Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows activation and new PC

Options
  • 11-12-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi my computer died :( so I've bought a refurbished, comes with an SSD with widows 10 already installed.

My existing computer has an ssd with windows 10 , I think dodgy because it tells me it is not activated. Not sure.

Can I put this (existing) ssd with my windows installation and all my files, and just swap it with whatever the computer comes with?

Can I use the Windows key of the new ssd and use it for my existing?

Wanted to use the ssd that it comes with as a backup drive.

I really don't want to lose all my settings.
    All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If your original (the one that died) PC was OEM (made by Dell, Lenovo, etc), Windows license was tied to motherboard - using THAT disk in another PC (another motherboard) will invalidate activation.

If it was Retail license(you should have Key) , you should be able reuse it in your new(refurbished) PC.
    See or google similar:

How to transfer a Windows 10 license to a new computer or hard drive

Moving hard drive with Windows 10 installed to a new computer.(see link inside article)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

It was not OEM. Son put together pc with bits of his old one. It had Windows 8 and then it updated to Windows 10, all was fine until a month ago, and then it told me it was not activated.

He reckons motherboard dead, anyway I've bought a replacement, just want to put in existing ssd.

As the new pc is coming with Win10 already on it, can I use that code to activate my existing?

Sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While you can sometimes get away with what you're suggesting (transplant bootable drive to different hardware) it's a recipe for headaches.

Sign into the new PC and use a drive caddy to copy over your data. Install programs fresh. You can use Ninite to speed this up if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Well folks
    PC arrived today, took out ssd and put in my old one. Everything A ok.
    Booted up fine and is working great!

I used the activation code supplied with the new computer to activate Windows on the old, all seems to be ok.

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement