Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line installation in new housing estate

• 11-12-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody else has had issues getting a phone line to be installed in a new housing estate. 

Our house is part of a new residential development and eir currently have no services installed. Having placed an order in early September, an installation appointment was made and subsequently cancelled without any notice from eir. After many, many hours listening to eir's hold music (maybe have more than 2 songs when average wait times are north of 30 mins) I was told that the appointment had been cancelled as there was no phone line running up my street from the exchange (Exchange located at end of street).

I was subsequently told that this work would be completed by the 30th November and despite me consisitently waiting over an hour on hold to speak to an agent and being told each time that the lione should be installed by the 30th, the installation date came and went with no sign of a phone line. the amount of red tape that I am currently going through just to get a new installation date would give Dail Éireann a run for it's money.

There are a number of very frustrating things about this:
    • The builder has actually run a pipe down the street towards the exchange with ropes inside to pull the wires through and the houses have also been wired to the street. 
    • My average wait time to speak to an agent is between 50 mins and an hour. ( this might seem like an exaggeration but it is not).
    • I have been constantly told that by agents that they would call me back but i am still waiting
    • The online chat is a complete waste of time for this particular issue as they keep directing me to open eir to schedule my appointment. This is the only help they are able to offer.
    [*]

This seems like the kind of work that gets done when you make a bit of noise but to be honest that is tough when it takes north of an hour to speak to someone who can help. 

I would be keen to find out about anybody else's experiences with similar issues especially if they managed to speed up the installation process.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There is a lot more work beyond the developer laying ducting
    You would be looking at minimum 6 months from when the developer tells eir the estate is ready for cabling, and probably a lot more if its gonna be FTTH as most new estates are
    Very rarely can they just plonk some cables in and hey presto a hundred people can get a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hogabear

I understand there is a bit more involved than just plonking wires into the ducting. By the same token there will not a team of engineers camped out in the estate for a month or two either. The length of time that I might be waiting, while frustrating, is not my real issue. I would like an honest appraisal from eir of how long I should expect to wait. 

Right now I have no internet access however if eir told me that I would be waiting a minimum of 9 months, I could then take a contract with a wireless provider until the physical line is installed. Unfortunately this information is lacking from eir. Even more frustrating when it takes a minimum of 50 mins on hold to speak to someone who provides no information on what I should expect.

While this isn't as simple as chucking down the wires it is not the most complex installation in the world. The builder notified eir at least 4 months ago, it seems like pretty bad planning if they are unable to give accurate information on what their plan is (or if they have any) 4 months later. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rkirwan45

I have the same experience. An engineer visited a few weeks ago and said I would need to have 5 telegraph poles erected to take the line from the road to my house (which is off the road). I haven't hear from them. I have been calling for over 2 weeks to try to speak with someone who can help, but gave up after been on hold for over 30 minutes (each time). I have given up at this stage. 

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

hogabear wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anybody else has had issues getting a phone line to be installed in a new housing estate. 

Our house is part of a new residential development and eir currently have no services installed. Having placed an order in early September, an installation appointment was made and subsequently cancelled without any notice from eir. After many, many hours listening to eir's hold music (maybe have more than 2 songs when average wait times are north of 30 mins) I was told that the appointment had been cancelled as there was no phone line running up my street from the exchange (Exchange located at end of street).

I was subsequently told that this work would be completed by the 30th November and despite me consisitently waiting over an hour on hold to speak to an agent and being told each time that the lione should be installed by the 30th, the installation date came and went with no sign of a phone line. the amount of red tape that I am currently going through just to get a new installation date would give Dail Éireann a run for it's money.

• The builder has actually run a pipe down the street towards the exchange with ropes inside to pull the wires through and the houses have also been wired to the street. 
    • My average wait time to speak to an agent is between 50 mins and an hour. ( this might seem like an exaggeration but it is not).
    • I have been constantly told that by agents that they would call me back but i am still waiting
    • The online chat is a complete waste of time for this particular issue as they keep directing me to open eir to schedule my appointment. This is the only help they are able to offer.
    [*]

This seems like the kind of work that gets done when you make a bit of noise but to be honest that is tough when it takes north of an hour to speak to someone who can help. 

I would be keen to find out about anybody else's experiences with similar issues especially if they managed to speed up the installation process.

Having the same issue in a new estate, I was told 10 weeks ago someone would be in contact with me in 2 days, that call never came, I've rang them 4 or 5 times since with no luck, just given the run around, we've a a whole estate with people that have no internet, you'd think eir would want the business, they're a nightmare to deal with. I've totally given up on internet. We wore told the lines would be installed in October, weather the have been or not, is anyone a guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi,

[*]

Hi hogabear, 

I'm really sorry to hear this and I understand your frustration here however with a new estate it can take several months for all work to be carried out and completed as a lot of work is involved I'm afraid.

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll have a look at your order and see if there are any updates on it. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Advertisement

Aaron15 wrote: »
    Hi,

[*]

[*]

Having the same issue in a new estate, I was told 10 weeks ago someone would be in contact with me in 2 days, that call never came, I've rang them 4 or 5 times since with no luck, just given the run around, we've a a whole estate with people that have no internet, you'd think eir would want the business,  they're a nightmare to deal with. I've totally given up on internet. We wore told the lines would be installed in October, weather the have been or not, is anyone a guess
    [*]
    Hi Aaron15, 

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your order. 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll look at this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

[*]
    Hi Aaron15, 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll look at this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

I'm in the exact same boat. I can't even get an estimated date.

I've no idea what steps to take. I'll PM you Tracey in the hope you can point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

PM sent to you Tracey.

Aaron15 wrote: »
    [*]
    Hi Aaron15, 

Thanks 

Tracey

Pm sent

Thanks. 

I've responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey

• Advertisement

limktime wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat. I can't even get an estimated date.

I've no idea what steps to take. I'll PM you Tracey in the hope you can point me in the right direction.
    No problem limktime, I've responded to your PM. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hogabear

Hi,

[*]

[*]

Hi hogabear, 

I'm really sorry to hear this and I understand your frustration here however with a new estate it can take several months for all work to be carried out and completed as a lot of work is involved I'm afraid.

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll have a look at your order and see if there are any updates on it. 

Thanks

Tracey 
    [*]
    PM Sent

Hi,

[*]

[*]

Hi hogabear, 

Thanks

Tracey 

[*]
    PM Sent

Thanks. 

I've responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement