Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Outage also cut off 4G Signal on Vodafone & Three.

Options
  • 13-12-2018 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Tonight at around 8:10pm we lost power in Rathfarnham Village for about 1.5 hours. The fault was seen on ESB website. We have power now so it’s fine. BUT, I am wondering, why my girlfriend and I BOTH lost 4G signal and our 3G barely worked.

Why would a local power outage cause our 4G to cut off? I am Vodafone and she is Three. Are there local masts which we rely on for 4G signal? Or did the fault cause a phone mast in the mountains to shut off? Do they not have back up power?

I find this so odd, it’s my first outage in this area, only been living here for 3 months. But anywhere else I’ve had an outage over my whole life, my mobile phone has been OK.

Note, both my personal phone and work phone lost 4G on VODAFONE AND my girlfriends personal phone on Three Network. And the 3G was really really bad for us both. That’s two separate networks affected by a local power outage. Since when does local power support our 3G/4G signal?

Can somebody explain how 4G works, because this just seems so odd to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Shared masts - and they need power to work. The phone then searched for another mast which was further away giving a poor signal

Outage possibly caused a power break within the mast and it didn't retrigger when power was restored. Most have backup power systems, but obviously it didn't trigger on this one.

Engineer needs to do a call out and crank it up again for want of a better phrase

As for previous outages, most outages are local, just because you are without power doesn't mean there's no power where the mast is.

Advertisement