Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish family evicted and replaced by migrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's the housing shortage lowering standards not foreign nationals. Irish people are living in worse conditions too. I've had many Irish tenant paying over 300 to replace the shower out of their own pocket because they are afraid the landlord will threaten to sell up & kick them out.

Sorry, but that's not rounded thinking there.

If there had been a housing shortage since the beginning of the state, yes, Id agree.

But its no coincidence that large inward migration arrived the same time as housing shortage. Remember the housing crisis during the recession?

And as you mention about irish people being afraid to ruffle a landlords feathers, that is a fantastic example of standards going down the tubes from increased competition.

Whats the point of building more housing when it will simply be filled up immediately? If we had a steady-state amount of people (you know, like a country only beholden to its own people) it would be very simple arithmetic.

How many non-irish people would swoop in if there was more housing available? This is an impossible scenario. As I said above, a country of 4 million versus a world of billions in competition, without the aid of protectionism. Its a disaster unfolding. It will get a lot worse too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Billy86 wrote: »
    A bit of an aside since I'm not familiar with the OP at all, but I also remember living in Sydney years back with some English guy from Worcester from the backpackers hostel complaining about "all the Chinks, krauts, gooks and darkies" around but that "here we are, four proud English lads". I corrected him that I am Irish, so he changed to "oh right sorry, four British lads..." so I corrected him again and got "well we're all in the Commonwealth and that's what matters!". The two other lads were from London and the cringing horror in their faces actually made it all worthwhile. :p

Then there was another girl from Oldham that I worked with, who loved to complain about all the "bloody foreigners" in Sydney who were taking her job opportunities. She rarely hung out with any Aussies, just lots of foreigners herself. Only the foreigners she hung out with were white, and British/American/Irish/Canadian with a few continentals... I honest to god don't think she had even the slightest clue that she and her friends were the actual foreigners.

Oh absolutely, I lived in Australia for a few years and I saw that kind of racism all the time. Right now, an old high school friend of there frequently posts on Facebook about refugees and migrants coming over to Australia and taking jobs.

Totally ignoring the fact his own parents and grandparents fled to Australia in the 40's to get away from the Nazi's. His family are Polish and a mix of Christian and Jewish.

Contrary to popular belief, Australians are actually pretty damn racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

mammajamma wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's not rounded thinking there.

If there had been a housing shortage since the beginning of the state, yes, Id agree.

But its no coincidence that large inward migration arrived the same time as housing shortage. Remember the housing crisis during the recession?

The housing crisis is a direct result of the selling off of the national public housing stock and the ongoing policy of the privatisation of social housing, nothing to do with immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Contrary to popular belief, Australians are actually pretty damn racist.

That's not the popular belief, we all know about the aboriginals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The housing crisis is a direct result of the selling off of the national public housing stock and the ongoing policy of the privatisation of social housing, nothing to do with immigration.

You clearly haven't received your trickle down cheque, it's either lost in the post or you got screwed!

• Advertisement

So the houses were sold. Okay.

So where did all the people come from to fill them?

The ones that weren't there before?

Maybe when these foreign "investors" bought the houses, they dismantled them and literally took them out of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

Even the people who trash their free houses and make their neighbours' lives miserable?

Even the people who trash their free houses and make their neighbours' lives miserable?

What if it were a choice between no-good irish people and no-good non-irish people?

Who deserves it more then?

What about an irish nurse versus a non-irish nurse?

Who should get priority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What if it were a choice between no-good irish people and no-good non-irish people?

Who deserves it more then?

What about an irish nurse versus a non-irish nurse?

Who should get priority?

We shouldn't be housing any no-good non-Irish people (if by no-good you mean people with criminal convictions or extremist views that contravene our laws). For the non-no-good people who are here legally we shouldn't be discriminating between them

We shouldn't be housing any no-good non-Irish people (if by no-good you mean people with criminal convictions or extremist views that contravene our laws). For the non-no-good people who are here legally we shouldn't be discriminating between them

This country deserves everything its getting!

Imagine your own child is told to move out of your house so as another stranger can take her place, simply because we "shouldn't be discriminating against anyone".

Im sure everyone would be on board for that idea. Watch everything get worse and worse, scratch your head in amazement, then think it all over again. These ideas that Ireland is simply a name, open to anyone who can get their foot in the door is banana's! Its absolute insanity. You just have to laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mammajamma wrote:

We have a housing shortage because we didn't build homes for 8 years. If we had no foreign nationals and our Irish that left in the last 10 years came back we'd still have a housing shortage. How you bl foreign nationals makes absolutely no sense at all.

We have a housing shortage because we didn't build homes for 8 years. If we had no foreign nationals and our Irish that left in the last 10 years came back we'd still have a housing shortage. How you bl foreign nationals makes absolutely no sense at all.

So its just plain parasitic behaviour then. The perfect model of unsustainability.

We cant run a country because irish people have to leave, and somehow we still "need" immigration to replace them? What kind of arse-backwards logic is that? (not aimed at you personally, just in general)

How many irish people are leaving the country now because its become totally unaffordable? How many non-irish people are moving here because they have much lower standards? That's the game. Lower standards for all.

This really is globalisation in a nutshell. A very few making killer profits, the vast majority just having their quality of life diminished ad infinitum.

So yes, one of the main factors for the housing affordability problem is migration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How many irish people are leaving the country now because its become totally unaffordable? How many non-irish people are moving here because they have much lower standards? That's the game. Lower standards for all.
    Trades people left due to the crash. Very little apprenticeships in place to replenish supply of people that were lost. But trades people from the likes of Poland see Irish wages, and see it as a place to goto. But some of the Polish apprenticeships can take only 9 months, as opposed to our 4 years, so it's unknown if their standard of knowledge would be the same as the people that no longer work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sinn Feins Eoin O Broin was on Newstalk this morning quoting a figure of 13,000 homeless, he said he was counting the 5,000+ living in direct provision as homeless.

He was also including people in hospitals as homeless.
    Republican Harry Potter is very poor at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

As with folks gleefully leaping to call people terrorist defenders on the Strasbourg thread, their counterparts are leaping to call someone they don't know a racist and bigot on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And as you mention about irish people being afraid to ruffle a landlords feathers, that is a fantastic example of standards going down the tubes from increased competition.
    Can you show how this has dropped and was never not the case? My parents bought in 1990, but were tenants for about 15 years prior to that from when they initially moved to Dublin for college, and they had similar issues with landlords all the way back in the 70s and 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Odhinn

aido79 wrote: »
    This story has been shared a number of times recently by friends on Facebook. There is always more to these stories when more details are revealed so just wondering if anyone has any more information about the story.

If it is a straightforward case that the Irish family has been turfed out for no reason other than to be replaced by migrants for financial gains then it is wrong and I would agree with councillor Andy Gladney.

There's no evidence that this happened, or that Andy Gladney said anything about it. His twitter a/c was last used in 2016, as far as I can see.

the_syco wrote: »
    Trades people left due to the crash. Very little apprenticeships in place to replenish supply of people that were lost. But trades people from the likes of Poland see Irish wages, and see it as a place to goto. But some of the Polish apprenticeships can take only 9 months, as opposed to our 4 years, so it's unknown if their standard of knowledge would be the same as the people that no longer work in Ireland.

Makes sense. Another "lower standards" example. But that's only one area.

The hot topic amongst everyone I know (literally everyone in one form or another) is "what am I doing in Ireland?"

In other words, contemplating the future. People in their 20's and younger (even 30's and younger) are simply weighing up reality, that they are scrambling in most cases to get hold of a stable job in order to have a home and hopefully work toward a family. What would be considered a normal life.

They are wondering about progress, and where it is in Ireland.

As it stands, all services are on a downward spiral, and everything points to globalisation as the ultimate root cause. I know a couple that just got saddled with a 400'000 euro mortgage, wont be paid off until they are nearly 70. That's a looooooong time for all sorts to go wrong. Is that what people have to look forward to? Working their entire lives to acquire a house, spend a few years pottering around then bite the dust? Hand it off to the child who'll have to pay some extortionate tax on inheritance?

Its all bad from a future outlook, and the bedfellow of globalisation is migration. The quality of our lives that our parents/grandparents worked for, even fought for, are being whizzed down the drain like theirs no tomorrow. Very ably abetted by the "no such thing as a country anymore" fools.

So lots are considering leaving out of necessity, and there are even more ready to replace them from abroad and bring quality of life down, down, down. This is going to end really badly, and maybe a lot sooner than some would think.

So the houses were sold. Okay.

