Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming PC (1200 - 1500)

Options
  • 13-12-2018 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need a new gaming PC, any help is really appreciated.

1. What is your budget? €1200 - €1500 (the cheaper the better)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (I would like to be able to run the latest games like Dark souls, Battlefield V, Farcry 5 etc)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Card

9. When are you purchasing? In January/February

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Don't really need help

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

diyeys wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need a new gaming PC, any help is really appreciated.

1. What is your budget? €1200 - €1500 (the cheaper the better)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (I would like to be able to run the latest games like Dark souls, Battlefield V, Farcry 5 etc)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Card

9. When are you purchasing? In January/February

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Don't really need help

Thanks again

You say you don't need help, is that because you know how to build it or because you want to buy it pre-made?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭diyeys

troyzer wrote: »
    You say you don't need help, is that because you know how to build it or because you want to buy it pre-made?

I built one of my previous PCs few years ago, unless it is more complicated now I believe I can do it myself. But I can buy it pre-made if needed as well

Hey guys, any help with this? I would really appreciate that.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Eh, any views on the Dell/Alienware stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

If you're going to build your own take a look at https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/ It'll help you identify what components are compatible or not. I built a couple in the last few months based around Ryzen 7 chips and used the site to help me find what else I needed. I set the site to the UK version and bought exclusively from Amazon because I have Prime (for faster cheaper shipping and access to some better deals) and their return policy is great. Other websites were cheaper for some things but not enough to justify the hassle of dealing with multiple suppliers.

If you don't have Prime you can sign up for a month, buy your stuff and then cancel. If you are buying from the UK it's worth getting a Revoult card. Transfer € to the card then do the currency conversion to £ in the app (during weekdays gets you a better rate) and use the Revoult card to pay directly in £. I saved over €100 in rates compared to just using my Visa Debit card.

With regards to what components to go for, https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/ has plenty of examples and builds that others have created that you can copy and modify to suit yourself. My requirements were different to yours so I'm not going to advise other than to say that if your current version of Windows is OEM then you may have hassle transferring it to your new PC so either read up on it or budget for a copy of Windows 10.

Before you order anything, triple check that you have all the parts you need and that they are all compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Mushkin - Enhanced Silverline 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£106.75 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Mini Video Card (£357.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.38 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£77.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £894.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-25 02:26 GMT+0000

Superb gaming PC for a grand.

One more question guys, if you don't mind. Do I need a different CPU cooler or the one with the CPU will be good enough? I am assuming it also comes with thermal compound?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

diyeys wrote: »
    One more question guys, if you don't mind. Do I need a different CPU cooler or the one with the CPU will be good enough? I am assuming it also comes with thermal compound?

Thanks again

The CPU cooler it comes with is fine even for a little overclock, however there are tons of great options in the 25-40 range that are even better/quieter.
    Doesn't hurt to pick up a tube of thermal paste.

Regarding GPU, get the new RTX 2060 instead of GTX 1070 Ti - higher performance at same cost.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The CPU cooler it comes with is fine even for a little overclock, however there are tons of great options in the 25-40 range that are even better/quieter.
    Doesn't hurt to pick up a tube of thermal paste.

Regarding GPU, get the new RTX 2060 instead of GTX 1070 Ti - higher performance at same cost.

Thank you, really appreciated

Advertisement