Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PW Boards Draft XII - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But with Saville and Ali has BH not got two celebs?

Savile wrestled loads of matches for world of sport etc back in the day and iirc wrestler used to be listed in his bios, now such things are kinda overshadowed though.

I’ll pick someone else if needs be though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Savile wrestled loads of matches for world of sport etc back in the day and iirc wrestler used to be listed in his bios, now such things are kinda overshadowed though.

No, ive no objection to it at all.

I would just like to draft a 2nd celeb.

Actually Id love to trade my current celeb for a different celeb. I doubt thats possible though.

Actually Id love to trade my current celeb for a different celeb. I doubt thats possible though.

If anyone hasn’t taken a celeb and is still to pick this round you could trade for whoever you’re looking for

If anyone hasn’t taken a celeb and is still to pick this round you could trade for whoever you’re looking for

That would mean Id have to trade Hugh Jackman away, i doubt anyone would want him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I mean, to be honest I don't really mind if you draft a second celeb, but given the round has already started I don't want to change it midflow as others 'may' have taken celebs had they known it was allowed.

Savile counts as a wrestler under the new rules allowing any promotion, so the pick whilst highly controversial is permissible.

Necro wrote: »
    I mean, to be honest I don't really mind if you draft a second celeb, but given the round has already started I don't want to change it midflow as others 'may' have taken celebs had they known it was allowed.

Savile counts as a wrestler under the new rules allowing any promotion, so the pick whilst highly controversial is permissible.

Would any one object to me swapping my Jackman pick for another celeb?

Would any one object to me swapping my Jackman pick for another celeb?

How do you mean, just dropping Jackman and picking a different one this round?

How do you mean, just dropping Jackman and picking a different one this round?

I was thinking just swapping out Jackman for a different celeb.

Hmmm... not sure on that tbh. I'd be inclined to say no, however if there aren't any objections then I'd permit it if the celeb you want to change to remains undrafted following the conclusion of the picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Have sent a DM to Beaker about this.

giphy.gif

My problem may be resolved thanks to Daithi.

Once he responds, ill throw my next picks up

Have three choices currently that I'm mulling over for two slots. Kinda hoping Liz takes one of them to make the decision for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Think the Saville pick is more trouble than it's worth tbh. I'd worry it would taint the rest of BH's roster since he'll overshadow much of everything else.

It raises problems too like how do you explain a TV company willing to have someone like him on their station? I mean with a guy like Benoit presumably we're ignoring his final days and focusing on who he was before his crimes, but if the idea is that Saville is to get some comeuppance for his crimes then you have to present him as a criminal.

I don't think writing for him would be an enjoyable experience as to do it effectively you'd have to essentially delve into his creepy mind. You'd have to write some pretty dark stuff in order for him to be a fully fleshed out character.

I mean it fascinates me to see what BH will make of it all when it's all said and done, but I think it could end up being a bit of a strain on any writer. Having said that I've seen BH deal with sensitive subjects very well in previous years so I'll keep an open mind.

Think the Saville pick is more trouble than it's worth tbh. I'd worry it would taint the rest of BH's roster since he'll overshadow much of everything else.

It raises problems too like how do you explain a TV company willing to have someone like him on their station? I mean with a guy like Benoit presumably we're ignoring his final days and focusing on who he was before his crimes, but if the idea is that Saville is to get some comeuppance for his crimes then you have to present him as a criminal.

I don't think writing for him would be an enjoyable experience as to do it effectively you'd have to essentially delve into his creepy mind. You'd have to write some pretty dark stuff in order for him to be a fully fleshed out character.

I mean it fascinates me to see what BH will make of it all when it's all said and done, but I think it could end up being a bit of a strain on any writer. Having said that I've seen BH deal with sensitive subjects very well in previous years so I'll keep an open mind.

tbh since I made the pick i've been a little worried about this and thinking maybe I made a mistake. Really hope people don't just see his name and not consider my roster as a result

I actually have an idea in mind that should mean he has minimum involvement in any shows and your queries re: companies inc the fed itself having any qualms about him appearing etc would be addressed without making it the focus. He might not be fully fleshed out as a character as a result but we already know enough about his character imo.