So where did all the people come from to fill them?

The ones that weren't there before?

Maybe when these foreign "investors" bought the houses, they dismantled them and literally took them out of the country!
    Below is a problem that faces every social services sector in all of Ireland, pretty much every day:

Mary is Irish, and her family have been living in Ireland for hundreds of years. Mary also is unemployed and wants a house for her 5 kids as she is classified as homeless.

You give Mary a 3 bed semi a little outside Naas; she is no longer homeless.

Mary kicks off bloody murder that she might as well be living in the Sahara, and that her kids are being traumatised from the cruelty you are putting them through by making them live outside Dublin city (not county, Dublin city).

Mary one day says 'feck it', moves out of the house and leaves it abandoned. Mary has rejected what you have provided her. Mary is now once again homeless.

Mary now demands a new house. One where she wants it and with an individual bedroom for each child. Maybe some spare rooms in case Mary has any more children in the next year or two.

I should mention Mary's main mode of communicating with you is threatening to go to Joe Duffy, the Sun, etc and publicly name and shame you... or to say she will have have her relatives pay you 'a visit' in the night unless you get that to her.

If it were up to you, what house would you offer Mary at this point? If she kept refusing the houses you gave her, should tax payers be charged to build Mary the exact house she wants in the exact area she wants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If someone is offered social housing and they refuse it they are choosing to be homeless and should be left to their own devices.

• Advertisement

Can you show how this has dropped and was never not the case? My parents bought in 1990, but were tenants for about 15 years prior to that from when they initially moved to Dublin for college, and they had similar issues with landlords all the way back in the 70s and 80s.

See my last post for a comparison between your parents and that couple I know.

There is just no way they are equal whatsoever. Mortgaged to the hilt until nearly aged 70? An absolute necessity that two salaries are needed at all times for those decades? Out of this world childcare expenses? Stagnated salaries versus neverending inflation?

The reality is that they probably wont have a penny to their name by the time they die. Id consider them average people, not brilliant wages, not crap, constantly struggling/worrying about job stability.

Not too far from them, a relative of mine bought a very similar home. Took 8 years to buy a home outright on a stress-free basis. Again, fairly average in all ways. The difference was that she bought in the early 90's, the other couple bought 3 or 4 years ago.

Things are getting worse for affording necessities, and extra people (I don't care where they come from) is one of the main factors that has everything bursting at the seams.

Its completely logical arithmetic. More people = less to go around = degradation.

This is not problem out of which we can build ourselves. Perfectly illustrated by years upon years of the government saying "oh yeah, we'll definitely solve that!". Not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Regardless of the original post, its always the same types of defence put up about this kind of thing.
    Yes, how dare anyone suggest that the fake evicted people in the fake story were anything less than perfect.

Below is a problem that faces every social services sector in all of Ireland, pretty much every day:

Mary is Irish, and her family have been living in Ireland for hundreds of years. Mary also is unemployed and wants a house for her 5 kids as she is classified as homeless.

Mary kicks off bloody murder that she might as well be living in the Sahara, and that her kids are being traumatised from the cruelty you are putting them through by making them live outside Dublin city (not county, Dublin city).

Mary one day says 'feck it', moves out of the house and leaves it abandoned. Mary has rejected what you have provided her. Mary is now once again homeless.

Mary now demands a new house. One where she wants it and with an individual bedroom for each child. Maybe some spare rooms in case Mary has any more children in the next year or two.

I should mention Mary's main mode of communicating with you is threatening to go to Joe Duffy, the Sun, etc and publicly name and shame you... or to say she will have have her relatives pay you 'a visit' in the night unless you get that to her.

If it were up to you, what house would you offer Mary at this point? If she kept refusing the houses you gave her, should tax payers be charged to build Mary the exact house she wants in the exact area she wants?

To be fair, im making a comparison here, not a stand-alone issue. I don't agree with that kind of thing at all, turning down housing. I can understand that there are certainly economic concerns about being dumped outside the main employment zone, that's legitimate.

However, I am not taking about free housing as much as I am affordability, and the reasons everything is getting so expensive.

That said, if I was in marys situation, knowing what I know, I would do my best to get a house in Dublin too. For the future of my children and opportunity.

Here is what would brown me off as Mary, that some irish person got a free house in Dublin, especially if I had lived there all my life. Nobody likes being displaced. What would drive me up the wall is if some non-irish family, similar situation, got to live in Dublin while I couldn't.

