Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What you see in Dublin

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

And it's not a pretty city, maybe in your opinion, but you're tapped. I have never once met a tourist who said the city was beautiful.

You haven't met many tourists then. I had a friend over from Australia who spent an entire day taking pictures of the bridges on the Liffey.

I had an American mate share her pictures on Facebook of the Christmas lights in town from 5 years ago. That's half a decade and she's still thinking about how beautiful Dublin is at Christmas.

When you live somewhere it's easy to put it down because you start to only see the bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'll affect your mood in a positive way with my next sentence brother Rabbit.

Solstice in two days, longer days and shorter nights! :)

Yeah, longer days of murkiness ;)

dbdBb5Q

https://ibb.co/dbdBb5Q

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

There are plenty of very affordable eateries all over the city from gastro-pub to tapas to carvery to top end early bird offers and pre-theatre menus. Again, just because you don’t know about them doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

I paid €5 corkage in a restaurant on Friday. Try the BYOB places. Again, just because you don’t know about them doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

You were saying “what parks” five minutes ago. Now not only are you aware of them, but you’ve been to most of them? Pull the other one Carlingford locked :pac::pac:

:confused:? I keep telling you tourists like things like this. just because you don’t like certain experiences it doesn’t mean tourists don’t like them.

We have a temperate climate. It’s not as bad as you think it is, we don’t have to adapt our lives for extreme cold or heat.

I’ve met hundreds of tourists that love Dublin. Public transport isn’t good, but tourists mainly rely on the DART and use it off peak and at weekends, so it works out very well for them. (if you ever met a tourist in Dublin you’d know this) ;)

Parks don't really do it for me unless it's warm weather, so you can list all the parks you like. And yes I've been to most of them, I've lived here the guts of 40 years.
    You seem to like the climate here, I think it's terrible. We don't really get seasons, and the driving wind and rain we've been having for weeks on end now is the norm, not the exception. Makes it hard to enjoy doing things outdoors in Dublin.
    BYO restaurants, yes I'm aware there are some here. 5e corkage is actually a rip off. In London it's free, on Brick Lane etc.
    Generally speaking Dublin, and Ireland, is very expensive for eating out, you can't argue with that.
    I'm sure some tourists do enjoy visiting here, I just can't see for the life of me why, despite the arguments you're making.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The best thing about Dublin is that it's not Cork

:D

Shut up ya auld langer ya!

:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Lads loitering around Heuston trying to flog Guinness to Beamish conversion sachets when the train from Cork comes in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Parks don't really do it for me unless it's warm weather, so you can list all the parks you like. And yes I've been to most of them, I've lived here the guts of 40 years

I'd suggest you stop going to them if the don't do it for you.
    You seem to like the climate here, I think it's terrible. We don't really get seasons, and the driving wind and rain we've been having for weeks on end now is the norm, not the exception

Driving wind and rain is not the norm in throughout Spring, Summer Autumn and Winter and you know it. It's mid winter now and we've had an unusual bad run except for today which was a cracker of day.
    Makes it hard to enjoy doing things outdoors in Dublin.

Are you actually serious? We produce the best GAA football team in the country and one of the best Rugby teams in the world, where do you think they train, play and practice set pieces? In a tent? Not to mention all the clubs scattered throughout the county and country. As a kite surfer I find your comments hilarious and I've kitesurfed all over Europe including Tarifa. Dublin and Ireland have some of the best conditions in the world. I'm outdoors every day and right now there's a running group running by my house, the city and county is full of outdoor activities that hundreds of thousands of people take part in.
    BYO restaurants, yes I'm aware there are some here. 5e corkage is actually a rip off. In London it's free, on Brick Lane etc. .

I don't think you were aware until I posted to be honest, just like you didn't think there were any parks except St. Annes and the Phoenix Park.
    Generally speaking Dublin, and Ireland, is very expensive for eating out, you can't argue with that. .

I can, I did and I proved my point. I can head in to town and get good cheap food, you can't.
    I'm sure some tourists do enjoy visiting here, I just can't see for the life of me why, despite the arguments you're making.

Edit... I was far to harsh there, apologies if you read my initial reactive post and I offended you. Tourists love Dublin, Dubliners and people from everywhere love living in and visiting the city. You may not like it, but it's what you make of it and how you interact with it. I'm just going to leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

One of the two most prominent shopping streets i.e Henry Street swamped with the tackiest dodgiest stalls selling fake perfumes and other such fake crapie landfill.

Dublin City CoCouncil must be rotten to the Core to grant permits for this.

Chinasea wrote: »
    One of the two most prominent shopping streets i.e Henry Street swamped with the tackiest dodgiest stalls selling fake perfumes and other such fake crapie landfill.

Dublin City CoCouncil must be rotten to the Core to grant permits for this.

Well at least it'll get them off welfare for a few weeks a year and they'll be contributing their taxes.

Edit... I was far to harsh there, apologies if you read my initial reactive post and I offended you. Tourists love Dublin, Dubliners and people from everywhere love living in and visiting the city. You may not like it, but it's what you make of it and how you interact with it. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Thanks. The weather here gets me down sometimes. I do more outdoors than most people I know, golf, surfing (in Sligo), walking etc. But the last 2 months have been just bloody awful. Today is glorious, because there's no wind for a change, and if I was off I'd be in Deer Park now.

I know you can get decent deals in town RE food, but generally speaking, it's an expensive city to eat and drink out in.

The days started getting longer a week ago by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Thanks. The weather here gets me down sometimes. I do more outdoors than most people I know, golf, surfing (in Sligo), walking etc. But the last 2 months have been just bloody awful. Today is glorious, because there's no wind for a change, and if I was off I'd be in Deer Park now.

I know you can get decent deals in town RE food, but generally speaking, it's an expensive city to eat and drink out in.

The days started getting longer a week ago by the way.

I'm resorting to sunbeds and I never thought I'd see the day, I do it in short sessions, the vitamin D boost does improve my mood.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Yeah, again (and again, and again), just because you can’t see or are unaware of what’s worth visiting in Dublin doesn’t mean other people can’t see or are unaware of what’s worth visiting in Dublin! Maybe you don’t like the particular cultural experiences, the history, the architecture, the parks, the people and coastline that Dublin has to offer!

But other people do.

Just a few corrections

Dublin has the cheapest eateries in Ireland. You just don’t know them.
    Dublin had good weather, not terrible weather.
    In Dublin city centre, the pedestrian is king, it’s very pedestrian friendly.
    I don’t think Dublin is paradise, I just know it better than you.
    And Finally, recommending other cities over Dublin to people that want to see Collins Barracks, Trinity, do the GPO tour etc… is just stupid.

Stopped reading after Dublin has good weather.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'm resorting to sunbeds and I never thought I'd see the day, I do it in short sessions, the vitamin D boost does improve my mood.

I spoke too soon. Windy and rainy and foggy now.

Advertisement