Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan & Neil Young, Kilkenny July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

mac_daddy wrote: »
    What do you reckon the odds are of being allowed to bring in a folder out chair. Wifey needs a hip op in August and unable to stand for long periods.

I’d day Zero,in the GA area, what you need is a seated ticket. But, you could enquire with TM, as there is a disability section

RIP Elliot Roberts, Neil Youngs manager for more than 40 years, one of those music industry giants, and a very clever guy.

Very insighful interview on how the recorded music industry works, including the digital music f**kup

https://youtu.be/UKgaIYd-fk4

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So off the Essential Bob Dylan album i have he plays 6 songs from it out of a 20 song set :(:(

Going to be an odd evening for all us event junkies and then we have Neil Young doing 10 min guitar jams

look ill make the most of it and be nice to see these legends in person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

PTH2009 wrote:
    So off the Essential Bob Dylan album i have he plays 6 songs from it out of a 20 song set

Dylan has never pandered to the audience. You might not even recognise those six songs.

Cazale wrote: »
    Dylan has never pandered to the audience. You might not even recognise those six songs.

Yeah after watching some clips from this year on YouTube I wont lol

Long days are Mr Tambourine man and Hurricane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cazale wrote:

I've seen him many times since Slane 1984. There are times he'd be half way through a song when I realise what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So off the Essential Bob Dylan album i have he plays 6 songs from it out of a 20 song set :(:(

Going to be an odd evening for all us event junkies and then we have Neil Young doing 10 min guitar jams

Neil Young will "play the hits". Dylan will keep the venue bars busy during his set!!

Anyone any idea on the best place to park for this gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 acer4220

having worked all other previous nowlan park concerts i would say provided you say it to one of the lads on entry you will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Peter File wrote: »
    Neil Young will "play the hits". Dylan will keep the venue bars busy during his set!!
    Yeah Neil does greatest hits with that band (promise of Real). It's only with Crazy Hoss that he does the extended jams

• Advertisement

Yeah Neil does greatest hits with that band (promise of Real). It's only with Crazy Hoss that he does the extended jams

Extended jams can be good but standing in front of a speaker doing a feedback jam for 20 minutes gets old real quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ Phunkadelic Re "Yeah Neil does greatest hits with that band (promise of Real). It's only with Crazy Horse that he does the extended jams".

Were you at the last NY + POTR show at the 3arena?
    Extended jams were the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

poundhound wrote: »
    @ Phunkadelic Re "Yeah Neil does greatest hits with that band (promise of Real). It's only with Crazy Horse that he does the extended jams".

Were you at the last NY + POTR show at the 3arena?
    Extended jams were the order of the day.

Very much so. I remember Down by the River was about 20 minutes and Love and Only Love not much shorter.

Feckin' glorious, if you ask me...:D

It is what it is. Let Neil be Neil. There'll be a good mix of the acoustic and the electric, though. Usually the former for the first 7 or 8 tunes, so something for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Don't bother?

mrk75 wrote: »
    Very much so. I remember Down by the River was about 20 minutes and Love and Only Love not much shorter.

Feckin' glorious, if you ask me...:D

It is what it is. Let Neil be Neil. There'll be a good mix of the acoustic and the electric, though. Usually the former for the first 7 or 8 tunes, so something for everyone...

Totally agree,
    Neil does what he wants, when he wants it, and i love the variety of which he is capable of delivering live.

i’m just fine with the long jams, which have been a particular trade mark of a good chunk of the albums with Crazy Horse, which left many casual fans bewildered, at his last big outdoor RDS gig, clearly they don’t know what CH is about, and it was clearly billed as CH, and has been a consistent feature of CH albums particularly their most recent two albums, “Psychedelic Pill” in particular, which had come out before that RDS gig, so what would any sane person expect them to play ? Tracks from “Harvest”, get real.

With POTR, he has been playing less long jams, but i don’t expect them to be totally absent either, and he will do solo accoustic as well.

Anyone expecting a brace of tracks from the “Harvest” album from 47 years ago, will thankfully be dissapointed. Neil has 50 albums ‘ish and an unrivalled collection of material, so there is so much he could play.

Also, he has hinted at a European acoustic tour, and he hasn’t done than since 2003 at Vicar Street, that would be something if it comes off.

I love both the loud gigs and the quieter gigs, which one would want to like, as his albums vary so much. Bring it on Neil !

Birneybau wrote: »
    Don't bother?

Ah it's up the road and I got a cheap standing ticket

Might as well go

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ah it's up the road and I got a cheap standing ticket

Might as well go

Well, don't moan about it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Here is the setlist Dylan has played at his last two concerts. If it's something like that in Kilkenny I'll be happy.