Its all about competition, and too much of it. All it does is lower standards. The last thing we need is more people. It is the root cause of spiralling costs and migration is the thing that's throwing a complete spanner in the works.

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, how dare anyone suggest that the fake evicted people in the fake story were anything less than perfect.

Yes, equally balanced by all the talk of fake "brilliant people" that would replace them.

Excellent point :rolleyes:

Yes, equally balanced by all the talk of fake "brilliant people" that would replace them.

Excellent point :rolleyes:

You're using a fake incident to soapbox about the usual.

See my last post for a comparison between your parents and that couple I know

What part of it, exactly? I can't see where you addressed the fact that landlords giving zero fecks about their tenants since Ireland was one perhaps the least popular place to move to in all of Europe.

In fact you seem to have claimed the opposite - hence my quoting you saying that it used to be a lot easier for tenants to 'ruffle their landlords feathers' into making improvements which you now claim to have changed.

Many landlords in Ireland are far from great and intimidate their tenants into accepting poor conditions, but I don't see anything to support your claim that it used to be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The vast majority of people who turn down an offer accept their second one. There was only 116 refusals came from individuals or families listed as homeless in Dublin last year. There are thousands of people homeless in Dublin. Mary isn't the problem

Odhinn wrote: »
    You're using a fake incident to soapbox about the usual.

I was having a back and forth with some people about a related thing to the OP.

Do you like to keep topics streamlined and within your personally acceptable boundaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

For social housing it should be where you are in the queue not how long there heritage is.

We should look after our own first, then people from elsewhere. At the moment the average working Irish person can neither afford to purchase or rent a house in the greater Dublin area and elsewhere, leaving emigration or homelessness as probable outcomes for them.

These people should be jumped to the top of any housing queue - yes, their Irish heritage should count for something. It's called looking after your own.

• Advertisement

I was having a back and forth with some people about a related thing to the OP.

Do you like to keep topics streamlined and within your personally acceptable boundaries?

I prefer to debate real issues using real examples, yes.

What part of it, exactly? I can't see where you addressed the fact that landlords giving zero fecks about their tenants since Ireland was one perhaps the least popular place to move to in all of Europe.

In fact you seem to have claimed the opposite - hence my quoting you saying that it used to be a lot easier for tenants to 'ruffle their landlords feathers' into making improvements which you now claim to have changed.

Many landlords in Ireland are far from great and intimidate their tenants into accepting poor conditions, but I don't see anything to support your claim that it used to be different.

I was making the comparison between "then" and "now" in all regards.

It is simply logical that in a situation where you have crowds of people turning up to viewings for a rental, the eventual tenants are going to be far less vocal about problems, for fear that they'll be chucked out into the crowd again. Ergo they will be forced into accepting lower standards out of fear.

Bad landlords and bad services have been around forever. They are just worse now due to crazy competition. And this competition isn't irish people (statistics from CAO bear that all out, less irish babies being born, but ever increasing population)

There was a story from London last week, about rental agencies charging 500 quid to simply be allowed view a house. Its just one new low after another, there is no different than here.

A country should always be getting better. Progress is an inherent element of happiness. If I was a complete pessimist, I would say Irelands best days are gone, we had a great run from the 90's to early 2000's. This isn't going to turn around without the aid of an upending disaster.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I prefer to debate real issues using real examples, yes.

That's really nice to know. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

Imagine your own child is told to move out of your house so as another stranger can take her place, simply because we "shouldn't be discriminating against anyone".

I have the solution to this problem.

Imagine she didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yea, imagine. That would be terrible.
    Happen much does it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

, I would say Irelands best days are gone, we had a great run from the 90's to early 2000's. This isn't going to turn around without the aid of an upending disaster.

Ah yes the aul 90's.

Big jack, olé olé olé, jo maxi, line dancing, the commitments and of course the unstoppable rise of boyzone.

Great times, we'll never see their likes again, with a bit of luck:D (except jack - that shít was great for a while!)

I have the solution to this problem.

Imagine she didn't.

Country is in a quantifiable downward spiral.

Solution: imagine it isn't!

Such a perfect explanation for so much :)

• Advertisement

Yea, imagine. That would be terrible.
    Happen much does it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah yes the aul 90's.

