Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Court Case

• 11-12-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Another court case involving traps. This one is very clear. No excuse for not only importing leg hold traps into the country, but then selling them at a poultry mart.

https://greennews.ie/man-court-limerick-possession-26-traps/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

The silver coloured traps in the backround of the photo..are they any different to fenn traps? Seem very similar to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

270WIN wrote: »
    The silver coloured traps in the backround of the photo..are they any different to fenn traps? Seem very similar to me.

They are coil spring foothold traps, for catching fox etc by the foot. The others are long spring traps, similar to gins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder where they are made?? As pretty much all of the EU has banned them for use.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder where they are made?? As pretty much all of the EU has banned them for use.

First thought was America, but might actually been from China. Think a lot of replicas are being churned out and sold on Alibaba etc. Even Fenn replicas can be baught in bulk off there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Eddie B wrote: »
    They are coil spring foothold traps, for catching fox etc by the foot. The others are long spring traps, similar to gins.

You see them being sold at marts at times..most people havent a clue that they are illegal..but i doubt if they would hold a fox..they seem more suitable for a tunnell trap like fenns.

• Advertisement

270WIN wrote: »
    You see them being sold at marts at times..most people havent a clue that they are illegal..but i doubt if they would hold a fox..they seem more suitable for a tunnell trap like fenns.

Those traps in the picture would have serious holding power. The silver ones have sides that pop up, that allow for no movement in the jaws when fired. They could hold any fox, or dog for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Horrible things, glad they were banned. I have seen them sold, but that does not mean you can use them.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Horrible things, glad they were banned. I have seen them sold, but that does not mean you can use them.

It is illegal to use them, sell them, or even import them for display purposes. In the UK, I think it's only illegal to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I use the fen trap for mink but how are they any kinder on an animal than any of the traps in the picture. How do they go about alowing one over another? :-(

Benny mcc wrote: »
    I use the fen trap for mink but how are they any kinder on an animal than any of the traps in the picture. How do they go about alowing one over another? :-(

Well a fenn trap is known as a lethal trap, or kill trap. The trap is designed to kill the target animal quickly. That is why they are only approved for small animals. The jaws close aroubd the body of the animal. It's also necessary to house them in a restricted tunnel of some sort, to prevent larger animals from getting caught.

The traps in the picture are foot/leg hold traps. Designed to catch the animal by the foot/leg. They are not designed to kill, but to hold the animal. A lot of people see this as a far less humane type of trap. Especially those traps that have serated type jaws which can damage the animals limbs.

• Advertisement

This is a kill trap thats perfectly legal for foxes in Germany.Its a so called "Berlin iron" jaw trap. Thing is it is PULL RELEASE ONLY!! the animal has to pull some bait on a wire which guarantees they are positioned correctly for a clean kill It must be deactivated by law every sunrise,and can only be used at night in an artifical den or enclosed space..

url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBIQzWWG4yE/YOUTUBE[/url

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

This is a kill trap thats perfectly legal for foxes in Germany.Its a so called "Berlin iron" jaw trap. Thing is it is PULL RELEASE ONLY!! the animal has to pull some bait on a wire which guarantees they are positioned correctly for a clean kill It must be deactivated by law every sunrise,and can only be used at night in an artifical den or enclosed space..

Have never seen such a trap before. Thanks for posting. It's a real beast, isn't it. Wonder how old is the design. Certainly looks antique looking.

Were still available in Frankonia last time I saw their catalogue.Yup still have them. https://www.frankonia.de/p/wei%C3%9Fer/schwanenhals/13078?navCategoryId=62167

Kieferle, Franconia's competitor is making and selling for whatever crazy reason, Gin traps again for collectors!!:eek::eek: Amazed they can get away with that in Germany!

Put one of those out in your hunting reserve and you will be looking at jail time and permanent loss of your gun and hunting licenses over there.
    Not to mind one of them is capable of holding a wild boar!So well capable of breaking or holding a human leg like was used in Victorian times against poachers in estates here and the UK.

http://kieferle.com/jagdbedarf/fangeisen/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Were still available in Frankonia last time I saw their catalogue.Yup still have them. https://www.frankonia.de/p/wei%C3%9Fer/schwanenhals/13078?navCategoryId=62167

Kieferle, Franconia's competitor is making and selling for whatever crazy reason, Gin traps again for collectors!!:eek::eek: Amazed they can get away with that in Germany!

Put one of those out in your hunting reserve and you will be looking at jail time and permanent loss of your gun and hunting licenses over there.
    Not to mind one of them is capable of holding a wild boar!So well capable of breaking or holding a human leg like was used in Victorian times against poachers in estates here and the UK.

Are the German legal ones legal here? Also it's says sutible for dear they legal in German for dear?

Are the German legal ones legal here? Also it's says sutible for dear they legal in German for dear?

Good question. You see vague legislation can lead to problems. That fox trap for instance. Well, is it a leg Hold trap? The answer is NO. Is it a gin trap? The answer is NO. Does it cause the instant death of the target species? Most likely YES. Is it an approved trap for the target species? I presume YES. ( Didn't get a chance to read anything about the trap as of yet.)
    Can it be imported into Ireland. Germany is in the EU, so YES.

So in theory the trap is legal, but I bet you'd get locked away for using such trap here.

With regards dear trap, you'd be breaking all sorts of laws using that one here, so no point even contemplating that scenario.

Edited to add, I presume HISTORISCHE FALLEN means vintage traps

To answer a few questions.
    NO ABSOLUTELY NOT legal for deer or anything else in Germany.
    As I said you put a gin or leg hold trap out in Germany. That's an instant signing of your own death warrant concerning hunting license and firearms license and jail time too! They won't Fk around over there on something like that.

Will they[pull traps] kill foxes, racoons badgers[not protected in Germany] instantly. 100% yes if set up properly. Kill small dogs, or break someone's leg? Without a doubt! That's why it must be used in an artificial den, or you must secure it by sun up under the law. Legal here? Probably, maybe, buy one and go to court to find out probably no doubt. More humane than snares?No question.
    HISTORISCHE FALLEN means vintage traps?
    Correct. They are Gin traps,and all the red bit is warning you of that fact and they are not to be used in any way or form for trapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There would want to be some serious instructions with that yoke.

Me heart was in me mouth watching the video waiting for the snap.

I know a health and safety fella that would probably get a banger watching that.

That video was, I think, part of the German hunting tet course in Franconia, by the sound of them accents. Safe enough once you have the cocking/decocking mechanism.Utterly hairy cocking one without it .:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I would like to have to set them up. Nerve racking. Lol

Came across this video which shows, amongst other things, a trap very similar to the one above (looks like a smaller version) used in this case, to trap marten. Interesting, the way they use d build permanent type tunnels etc, in their methods of trapping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement