Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME DCU

Options
  • 10-12-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All

I'm in the process of applying for the PME in DCU. I think I have a reasonable chance of securing a place as I have both a decent degree GPA and a masters. I've already secured a school placement for year 1 should I get a place on the course.

I have done plenty of research about persuing this career path and I am aware that coming out it will be difficult to get a secure job. I am hoping that my subjects (Ag Science and Biology), will be some of the better ones employability wise. I think im pretty lucky in that in the placement I'll have the opportunity to observe and sub in other subjects as required by the school. I'm also aware that teaching in Ireland is changing and that there is a lot more red tape etc these days. I have considered that aspect also not to mention the ever changing pay scales for new entrants. My current career path is similar in that it has been difficult to secure a perm job with a reasonable salary so this aspect would not be new to me either. I have some previous experience in teaching at 3rd level which I enjoyed and though not the same as secondary I think that teaching is the career which I wish to persue long term.

My main reservation is the financial commitment during the course and in the time it takes to get a reasonable length on contract , obviously the fees must be paid but for anyone who is currently doing/ recently completed the DCU course is working part time a complete pipe dream? I live in Dublin so moving won't be an issue and I know that between placement and the lectures and course work there may not be many hours left in the day but has anyone done this and not burnt out totally?

I have previously worked full time when finishing off my masters thesis so I have some idea of how it will be.

Any other advice or tips on the course/ teaching as a career would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I cannot stress enough how you should watch the ads for (any) jobs. If you have issues with the PME's financial commitment, wait til you could be up to ten years scrabbling about on contracts for less than full hours.

Remember Hibernia are pumping teachers out like nobody's business, all scrabbling about for the limited number of hours available. Of the Sciences, Biology is the one most people have. Would you be qualified to teach Maths? That might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Whitter

spurious wrote: »
    I cannot stress enough how you should watch the ads for (any) jobs. If you have issues with the PME's financial commitment, wait til you could be up to ten years scrabbling about on contracts for less than full hours.

Remember Hibernia are pumping teachers out like nobody's business, all scrabbling about for the limited number of hours available. Of the Sciences, Biology is the one most people have. Would you be qualified to teach Maths? That might help.

Yes for sure!! I can manage financially once I have some work of any kind, it's more the thoughts of zero income over the two years of PME that worries me. I'm not a new graduate so picking up temp office work whenever I can will be the plan.

I'm attempting to make this career change with my eyes wide open regarding the job situation. I'm short credits for maths in my degree as I only did 10 credits worth of math speifically. I'm fine for JC science as I have enough physics and chem. Will also do what I can extra curricular wise to make the cv stand out at the end.

Advertisement