Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola G4 not receiving text messages

Options
  • 12-12-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am with Virgin Mobile. I have a Motorola G4 Play. I am having a big problem with SMS text messaging. Over the last couple of days, I realise I am not getting half of the messages that are being sent to me. Likewise, only half the SMS messages I am sending are being received. Some of these are important as they include verification codes for banking etc.

I have been onto Virgin Media and they said it might take up to 5 days for them to look at my problem. Meanwhile I cannot access my bank account as I need a verification code that comes via text message to unblock it.

Anyone else had any issues or any advice. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It's the network, not the phone. I was with Virgin for 3 months before I moved back to Eir. Mainly I would not receive random 2FA / bank or automated texts and nothing was ever fixed (from calls or a new SIM - I think it's a backend issue they don't wish to or can't fix). Eir SIM only plans are €30 for unlimited calls / texts and 25GB of data - I'd highly recommend switching over.

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

Big post on the issues here - https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057704958/2 / https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923/23

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Thx. Advertsfox. Those threads make interesting reading. Strangely though, I had been getting my verification codes fine until today with Virgin. There is clearly something else going on because I am getting about half my text messages from friends, but half are not being delivered. I will seriously consider moving providers now.

Coming up to Christmas with a frozen bank account is no fun.

Mind you, looking at this closely, seems like Eir have had/are having major issues with providing automated messages from third-party services. This is a non-negotiable issue which any service provider.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057834568/3

I wonder if anyone using other networks are having the same issue. Useful to know please.

Katzi wrote: »
    Mind you, looking at this closely, seems like Eir have had/are having major issues with providing automated messages from third-party services. This is a non-negotiable issue which any service provider.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057834568/3

I wonder if anyone using other networks are having the same issue. Useful to know please.
    That one looked a bit more specific to BOI and Eir with a specific SMS aggregator, I can personally get my texts from BOI just fine. I'm sure other network have had issues, if imagine they'd have all sorts of spam filters from these 3rd party providers.

Update: Virgin Mobile suggested that if I was in a hurry to get authorisation codes (ie unblock my bank account) that I should switch service provider!!! No attempt to keep me as a customer. They said it would still take 5 days to fix and that if I was not happy with that I could 'port out' without financial penalty.

I duly went to switch. But guess what is needed? Yes! A verification code sent from the new provider to my current number which is with Virgin Mobile. But of course the verification code did not arrive.

So I am caught in a trap. The man I spoke to in Virgin this afternoon had the grace to admit that Virgin are having a massive issue with verification code texts at the moment. I suspect I am not alone!!

They should put this up on their website so that other customers are aware of the issue.

• Advertisement

Katzi wrote: »
    Update: Virgin Mobile suggested that if I was in a hurry to get authorisation codes (ie unblock my bank account) that I should switch service provider!!! No attempt to keep me as a customer. They said it would still take 5 days to fix and that if I was not happy with that I could 'port out' without financial penalty.
    Wow that is shocking, I can't believe you have been advised that - maybe the support person is tired of getting these calls and knows the networks own limitations and is trying to do you a favour.

Are you in a contract or SIM only? If the latter, I would just go to another network and request a port over. You can't even get text messages so surely there is a breach in your contract that will let you leave without issue.

Virgin happy to let me go without any financial penalty. In other words, I can forego the 30 days notice. I am SIM only. In order to port over to my EXISTING phone number, the new provider sends a verification code to ensure the phone is actually mine. But when they try to send the code nothing happens. I do not receive the text!

The woman I spoke to in Virgin this morning did not even hint at any wider issues with their network. I explained I was also not getting personal texts from other networks, for example THREE and she instantly said that Virgin are having issues with THREE too. Dreadful dreadful service.

Further Update: Hard to believe, but when I phoned Virgin today asking what they were doing about this issue, they came up with a new suggestion. I should get a NEW telephone number from another provider and then contact Virgin's 'docking team' who would then transfer my existing number back to the new provider as I would still be within the 14 day cooling off period.

Not sure the customer service agent actually understood what he was trying to say either. But the story is now at an end. I have managed to switch to another provider. Got verification texts from the new provider with no problem. Bank account unblocked. Transfers made. All well.

Draw your own conclusions about the service offered by Virgin Mobile. I will be sticking with one of the long-standing bigger providers in future.

Advertisement