My PPV is not going to follow the normal format this year anyway, right now I have 12 matches planned!

Didn't plan to take Corbin tbh, but couldn't pass him up when he was still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jimmy Savile as in Jim'll Fix It was a wrestler? :eek:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jimmy Savile as in Jim'll Fix It was a wrestler? :eek:

Sure was :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Working on my pick now, but I had a list of like 10 people I'd have wanted that's been savaged in the last few picks :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And done :)

Preview show up. Going with a different approach this year, let's see how it pays off :)

• Advertisement

Seriously, seriously considered drafting Bam Bam myself, he and another were in my thoughts ahead of Corbin but like your Von Erichs pick MNG I didn't want to leave Corbin undrafted.

Bam Bam and the Von Erichs (mostly Kerry) were definitely at the top of my "I can't believe they haven't been drafted yet" list. I'm sure they will have a good home in MNG this year.

Back home now and read through Necro's first show on the phone during the bus ride back from the airport. Very curious to see what you will do with your other 3 shows now that your PPV is already set up.

Hopefully I can start writing something myself this week.

Back home now and read through Necro's first show on the phone during the bus ride back from the airport. Very curious to see what you will do with your other 3 shows now that your PPV is already set up.

Actually, I'm going to give the three posts up to the PPV. Wanted to focus on the actual event itself this year as opposed to the build up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I was bored earlier so I tried to draft a roster from the talent still available. MNG has since went and taken two of the big names I had (Bam Bam & Kerry von Erich), but even still I can put together a really good looking card that wouldn't look too out of place beside the rosters that were actually drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Aaaaand, thats a wrap!

When I was gifted Rikishi, I wanted Naomi in for the storyline, so happy to have her back! Now... To get the write ups done! Have my card planned out this evening, so all systems go!

So with that, the date is set as....

Ah, let's call it for Monday, 11th March at midnight for the deadline for submissions. Then we'll have a week for distribution of the voting cards and reading shows - with a view to announcing the results during the week of the 18th March.

BH or Lordy might edit the 11th March into the OP of the Write Ups thread for me when they get a chance please and thanks :)

I'll post a full finalised roster list when I get home to my trusty spreadsheet this evening as well :D

Liam Neeson is a very interesting celeb pick, a draft debut? Also was his link to wrestling for The A Team?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Liam Neeson is a very interesting celeb pick, a draft debut? Also was his link to wrestling for The A Team?

No he was promoting his film The Grey. If I recall correctly only the other 3 A teamers appeared as part of the A team promtion.

I thought if Liam last year, but him being in the news this past week gave me an idea.

So with that, the date is set as....

Ah, let's call it for Monday, 11th March at midnight for the deadline for submissions. Then we'll have a week for distribution of the voting cards and reading shows - with a view to announcing the results during the week of the 18th March.

BH or Lordy might edit the 11th March into the OP of the Write Ups thread for me when they get a chance please and thanks :)

I'll post a full finalised roster list when I get home to my trusty spreadsheet this evening as well :D

March 11th, im gonna do my best.

Still debating how to approach my 4 posts. Im thinking of writing it like a movie.

tbh since I made the pick i've been a little worried about this and thinking maybe I made a mistake. Really hope people don't just see his name and not consider my roster as a result

I actually have an idea in mind that should mean he has minimum involvement in any shows and your queries re: companies inc the fed itself having any qualms about him appearing etc would be addressed without making it the focus. He might not be fully fleshed out as a character as a result but we already know enough about his character imo.

My PPV is not going to follow the normal format this year anyway, right now I have 12 matches planned!

12 matches.... **** me.

I had the same fears with Chris Benoit last year, i dunno how folks felt about me writing in Benoit as a man whom served his time.

Id love to know how people felt about the idea of a promotion bringing him in after what he did.

• Advertisement

12 matches.... **** me.

Was thinking the same thing myself :pac:
    I had the same fears with Chris Benoit last year, i dunno how folks felt about me writing in Benoit as a man whom served his time.

