Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning on power in house just bought

Options
  • 13-12-2018 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

I got the keys to a house today, built 2004.

No information provided by previous tenants / owners / EA about elec or gas.

None of the lights work, the fridge isn't on.

I looked at the meter, no movement at all.

I rand ESB Networks, provided the code from the meter, received the MPRN.

They confirmed the house is not disconnected, advised me to check fuse board.

Hager fuse board, all looks normal to me, all fuses at ON setting, bottom left one is different, labelled "Main Sw/fuse". It does not have an on/off flick switch.

I'm guessing it's the main fuse?

It has a little lid (bad description) on a hinge, and the lid is pointing outwards, into the room.

I'm looking for advice as how to restore power?

Maybe I must first register with a supplier?

I just notice in the photo of the fuse board, that below the "main fuse", there actually is an off switch, sort of hidden by the hinged lid.

Maybe I should have flicked that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's a Hager Friedland D780 fuse board.

sorry, WRONG, THAT's the door bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The 63A Neozed fuse will need to be fully inserted in the switch fuse unit and the switch closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

I think I get you.

Not in house now, 140km away.

The main fuse is circular?, and looks like it can be twisted, or twisted and pushed in.

I can see from the photo how the hinged lid could close then.

Thanks very much.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could pop into an electrical wholesalers and I’m sure they would show you for free if you buy a few items from them (I guess you will need a few bulbs or something anyway).

Advertisement