Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glow plug light Golf..

• 11-12-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

So today my 2012 diesel VW golf (while driving ) displayed the flashing glow plug symbol.

The car was serviced in August in a VW garage.
    The only thing I've noticed with it is a message when I start the engine to "renew key battery" (which I didn't do - I know know ! )

Could the key be linked to the glow plug or is it worse 😭😭😭

I read somewhere that the glow plug symbol means engine management.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The glow plug symbol flashing is a general warning rather than a specific glow plug warning. To find out what the cause is you’d need to get a diagnostic scan done.

Did the car lose power when the light was on or did it have normal power levels?

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0 TDI?

Key battery won’t be related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The glow plug symbol is just a generic warning light in those, it could literally be anything. It's not likely to be anything to do with the key battery message. They are cheap and easy to change, it's just a watch battery, CR2032 iirc.

My most likely guesstimate is a faulty EGR cooler. If you've had the emissions fix, VW will replace it FOC. That is just a stab in the dark though.

Edit: snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bow_wow

The glow plug symbol flashing is a general warning rather than a specific glow plug warning. To find out what the cause is you’d need to get a diagnostic scan done.

Did the car lose power when the light was on or did it have normal power levels?

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0 TDI?

Key battery won’t be related.

Okay thanks a million.....no it didn't seem to loose power that I noticed ..It's a 1.6

The glow plug symbol is just a generic warning light in those, it could literally be anything. It's not likely to be anything to do with the key battery message. They are cheap and easy to change, it's just a watch battery, CR2032 iirc.

My most likely guesstimate is a faulty EGR cooler. If you've had the emissions fix, VW will replace it FOC. That is just a stab in the dark though.

Edit: snap!

I has the emissions fix .. .my nerves are gone that it's this filter that was mentioned to me before . I don't drive it on the motorway alot but I do try to bring it for a good drive on it when I can. If that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If it definitely has normal power levels with the light on then the most likely cause is an exhaust gas temp sensor.

If it loses power when the light comes on then it’s more likely to be the EGR as already suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Book it in to be checked out. I wouldn't be panicking yet anyway, could be something simple, could also be covered for free post emissions fix.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mine lost power suddenly on the M1 with the glow plug light flashing. Injector fault, and the car had been "fixed" by VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

If it definitely has normal power levels with the light on then the most likely cause is an exhaust gas temp sensor.
    /quote]

Less than One month after warranty ended on our 2010 we got the glow plug light as well
    And that sensor was all it was
    Cheap to fix too

km79 wrote: »
    /quote]

Less than One month after warranty ended on our 2010 we got the glow plug light as well
    And that sensor was all it was
    Cheap to fix too

Oh this all gives me hope! Fingers crossed ! Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bow_wow wrote: »
    km79 wrote: »

Oh this all gives me hope! Fingers crossed ! Thanks !

If you have a regular local mechanic use him
    He will plug in the laptop and diagnose it very quickly
    And cheaply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Depending on mileage .possibly egr cooler valve..or 1 of the common rail injectors... when its exhaust gas recirculation valve car usually goes into limp mode... ie no turbo boost. But engine still runs smoothly..however with injector fault engines runs badly with slight vibration through car if you slightly accelerate from tick over.. just get it plugged into diagnostic system and you'll get definitive results
    The 1.6tdi are lots more prone to above issues compared to the better 2.0 litre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Bow_wow wrote: »
    Hi,

So today my 2012 diesel VW golf (while driving ) displayed the flashing glow plug symbol.

The car was serviced in August in a VW garage.
    The only thing I've noticed with it is a message when I start the engine to "renew key battery" (which I didn't do - I know know ! )

Could the key be linked to the glow plug or is it worse 😭😭😭

I read somewhere that the glow plug symbol means engine management.

Thanks

Not sure if it still affects the newer VW's but this glow plug light used to come on for something as simple as a brake light switch.
    Are your brake lights working ok?
    Might be worth a look.

Advertisement