Stockholm, Sweden
    Ericsson Globe
    June 26, 2019

1.Things Have Changed (Bob on piano)
    2.It Ain't Me, Babe (Bob on piano)
    3.Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano)
    4.Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on piano and harp)
    5.Can't Wait (Bob center stage)
    6.When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob on piano and harp)
    7.Honest With Me (Bob on piano)
    8.Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    9.Scarlet Town (Bob on center stage, Donnie on banjo, Tony on standup bass)
    10.Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano and harp)
    11.Pay In Blood (Bob on piano)
    12.Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    13.Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    14.Girl From The North Country (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    15.Love Sick (Bob on piano)
    16.Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin)
    17.Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
    18.Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)  

(encore)
    19.Blowin' In The Wind 
    (Bob on piano, Donnie on violin, Tony on standup bass)
    20.It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    (Bob on piano)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Here is the setlist Dylan has played at his last two concerts. If it's something like that in Kilkenny I'll be happy.

Stockholm, Sweden
    Ericsson Globe
    June 26, 2019

You might want to put spoiler tags around that in case people would rather not know the set list in advance.
    Girl from the North Country was only played at his most recent show. Prior to that he had played Don't think twice its alright in that slot.

His setlist doesn't really change much these days over the course of the tour so what you've listed there will probably be what we get in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It would be great to see Dylan and Young do a song or 2 together, do you think it will happen?

https://twitter.com/bscore/status/1122261325718200321?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

adrian522 wrote: »
    It would be great to see Dylan and Young do a song or 2 together, do you think it will happen?

Not a hope unfortunately.

Stockholm, Sweden
    Ericsson Globe
    June 26, 2019

1.Things Have Changed (Bob on piano)
    2.It Ain't Me, Babe (Bob on piano)
    3.Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano)
    4.Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on piano and harp)
    5.Can't Wait (Bob center stage)
    6.When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob on piano and harp)
    7.Honest With Me (Bob on piano)
    8.Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    9.Scarlet Town (Bob on center stage, Donnie on banjo, Tony on standup bass)
    10.Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano and harp)
    11.Pay In Blood (Bob on piano)
    12.Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    13.Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    14.Girl From The North Country (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    15.Love Sick (Bob on piano)
    16.Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin)
    17.Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
    18.Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)  

(encore)
    19.Blowin' In The Wind 
    (Bob on piano, Donnie on violin, Tony on standup bass)
    20.It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    (Bob on piano)

I’m an avid fan of Mr. Dylan but even I might need that list to help me identify the song being played the way Dylan does them these days- if I was going I’d actually copy it to my phone. :D

For those going to see “The legends” for the first time, I really hope you feel as good a buzz as I did when I first saw them many years ago :)

PS- Dylan played ****e at my the first gig I saw but amazing at the second but I enjoyed both immensely- and the only place to be is standing right up at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Last ask of any means of transport to and from Dublin? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Last ask of any means of transport to and from Dublin? :o

Dublin coach run busses every 2 hours from centre if Dublin to/from Kilkenny-the M9 service.
    You get off at the first Kilkenny stop (McDonagh junction) and you are less than 5 minutes walk from Nowlan Park- concert venue.
    JJ Kavanagh also run a bus service (check their website). Also the train station is very close but going back mightn’t be a runner.
    I’d also google busses to the concert.

majo wrote: »
    Dublin coach run busses every 2 hours from centre if Dublin to/from Kilkenny-the M9 service.
    You get off at the first Kilkenny stop (McDonagh junction) and you are less than 5 minutes walk from Nowlan Park- concert venue.
    JJ Kavanagh also run a bus service (check their website). Also the train station is very close but going back mightn’t be a runner.

Loads of busses coming up from other counties in a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

majo wrote: »

Plenty of ways to get there, but none to get back. No train has been announced after 18:45. No Kavanaghs after 19:30. Last Dublin M9 Coach is 21:45. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JoeBox

For people looking for a bus. I just bought a ticket from here

http://quinns-coach-trips.mybigcommerce.com/bob-dylan-neil-young-2019/

It starts in the north and last stop is at Red Cow before Kilkenny

Plenty of ways to get there, but none to get back. No train has been announced after 18:45. No Kavanaghs after 19:30. Last Dublin M9 Coach is 21:45. :(
    If anyone was stuck (other busses sold out) there is a Kavanagh’s bus leaving Kilkenny at around 2.15am. Lots of late night bars open until then! I would book in advance though!

https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=4&query=Bob+dylan+ireland

Owl Bob played here quite a lot looking at this and even played in my home town of Waterford at the Feile mhor festival at Tramore racecourse in 1993.

3rd time in Kilkenny this year. I'm sure he prob not 100% sure of where he is nowadays

• Advertisement

Neil Young played the first night of his 9 gig Euro tour in Denmark last night, setlist:

1. Love And Only Love
    2. Mr. Soul
    3. Powderfinger
    4. Words
    5. Winterlong
    6. Alabama
    7. Unknown Legend
    8. From Hank To Hendrix
    9. She Showed Me Love
    10. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    11. Cowgirl In The Sand
    12. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    13. F*!#in' Up
    14. Down By The River
    15. Throw Your Hatred Down
    16. Mansion On The Hill
    17. Rockin' In The Free World

There are 7 more gigs before Nowlan Park, he is likely to be up to 40 different tracks played across those gigs, by that gig, he has big setlist changes

Advertisement