Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would the government work in a "United Ireland"?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,738 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some of you people reckon this is going to happen the way you are talking.
    Do you not think we will have subversive groups against this?
    Do you not think that these subversive groups will act on both sides of the current border?
    I'm fully against this. I prefer no troubles in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

eagle eye wrote: »
    Some of you people reckon this is going to happen the way you are talking.
    Do you not think we will have subversive groups against this?
    Do you not think that these subversive groups will act on both sides of the current border?
    I'm fully against this. I prefer no troubles in this country

I agree if it happens too soon there will be trouble. I also believe that the Northern Economy needs to lower it reliance on the PS before reunification is possible. I'd expect it to take a number of decades before we are at that point.

The only wildcard here is Brexit. If its a no deal Brexit and the British economy gets hit hard then the regions will be effected the worst. Northern Ireland already has the lowest wages in the UK so any hit could tilt things up there. Our economy could be hit hard as well and afaik we need to vote down here for Reunification as well (I could be wrong but thats my understanding). We could see the situation where the North votes to reunify and we vote against it because people here will see the economic cost as a threat to our country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

gandalf wrote: »
    My understanding is that under the GFA if the vote is for a United Ireland devolved power stays in NI so a federal approach is more than likely. It would give a chance to reform our councils into the regional structure and to save costs as Reunification is going to be a major shock on our economy.

If there were to be a referendum on the border, the terms would be clearly stated with no possibility for interpretation. Conditions would be clearly drawn with any transition period stated. I would expect the currency to be the Euro, and the Dail expanded to give equal representation to the NI voters. I would expect a new flag, new national anthem, and guaranties to Unionist to give them parity of esteem.

Ireland would benefit if NI came without any of the UK National debt and the state assets of NI pass to Ireland. We would suffer economically if there were no transition payments from the UK Treasury, and we had to carry the full cost of the NI bloated public service.

The big issues (for NI) would be the NHS and car taxes, however SW is higher and min wage is higher, and general wages are higher.

I would not expect any concessions such as us joining the Commonwealth, or other British links if not supported by the UK (such as British passports, etc). We could move the Dail to Stormont, but that would depend on sentiment.

This is a long way off unless economic trouble in the UK starts to give rise to serious civil unrest on a greater scale than the miners strike or the poll tax riots.

Advertisement