Id love to know how people felt about the idea of a promotion bringing him in after what he did.

I didn't mind it, part of the fun of the draft is the suspension of actual reality - it is after all a fantasy game where you can have stars of years gone by in their prime match up against today's.

It all depends on context and I thought the kicker at the end resolved the storyline pretty well (Gargano winning and his own son costing him the title)

Was thinking the same thing myself :pac:

I didn't mind it, part of the fun of the draft is the suspension of actual reality - it is after all a fantasy game where you can have stars of years gone by in their prime match up against today's.

It all depends on context and I thought the kicker at the end resolved the storyline pretty well (Gargano winning and his own son costing him the title)

I feel I could never give him the comeuppance he deserved.

Finalised Rosters 2019:

Player Name Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Round 8 Round 9 Round 10 Round 11 Round 12 Round 13 Round 14 Round 15 Round 16
    Mr. Nice Guy Randy Orton Bret Hart AJ Styles Mick Foley Bray Wyatt The Great Muta Terry Gordy & Michael Hayes Bludgeon Brothers Gail Kim Terry & Dory Funk Jr. Demolition Fit Finlay WALTER Big Daddy Mr. Fuji, Ted DiBiase Jr. Bam Bam Bigelow, Kerry & David Von Erich
    Bounty Hunter Shawn Michaels Hiroshi Tanahashi The Rock Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman Ricky Steamboat Jerry Lawler New Age Outlaws Chyna Tessa Blanchard Andre The Giant & Haku Bruno Sammartino Minoru Suzuki Moolah & Mae Young Muhammad Ali Tully Blanchard, Brian Christopher Barry & Kendall Windham, Jimmy Savile
    beakerjoe Becky Lynch Aleister Black Cody Rhodes & Goldust Dusty Rhodes Ted DiBiase Road Warriors Big E & Kofi Kingston Mr Perfect (Trade) Awesome and Aja Kong KENTA Kota Ibushi Eric Bischoff Liam Neeson (Trade) War Raiders IRS, Emma Bad News Allen, Orlando Jordan
    Necro Finn Balor Sheamus CM Punk Marty Scurll (trade) Braun Strowman Gallows & Anderson Shane McMahon Ken Shamrock & Steve Blackman Michelle Mc Cool Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga Lou Thesz Angelina Love & Velvet Sky Mark Henry Tazz Big Boss Man & Bull Buchanan, Pete Gas & Joey Abs Rampage Jackson, Baron Corbin
    Mr. Guappa Ronda Rousey Trish Stratus Randy Savage Rey Mysterio Rusev Will Ospreay Shayna Baszler Umaga Kairi Sane & Mayu Iwatani Jushin Liger Tegan Nox & Dakota Kai Jim Cornette Floyd Mayweather Bob Sapp Jay Lethal, Dan Severn Jessamyn Duke & Marina Shafir, Lana
    daithi1989 John Cena Pete Dunne Goldberg Drew Mc Intyre Nikki Cross Matt Sydal & Ricochet AJ Lee The Revival Carmella The Usos Dolph Ziggler & Alberto Del Rio Ryback R-Truth Enzo Amore & Big Cass Teddy Long, Rikishi Hugh Jackman (Trade), Naomi
    Ruat Caelum Chris Jericho Roddy Piper Hulk Hogan Young Bucks Sami Zayn & Neville Jeff Jarrett Elias World's Greatest Tag Team Bayley Bobby Roode & James Storm Sensational Sherri Hardcore Holly Matt Cross Holy Demon Army Molly Holly, Honky Tonk Man Crash Holly, Greg Valentine
    paulie21 Roman Reigns Edge Ric Flair Scott Steiner Dean Ambrose Matt Hardy Big Show Alexa Bliss Mickie James Sycho Sid & Dan Spivey MVP & Mr. Kennedy Wade Barrett Rob Gronkowski Authors Of Pain Jerry Lynn, Rick Steiner Jinder Mahal, Layla & Kaitlyn
    JP Liz V1 Seth Rollins Owen Hart & British Bulldog Eddie Guerrero Christian John Morrison Austin Aries Curtis Axel & Bo Dallas DH Smith Shaul Guerrero Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin Jack Swagger Marty Jannetty Mr. T Magnus & Nigel McGuinness Noelle Foley, Jamie Noble & Joey Mercury Kozlov & Santino, Brooke Hogan
    Alfred Borden The Undertaker Kane Sting John Bradshaw Layfield Ultimate Warrior Bubba Ray Dudley Lita Paige Melina Raven & Tommy Dreamer Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell Farooq & Doink Mideon & Viscera Yokozuna Reverend D-Von, Jesse Ventura The Bellas, Paul Bearer
    Lord TSC Triple H Kenny Omega Batista The Miz Velveteen Dream Xavier Woods Booker T Stephanie McMahon Rosemary Joey Ryan & Scott Lost Pentagon Jr. & Fenix Peyton Royce & Billie Kay Stephen Amell Val Venis Lucha Dragons, Iron Shiek & Jimmy Snuka Hurricane & Rosey, The Boogeyman
    Shagnastii Kurt Angle Tetsuya Naito Scott Hall, Rick Rude (trade) Vince McMahon Kevin Nash Rob Van Dam (trade), Zack Sabre Jnr Matt Riddle Andrade Cien Almas Zelina Vega William Regal Bobby Heenan EVIL & Sanada Kim Kardashian EC3 Carlito & Chris Masters, X-Pac Bushi & Hiromu Takashi, Rick Martel
    SlickRic Brock Lesnar Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi Steve Austin Chris Benoit Vader Bruiser Brody Tyler Bate & Trent Seven Dynamite Kid Sable Tiger Mask Dean Malenko & Perry Saturn Paul Heyman Rock'N'Roll Express Jim Ross Tomihiro Ishii, John Kronus Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkel
    A Brad Maddox Guy Daniel Bryan Cesaro & Tyson Kidd Samoa Joe Jake Roberts Shinsuke Nakamura Jeff Hardy Diamond Dallas Page Asuka Io Shirai American Wolves Jordan Devlin Chris Hero Donald Trump Natalya Apollo Crews & Titus O Neil, Low Ki Test & Albert, Muhammad Hussan & Daivairi
    DM_7 Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa Kazuchika Okada Kevin Owens Lashley Charlotte Kyle O'Reilly & Adam Cole American Alpha Sasha Banks Toni Storm The Briscoes Beth Phoenix Roderick Strong Candice La Rae Christopher Daniels & Kazarian Mustafa Ali, Corey Graves Rhea Ripley, Bobby Fish

Whom were the wrestlers that didnt get drafted.

Godfather is one I can see not drafted.

Whom were the wrestlers that didnt get drafted.

Godfather is one I can see not drafted.

Ones I was personally surprised about were Mike Tyson, Ember Moon and Nia Jax (to a degree)

Ones I was personally surprised about were Mike Tyson, Ember Moon and Nia Jax (to a degree)

Regardless if your like Nia or not, shes a big hitter and was one person I thought about. Kharma fitted the bill better

Others (based off last years rosters):

Teddy Hart, Gentleman Jack Gallagher, Sean O'Haire (who is usually a popular pick, once went in round 1 iirc), London & Kendrick, Lio Rush (thought he might go as a mouthpiece for someone), Natural Disasters, Vince Russo, Ultimo Dragon.

There's more but arguably a bit more obscure than the above.

Regardless if your like Nia or not, shes a big hitter and was one person I thought about. Kharma fitted the bill better

Thing about Nia is she'd be easy enough to write for imo. Wasn't in my plans this year but was surprised no one grabbed her in the last few rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

No real stand out roster this year either. All decent across the board. Generally there’s always one or two that are brimming with more stars than others.

• Advertisement

Outside of those already mentioned like Tyson, O'Haire, Ultimo Dragon & Nia

Sabu is another I thought might have been taken. In recent years him and the Godfather would have both been taken as part of tag teams but this year the tag partners were both taken individually - Val Venis from Supply & Demand and Tazz from their ECW tag champs run respectively. Stan Hansen similarly would often go with a tag partner.