Big jack, olé olé olé, jo maxi, line dancing, the commitments and of course the unstoppable rise of boyzone.

Great times, we'll never see their likes again, with a bit of luck:D (except jack - that shít was great for a while!)

Yeah it does happen much. See all those people that aren't Irish every single day, well here's a shocker for you... They actually exist!

They live in our houses, use our health services, use our transport etc. Hundreds of thousands in a city of a population just over a million.

If all those things werent falling into shambles, nobody would care.

But they are falling to shambles, and people most do care.

Theres a lot to fix, and step 1 is to stop it getting worse. That means halting migration, then getting down to business of improving these things for Irish people in ireland. A crazy concept!

But that won't happen, it won't be allowed happen. And when it all hits the fan (again), the usual dolts won't be able to connect the biggest dots in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

Fixed your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Eh.... no.! There may be 10k people who want to be thought of as homeless, so they can protest and scream blue murder to get their ‘foreva’ home, but there is not 10k people actually homeless.

This country is too soft on this type of bull****. The likes of the now infamous Ms Cash have been trolling the country with their verbal diarhoeea, and calling all these people homeless is a disservice to people who actually are homeless and who actually require real help.

Yes there are problems, and they require fixing, but the road some people want this country to go down with regards to this ‘housing crises’ is turning the country into a tinderbox, and something is gonna give.

The country cannot sustain the type of social system we have built, and The sooner the better the entitlement culture is dealt with, the sooner we can get to fixing the actual problems.

You cannot just call yourself homeless. You need meet the criteria as set out and accepted by the authorities.
    In short you're spouting baloney. You continue to pay for hotels for people in 'emergency accommodation' as the bill spirals, snug in the knowledge you're not paying for a 'foreva' home ;)

They system we have puts tax monies towards vulture funds and private landlords and subsidies for tax payers who are on low income and can't afford rent. Entitlement my hole, you're conned and helping the con. Vote in FF/FG again, (because de left something something) and expect a change :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mammajamma wrote:
    We cant run a country because irish people have to leave, and somehow we still "need" immigration to replace them? What kind of arse-backwards logic is that? (not aimed at you personally, just in general)

Hey. Welcome to Ireland for the last 40 years. How you expect things to change In the last few years is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Slasher wrote: »
    A moderator, of all people, should not put up stuff like this without verifying its authenticity. Disgraceful.
    Can't you modify the thread title?
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You now know this so why keep asking unless of course you are doing it intentionally. The right thing to do is close the thread

Do you jabronis realise the OP is not an AH moderator? He's just a normal poster like everyone when posting on After Hours. Relax your proverbial cacks.

• Advertisement

Hey. Welcome to Ireland for the last 40 years. How you expect things to change In the last few years is beyond me

Emigration over last 40 years, yes.

Immigration over last 40 years, no.

Migrants into the country started around 2002ish, took a running jump over the subsequent 6 years, slowed during recession, and now it's quite simply unprecedented levels.

Poorly run country before, disastrously run now.

What I expect is the biggest recession in history, and like last time, we have primed ourselves to come out worse than most. Irish people are terribly soft and easily manipulated (look at the french), maybe another massive blow will snap us out of it. Maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A country should always be getting better. Progress is an inherent element of happiness. If I was a complete pessimist, I would say Irelands best days are gone, we had a great run from the 90's to early 2000's. This isn't going to turn around without the aid of an upending disaster.

One country or every country? It would take the resources of five planet Earths to give everyone what people have in the USA. And despite this there is no evidence that the ones in the USA are happier than the poorer people, or happier than they were in the past.

Certainly there are many unhappy people in Ireland. They do not seem to appreciate that we live in one of the most prosperous places in the world, at the very best time in history. They would descend into absolute misery if they had to deal with what faces most of the world's population now, or what their forebears faced here in the past.

You might personally have had a great run back in those days, but you cannot say that the whole country had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Emigration over last 40 years, yes.

Immigration over last 40 years, no.

Migrants into the country started around 2002ish, took a running jump over the subsequent 6 years, slowed during recession, and now it's quite simply unprecedented levels.

Poorly run country before, disastrously run now.

What I expect is the biggest recession in history, and like last time, we have primed ourselves to come out worse than most. Irish people are terribly soft and easily manipulated (look at the french), maybe another massive blow will snap us out of it. Maybe not.

