice, you need to let us know any time within 14 days from when the offer is applied ("cooling off period").

And then it mentions going back to the position I was in before. Which I read as having given notice to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thanks for the replies.

I was tempted by the offer. Clicked on accept expecting a break down of the new charges and the email stated there was a cooling off period.

And then it mentions going back to the position I was in before. Which I read as having given notice to cancel

How were you tempted by an offer that you did not know the cost of?

How were you tempted by an offer that you did not know the cost of?

The offer said 35% off my TV package so I had a rough idea of the cost. After checking the next day once my account updated it wasn’t off the whole TV package as advertised, some parts where still full price.

And as I mentioned I expected a breakdown on charges before committing to a new 12 month contract. I clicked the link and that was it. Just confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

I agree with the op.

OP canceled with a valid cancelation notice on Dec 1st (example)

Sky as usual, try to keep op.

They send new offer and part of that offer is that it is a new 12 Month contract and 14 day cooling off period applies (as stated)

OP takes option of cooling off period and should revert back as if the new contract did not exist.

Therefore the original 31 day notice period stays in force.

I agree with the op.

OP canceled with a valid cancelation notice on Dec 1st (example)

Sky as usual, try to keep op.

They send new offer and part of that offer is that it is a new 12 Month contract and 14 day cooling off period applies (as stated)

OP takes option of cooling off period and should revert back as if the new contract did not exist.

Therefore the original 31 day notice period stays in force.

That’s exactly how I read it. The agent I spoke to had to go off and discuss with his manager as he could see the terms in the email sent to me and agreed it read as if my original notice was still valid.

Advertisement