Bob Backlund was the 2nd longest reigning WWF champion but didn't get drafted. When I gifted Shiek & Snuka to LTSC another similar option would have seen undrafted Nikolai Volkoff as Shieky baby's partner. Similarily when I had thought I was gifting someone to Al I was going to give him D-Von & Spike who ended up not being drafted.

Speaking of which when I did give LTSC his Shiek & Snuka, if he hadn't chosen the mystery box he would have gotten either (coin toss) Woods' former tag partner Jay Lethal who was still available at the time or the not surprisingly undrafted team of Mason Ryan (as he had who he was cloned from, Batista) and Alex Riley (cos he has the Miz).

With so many women taken this year it's a little surprising that Sara Del Ray (who was taken the past few years), Kaitlyn and Molly Holly didn't end up on anyone's rosters too. Then if you go a bit more old school you could have seen people like Buddy Rodgers, Killer Kowalski , Antonio Inoki, The Brisco Brothers or Pat Patterson taken. Finally X-Pac is someone usually drafted that I considered because of my DX links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i've just had Tyson too many times now. it's probably a missed opportunity with Austin there, but there's only so many times I want to book the same people :)

Others (based off last years rosters):

Teddy Hart, Gentleman Jack Gallagher, Sean O'Haire (who is usually a popular pick, once went in round 1 iirc), London & Kendrick, Lio Rush (thought he might go as a mouthpiece for someone), Natural Disasters, Vince Russo, Ultimo Dragon.

There's more but arguably a bit more obscure than the above.

I was gonna draft Teddy Hart and Pillman Jr for Liz. Also Vicky Guerrero too.

Hope I drafted good for you Liz

I had planned all along that my last two picks were going to be Sabu and...

Tee hee... Necro Butcher.

But when I traded RVD I changed my plans up a good bit as is evident.

I didn't really have anything for Necro Butcher anyways, it would have been purely for namesake and sh1ts and giggle reasons :pac:

SlickRic wrote: »
    i've just had Tyson too many times now. it's probably a missed opportunity with Austin there, but there's only so many times I want to book the same people :)

Also this, I think it was Bounty who said to me via PM there's a lot of regulars still playing who would have used most of the old school celebs (Tyson, Ali, Mayweather etc.) at least one if not numerous times so it might be a reason for some seemingly mainstays like Tyson not going this year.

Also this, I think it was Bounty who said to me via PM there's a lot of regulars still playing who would have used most of the old school celebs (Tyson, Ali, Mayweather etc.) at least one if not numerous times so it might be a reason for some seemingly mainstays like Tyson not going this year.

Yeah that was me, probably cited it as the reason why I took someone like Adam West last year too. Found him to be someone fun and different to book instead of the usual. That said this year I went for Ali again but actually waited a round after celebs became eligible before pulling the trigger on him and will probably end up using him more for his promo skills than for his in ring ability this time. Have the Greatest meet The Great one etc

I like that celebs didn't have to be taken in the specific celeb round this year too as otherwise I might have just passed up the option.

• Advertisement

I like that celebs didn't have to be taken in the specific celeb round this year too as otherwise I might have just passed up the option.

One stip I didn't pull the trigger on this year was a bonus auction round.

I'd take 15 undrafted superstars of differing time periods, ability and prestige etc and randomise them. Then one by one I'd chuck them up on the picks thread. First person to post that they wanted them, got them. It's risk reward as there might be a gem later in the round or the rest might not fit your roster properly at all.

Not sure if it would have worked well or not though.

I was gonna draft Teddy Hart and Pillman Jr for Liz. Also Vicky Guerrero too.

Hope I drafted good for you Liz

You did Sir, even though I did have Teddy in mind too

Was Chavo Snr and Jnr also not picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Jay “Switchblade” White get drafted?

Shocking, given recent events.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Jay “Switchblade” White get drafted?

Shocking, given recent events.

Nope, didn't go this year either.