Can you explain your reasoning behind saying that more migrants will cause a recession?

Most people who come here legally work and are net contributors to the exchequer.

ALso there are less foreign nationals living in Ireland now than there were in 2011 according to the CSO https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

The world is overpopulated, becoming more automated, with jobs moving to low cost countries..... Get ready for much more homelessness
    After a while we'll become desensitised to it and then realise no one is entitled to a free house..... Why should they be? Billions of people in the world, there'll always be homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

There's your problem, imagining things that have never happened and trying to blame real people for your imagined problems.

You should get out in the real world occasionally, it's full of lovely things and lovely people of all nationalities, colors and creeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

One country or every country? It would take the resources of five planet Earths to give everyone what people have in the USA. And despite this there is no evidence that the ones in the USA are happier than the poorer people, or happier than they were in the past.

Certainly there are many unhappy people in Ireland. They do not seem to appreciate that we live in one of the most prosperous places in the world, at the very best time in history. They would descend into absolute misery if they had to deal with what faces most of the world's population now, or what their forebears faced here in the past.

You might personally have had a great run back in those days, but you cannot say that the whole country had.

Going back to 70's Ireland everyone with an average job had access to a home, either purchase or rental. One wage earner could afford the repayments on a 3 bed house in the Dublin area, the general rule for borrowing then was 2.5 times salary. Monthly mortgage repayments amounted to about 1 weeks pay. Local authority housing was generally available to those who might not be able to purchase a private house for whatever reason. House rental would have been a short term measure only and certainly not the salary sucker it is now.

When people say this is now a prosperous country I just wonder in light of the present housing crisis how exactly this is so for the majority of people with average jobs, if they can't afford to put a roof over their heads ?

Or are we just prosperous compared to the other disadvantaged countries ? In such case the the term 'better of' rather than ''prosperous' would seem more appropriate.

In addition there was a plethora of flats and bedsits available back in the 70's too, and might I add no hospital queues.

My main point, overall, is that we live in a finite world.

Fine.

Sharing dwindling resources to our detriment.

Not fine.

The government (and some deranged) seem to think we can both share AND improve our lives.

We can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

1 in 3 on homeless list in dublin isnt irish, gotta be costing a few billion a year at this stage

Non-Irish Homelessness in Dublin - Focus Ireland
    https://www.focusireland.ie › non-irish-h...

Jul 2018 · A recent report by the Dublin Region Homeless Executive on families who entered homelessness in Dublin in 2016 and 2017 highlighted that 33% of families entering homelessness are headed by a non-Irish national. This compares unfavorably with 11.6% in the general population.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Can you explain your reasoning behind saying that more migrants will cause a recession?

Most people who come here legally work and are net contributors to the exchequer.

ALso there are less foreign nationals living in Ireland now than there were in 2011 according to the CSO https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

They won't cause the recession, they'll just make things worse until the recession hits.

Then we'll be stuck with rebuilding the kip, and once it looks reasonably okay again, here come the parasites again! And I have no problem viewing Irish people as problems for other countries too. "unsustainable" is the word.

As for reported numbers decreasing, don't forget that more and more are getting Irish papers, therefore no longer counted as Non-irish. Ropey stuff.

railer201 wrote: »
    Going back to 70's Ireland everyone with an average job had access to a home, either purchase or rental. One wage earner could afford the repayments on a 3 bed house in the Dublin area, the general rule for borrowing then was 2.5 times salary. Monthly mortgage repayments amounted to about 1 weeks pay. Local authority housing was generally available to those who might not be able to purchase a private house for whatever reason. House rental would have been a short term measure only and certainly not the salary sucker it is now.

When people say this is now a prosperous country I just wonder in light of the present housing crisis how exactly this is so for the majority of people with average jobs, if they can't afford to put a roof over their heads ?

Or are we just prosperous compared to the other disadvantaged countries ? In such case the the term 'better of' rather than ''prosperous' would seem more appropriate.

In addition there was a plethora of flats and bedsits available back in the 70's too, and might I add no hospital queues.

There's some gigantic chasm between the reported "good news" and observed reality.

Records being broken left right and centre, highest number ever on hospital trolleys, highest rents ever (reported just tonight), over 40% of workers considered to be in "unstable, at risk" employment, 100% national debt ratios and on and on.

But we are somehow, inextricably, "booming"!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement